Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
amy_basel

How do I lighten this up and modernize it?

Amy Basel
3 years ago

This is a lake house. I want to make it light with whites, navy, red, taupe.

Comments (17)

• Tara Jean
    3 years ago

Hi there, I have a few ideas, but first was wondering if you have any pictures of the side of the room the couch is on? (Taken from the fireplace side for example.) Is it a blank wall with the same paneling? What would you say your favorite design style is? Contemporary, modern farmhouse etc. Also, if you want to post a few pictures of rooms you like (from Pinterest for example) so people can get a sense of your style, it would be helpful. I'll get back to you with some pics of my ideas shortly!

• jck910
    3 years ago

Whitewash or paint the paneling

• Indecisiveness
    3 years ago

I second a large, light area rug.

• ShadyWillowFarm
    3 years ago

Paint the brick a creamy white. Find a big area rug with the colors and see how that looks before painting the paneling.

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

Navy. red and taupe do not cojure up light in my head. Waht exactly do you want to do with those colors. I agree paint the wood or the brick I would not do both and a huge light area rug and always the first step is improve the lighting IMO all bulbs in LEDs in 4000K will add brighness even if you made no other changes. This does not look like an old house to me with that flooring but really I think we need more info.

• gardener123
    3 years ago

Lots of threads here on limewash for brick. Agree with leaving the wood, lightning the brick, and a large light rug. Beautiful space!

• Theresa Janssen
    3 years ago

you have a lovely space and I personally love the wood panelled walls. I actually could see the room going in a more vintage direction, think catskills, with an updated feel with the furniture. heres a couple pics to give you an idea of what I mean. slipcovered furniture, fleamarket tables, vintage accessories. for fireplace, I might get a chunky wood mantle and then get a huge object to put on the fireplace, like something personal to the area, maybe a big map of the lake?

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    3 years ago

I think the question was to modernize the space so IMO no vintage and honestly just because it is on a lake does not say catskills .

• Melissa R
    3 years ago

• Theresa Janssen
    3 years ago

to me, modernize is a very broad term that can have multiple meanings and interpretations. just a suggestion that can be ignored if that's not the intended direction.

• IdaClaire
    3 years ago

Theresa, I love your suggestions and if it were my home, that's a direction I'd strongly consider going. So classic! Agree that "modernize" is a very broad term. I'd think a designer would know that.

• housegal200
    3 years ago

Second and thirding keeping the panelling to maintain the lake house vibe. Painting everything or whitewashing will result more in a suburban house feeling. If that's what you want, then go for it. But light rug, art work, furnishings, lighting will give you the lighter feeling you want yet keep that warm, lake house coziness. Light canvas slipcovers are something to consider if you're bringing in dark furniture--washable and great if you plan to entertain a lot.

Vermont Home 2012 · More Info

Beartooth Foothills · More Info

• IdaClaire
    3 years ago

Beautiful inspiration pics above! A "modern Catskills vibe" is a thing. And it's lovely.

• PRO
    Home Interiors with Ease
    3 years ago

Hi Gina S

how wonderful to have a lake house!

i wouldn’t touch the fireplace or the floors..have the paneled walls painted it will really lighten up the room....pull colors from the brick like grey and taupe...carry it throughout than just add In the blue..be careful with the addition of reds it will start looking like a Fourth of July house😉. Stick with all the neutrals the color should come in last with art and pillows....add a big neutral textured rug in the fireplace room...just hold off on adding color until all the main pieces are added and the walls are painted.

• housegal200
    3 years ago

Navy/white--could add some red pillows/accents

• PRO
    Home Interiors with Ease
    3 years ago

another great accent is soft celery green with blues...taupe neutrals