Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
xyzw2020

Master Bathroom Remodeling - Advice Please

A Green
3 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

Hello all, we just bought a 60's house, the master bathroom was renovated in 2005, but it's very small, probably only 6x8. Currently it only has a builder-grade tub/shower combo and a 54" vanity with a single sink.

I really want to expand it from a 4-piece to a 5-piece full bath: adding a freestanding tub, installing a nice walk-in shower with an overhead shower head and a wall-mounted spray, and a double sink. We are going to borrow space from the walk-in closet nextdoor (we will still have a walk-in closet, just smaller because the original one was huge) Therefore, the remodeling project will require plumbing,demo/rebuild a wall, tiling, cabinet+countertop, sink, etc.

My GC quoted me $30K, labor + material (excluding wall paint). I am not sure this is a wise investment. I know I will enjoy a nice spacious master bath, but I've never done remodeling before, so the price tag is shocking and I just couldn't make a decision. Will this kind project be just a leisure or I will get return on investments when I sell the house later? Thank you for your input!

Comments (43)

• Gerry
    3 years ago

The cost is not crazy high. What’s included in the contract? I wouldn’t angle the tub as it will be difficult to clean back there. As for getting your return when you sell, it depends on your neighborhood and how much longer you plan on living there.

A Green thanked Gerry
  • anj_p
    3 years ago

Unless you take a lot of baths and don't have another tub in the house, I wouldn't add a separate tub. A lot of people these days are taking tubs out of master baths in favor of large walk-in showers. As PP mentioned, this may be region-specific. Our custom build plan doesn't have a tub in the master bath.

Secondly, your remodel doesn't address lack of storage. If you do go through with it, I would do one sink in a larger vanity to give more bathroom storage space. If this were my bath, I'd convert the tub to a walk-in shower and maybe steal some closet space for a linen closet and that's it.

A Green thanked anj_p
  • A Green
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Gerry, the 30K estimate includes about 11K material and include all work I asked for in the OP. I plan to live there for a long time. We have saved for a long time. The neighborhood gears towards families with school-age children as it offers the top elementary/middle/high school. Thank you for the point on cleaning the angled tub; didn't think of that.

• A Green
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Hi anj_p, all good points here, I didn't think of storage...this is our 2nd house and we plan to stay for a long time. Our first house has a tiny master bath with a super skinny shower. Instinctively, I just want a big MB. Currently, if I bent to open the cabinet under the sink, I would be like sitting on the toilet already...I do need to consider other points you mentioned for practical reasons.

• PRO
    Sharon Brindley Designs
    3 years ago

Quick question - what things and what quantity of things would you need to store in your en-suite?

A Green thanked Sharon Brindley Designs
  • A Green
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Hi Sharon, storage is for personal items, not much linen. My husband has very few, I have hair products, make-up, hair dryer..etc.

• Gcubed
    3 years ago

following

• A Green
    Original Author
    3 years ago

If I do above-vanity sinks, would that give me more space down below in the cabinet? What are the cons for those above -vanity sinks?

• PRO
    Sharon Brindley Designs
    3 years ago

It all depends on the plumbing - I’ll take a look at your floor plan tomorrow- a well designed en-suite is usually a good return on investment, especially if you plan to stay in the house for a while.

• PRO
    Sharon Brindley Designs
    3 years ago

Morning, A Green! Do you have a plan with room dimensions vs. square footage?

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    3 years ago

IMO sq footage means nothing, post the actual measurements of all the walls and sizes of vanity and tub. A freestanding tub needs a min. of 12” all around it and IMO a lot more visually. I find the best solution usually is to either forget a tub or use a nice deep soaker/ shower .There is no way IMO to have 2 sinks and no counter it makes no sense .

A Green thanked Patricia Colwell Consulting
  • PRO
    Sharon Brindley Designs
    3 years ago

Hi A Green: with the overall size of your new bathroom, you have enough room to get everything on your wish list. Wall dimensions and the location and size of the windows is important. Looking forward to receiving more details.

• PRO
    Sharon Brindley Designs
    3 years ago

One more question - is there a view from the spot you’ve placed the freestanding tub that you’re trying to capture from the window?

• acm
    3 years ago

Vessel sinks don't give more storage, because the vanity has to be lower to keep the sink at a usable level. They can give a bit more counter.

I think I would just steal two feet of closet depth behind the current vanity, so that you have more feeling of space in there and can have a real double vanity on the same wall with lots of drawers and cabinets. Then make the tub/shower into a more luxurious feeling shower (a couple inches wider, more luxe plumbing) and a glass enclosure, and the room will feel double the size without getting you into a host of unnecessary headaches.

Avanity Windsor 72" Vanity Only, White Finish · More Info

72" Black Vanity, 24" Double Sink Bases, Double 12 Drawer Bases, LV4-C16-72-B · More Info

Katherine 72" Bathroom Vanity, Marine Gray, Carrara Marble · More Info

72" Modern Bathroom Vanity Set, Mirror and Sink LV2-C14-72-G, Gray · More Info

Abbey 72" Double Bath Vanity, White, Carrara Marble · More Info

Courtyard || Remodel || Austin, Texas || Bathroom · More Info

Unfortunately, the price won't change a lot with a simpler ambition, because a lot of it is the labor for taking up and putting down tile and all the fussy bits. But $1000-2000 less for the tub, and again for the plumbing you don't have to do over there, and the rest will about break even.

A Green thanked acm
  • acm
    3 years ago

Like so:

A Green thanked acm
  • A Green
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Hi Sharon, here’s the dimensions

• PRO
    Sharon Brindley Designs
    3 years ago

Can you give the dimensions of the existing closets too please.

• A Green
    Original Author
    3 years ago

The closet is 90” wide and 81” deep

• PRO
    Sharon Brindley Designs
    3 years ago

Is this the part you wish to add to the en-suite?

• A Green
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Yes, it’s the walk-in closet’s top portion on the picture. here’s the complete measurements.

the walk-in closet is huge. they only have shelves in the top portion of the closet. the previous owner carved out a chunk from the bedroom, which is the bottom portion of the closet.

• felizlady
    3 years ago

When giving measurements for comments, length and width in feet and inches is much more useful....square footage is interesting but not helpful.

• btydrvn
    3 years ago

For re-sale a bigger bath is a good investment...and if you sell in the future a bit ......that is years of a more comfortable use of the bath...but if the money can be used better elsewhere you could assign another bath for one of you to use regularly...we have done this for years as my husband likes his own bath and many times is up earlier to get ready for golf....i like it because i like my bath spotless and pretty...whenever I use it...it is easy for me to keep his bath clean after he is done...without facing it in the morning before i can use the bath myself...

• Design Girl
    3 years ago

How often would the soaking tub get used. I put one in about 10 years ago and have used it twice. Your best bet might be to steal some room from the closet for a 72 inch vanity with two sinks and a nice large shower.

A Green thanked Design Girl
  • A Green
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Hi btydrvn, the thought of having my own bath did cross my mind. It would be SOOO nice. However, there are only two bathroom on the upper level. My tween daughter has the 2nd bath, which is enormous, almost double the size of the MB. The 2nd bath shares a plumbing wall with the MB and has vanity on one end and the toilet + shower/tub on this other end (this is the end next to the MB).

At one point, I thought about maybe steal some space from the 2nd bath, but was told that's a bad idea, cost-wise. I would be facing the expenses of two bathroom remodels...

• btydrvn
    3 years ago

How about switching bedrooms?

• btydrvn
    3 years ago

Or posting the layout of the adjoining baths and rooms...there may be an unexpected combo possible.?

• A Green
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Hi Design Girl, if I put in a nice freestanding bath, I probably will use it at least once a month. I just thought since I am going to remodel, I might as well have a 5-piece bath, I will enjoy and add value to the house.

I guess all the comments thinking the $30K remodel is reasonable for the scope of the work. Thank you all for that feedback.

• btydrvn
    3 years ago

Gotta think outside the box

• PRO
    Sharon Brindley Designs
    3 years ago

Some notes:

• small linen cabinet to the left of the entrance
    • shower is 4’ x 3’
    • left toilet in the same spot (if you want to go to the expense of moving sewer pipe, a whole new world of design opens up
    • short stub wall mid-way between windows for back-to-back vanities (I’ve seen similar walls made of tempered glass at counter height templates to attach mirrors which lets more natural light into the room but is expensive)
    • fantastic storage options for the remainder of your closet with IKEA
  • PRO
    Sharon Brindley Designs
    3 years ago

Would you consider entering the bathroom via the closet? This too would open up more design opportunities.

• PRO
    Sharon Brindley Designs
    3 years ago

Here’s an example of a tub that looks like it is freestanding but is attached to the wall:

http://www.acritec.com/product/rochelle-67-semi-freestanding-bathtubs/

• A Green
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Wow, Sharon! This is beautiful! The back-to-back single sinks are very refreshing! Quick question, can I make the wall between the toilet and shower all glass or maybe half-glass?

• A Green
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Sharon, I did think about entering bathroom from the closet. I didn't know how to pull it off. I need two complete walls for hanging the clothes. Out of four walls, one has a window, one (directly opposite the window) has a entryway...

• PRO
    Sharon Brindley Designs
    3 years ago

Hi A Green: yes, you can have a full glass or half glass shower - it just means moving the existing water lines water lines - to save on budget try to keep the drain in more or less the same spot. Do check out ikea for closet organization - my closet worked out very well (put it together myself) and it is only 7’ x 5’ with tons of organized storage:

• PRO
    Sharon Brindley Designs
    3 years ago

IKEA will help you with the design - take accurate measurements with you (including where the window is on the wall (how high) or you can go to their website and download their planner software.

• A Green
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thank you for the tips. I will check IKEA.

• A Green
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thank you all for taking the time to respond! I've picked many great points here. As you might tell, I am quite overwhelmed by what's ahead of me. I am eager to move in due to two mortgages, but I obviously don't know much about design and remodeling in general.

• A Green
    Original Author
    3 years ago

A new question: Should I tile the wall first, and then drill holes to put on floating shelves, or shelves first and tile around it?

• PRO
    Sharon Brindley Designs
    3 years ago

Tile first but be careful - need to use the correct drill & drill bit to go through tile without cracking - suggest getting your contractor or cabinet maker to install

• A Green
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Renewing this post due to the change of remodeling plan. Thank you very much for Sharon's design. Truly appreciate! However, I have realized expanding the MB probably not wise given cost involved ($30K) and our local market. The neighborhood was built in the 60's, so there are plenty of houses with small MB.

I've decided to keep the existing floor plan and just refresh with a nice 4.5' (or 4') x 3' walk-in shower, new fixture, new tiles. I welcome all the feedback.

A few notes:

1) shower will have frameless glass, low threshold, floor to ceiling tiles (light color)

2) toilet will be floor mount (half-wall tile behind the toilet and 2 floating shelves above the toilet)

3) Vanity will be floating (I think it makes the small bath look bigger)

4) Storage will be this linen closet next to the shower. I think it's about 12" wide and 3' deep. I am thinking to make it a slide-out shelf with door. (attached inspiration picture). Not sure how much this one is going to cost. Ideas?

5) I am still not sure where to put the towel rack. Its current position is right next to the door. Untidy towels will be the first thing you see...but I don't where else to put it.

Pictures:

1) Current layout

2) Design - DH did it.

3) Pull-out cabinet inspiration

4) Vanity inspiration

5) Tile inspiration

• PRO
    Sharon Brindley Designs
    3 years ago

If seeing the towels is a worry for you, have the door swing the other way, then your new, beautifully tiled, frameless shower will be the first thing you see (or always rehang the towels neatly after use 😁 - our towel racks are the handles on our frameless glass doors into the shower & toilet enclosures and untidiness isn’t an issue). For a more casual look, you could have towel hooks on that wall ....

A Green thanked Sharon Brindley Designs
  • claire larece
    3 years ago

As soon as you come in why not make that your closet and the closet your bathroom? Not in the budget because it doesn’t cost much to the plumbing lines.