Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
xyzw2020

Small Bathroom Remodel - feedback please!

A Green
3 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

Have a small master bathroom. Currently I can not open the vanity cabinet without feeling practically already sitting on the toilet... Due to budget, I've decided to keep the existing floor plan and just refresh with a nice 4.5' (or 4') x 3' walk-in shower, new fixture, new tiles. However, through update, I want to make the room visually spacious, but still have storage. I have an enormous walk-in closet outside of the MB, so I guess storage might not be that critical.

Here's the details and I welcome all feedback. Thank you very much.

1) Remove the tub/shower combo. Replace with a nice walk-in shower: frameless glass (2 sides), low threshold, floor to ceiling tiles (light color), a niche on the shower wall. Shower size is 4.5' (or 4') x 3'.

2) Toilet will be floor mount (half-wall tile behind the toilet and 2 floating shelves above the toilet)

3) Vanity will be floating (I think it makes the small bath look bigger)

4) Storage will be this linen closet next to the shower, about 12" wide and 3' deep. I am thinking to make it a slide-out shelf with door. (attached inspiration picture). Not sure how much this one is going to cost. Ideas?

5) I am still not sure where to put the towel rack. Its current position is right next to the door. Untidy towels will be the first thing you see...but I don't know where else to put it.

6) Is there anyway I can replace the MB door with something that gives more real estate. Unfortunately, I can't have barn door. The MB door is sandwiched between master bedroom door and closet entryway. Very awkward... What about replace it with a bi-fold door?

Pictures:

1) Current bathroom layout, bathroom doorway and the walk-in closet outside

2) Design drawing (DH did it)

3) Linen closet idea

4) Tile Idea

5) Vanity Idea

Comments (14)

• Karenseb
    3 years ago

It sounds like your closet is too big and your bathroom too small. I know you are trying to keep costs down so this may not work.

I personally would like a larger bedroom without the added on closet. If you are able to steal 12 inches of the closet and add that to your bathroom, you will be able to fit a 21 inch deep vanity and have a more generous walkway. Aim for 36 inches or more on your walkway if you can. Costs should at least be kept down by not moving the toilet or tub.

A walk in closet should be a minimum of 81 to 84 inches wide. If you need more closet , you can make a separate entry for the closet and bathroom. You lose the chair by the window.

I looked at old measurements on your last post and am not sure of the dimensions of the closet and master bedroom.

A Green thanked Karenseb
  • Rebekah Gibbs
    3 years ago

Could you change the door to swing out instead of in?

• A Green
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Unfortunately, I can't change the door to swing-out. It's such a awkward design. I uploaded a complete master suite drawing in my OP. The master bedroom door, bathroom door, entryway to closet and entryway to bedroom, all four are cramped in a very tiny space.

You do have a good point, Rebekah. I might be able to swing out if I change master bedroom door to barn door.

• A Green
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Karen, thank you for the drawing. I uploaded more info about the closet in my OP. If I borrow space from the closet and push the vanity to the closet, the closet window will be against the left wall. Right now it's in the middle. Let me go back to take more measurements.

• A Green
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Does anyone have experience with the pull-out storage in the bathroom as what I posted in the OP?

• katinparadise
    3 years ago

Why not just move the door a few inches to the right and change the swing toward the vanity wall?

If you do a half wall with glass on the toilet end of the shower, it will let natural light in from the window to the shower.

The pullout storage seems like a good idea. Just don't forget that you'll need a filler so you can clear the door casing. You'll want to adjust the shower size accordingly.

Instead of trying to squeeze two sinks into a 60" vanity, which leaves very little counter space, consider a larger center single sink or a trough sink. Doing a vanity with all drawers will give you a lot of nice storage space.

I would also look at the possibility of moving the floor register up onto the wall.

A Green thanked katinparadise
  • julieste
    3 years ago

What's in the wall? Could you make a pocket door?

That pull out shelving is a very interesting idea. In a space a similar size at the end of our shower/tub we had a carpenter make a custom cabinet for us. I have doors on the bottom shelves, open shelving in the middle portion for a few nicer looking items, and then more doors on the top. I'm able to get quite a bit in there. Since ours isn't pull out like the one you are envisioning, we didn't make it all the way to the back wall because that would have been just too deep.

A Green thanked julieste
  • A Green
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Hi Julie, do you have a picture of the storage next to the shower? I just need to leave 6” wide for the plumbing, so I should have space for the pocket storage and a 4x3 shower. do you remember how much for the custom carpentry?

• A Green
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Hi Katinparadise, I thought about a large single sink or a trough sink. For the happiness of the marriage, we will need two sinks...

• katinparadise
    3 years ago

If you really need two sinks, I would do a pocket door, since you won't have any plumbing in the wall with the storage, and make the vanity 68-72" long so you'll have more counter space.

• Jill
    3 years ago

On counter tower?

Modern Farmhouse Bathroom Nod to Nature · More Info

Your bathroom has the same footprint as my old, now demo'd bathroom. New bathroom has a 38"×48" shower. It feels cavernous.

How deep is your sink base?

• A Green
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Hi Jill, the color of this bathroom is beautiful, I love the green, gold and white. I am saving it!

The sink base is going to be 22' -24" deep.

I would love to see your new bathroom layout and post renovation feedback!

• A Green
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thank you, Jill. All great advices!