Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
roselee_gw

Texas Wild Flower ID Please ...

roselee z8b S.W. Texas
3 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

This is a little wild flower growing in hot sun by the side of the road in sandy acidic soil on my friend Linda M's property near Seguin, Texas. She says it is a circular low feathery shrub that blows delicately with the wind. It's about 18 to 24 inches across, is happy as can be with natural rainfall and no wilting. She's never seen any butterflies on it.

Linda is an avid gardener. This is not growing anywhere near her flower garden, but perhaps she purchased it at one time and forgot about it. Maybe it seeded itself out in the field.

Somehow it looks Australian to me.

Can anyone ID it?

Comments (17)

• castro_gardener
    3 years ago

interesting. reminds me of mimosa, or the flowers on our native passiflora. But can't place it. COOL !!!

• castro_gardener
    3 years ago

send to Neil Sperry !!!

• Linda Lou
    3 years ago

I'm Linda the lady with the mystery plant. It's been here for years.

In the same spot so it is a perennial.

I never planted anything like this out here.

It's native whatever it is and it does look like a mimosa :-)

• User
    3 years ago

Nope. Not mimosa.

• Jay 6a Chicago
    3 years ago

Acalypha monostachya? 🤠

Foliage can be considerably variable.

roselee z8b S.W. Texas thanked Jay 6a Chicago
  • roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thank you Jay! You nailed it. Acalypha monostachya 'round copperleaf'.

Just as Linda M. reported the link says that insects are not attracted to it.

It doesn't say anything about deer, but Linda's property has a deer proof fence so maybe that has helped it be able to grow on her property.

Several nurseries sell it such as Mountain States Wholesale Nursery so it is available commercially.

Here's another photo which Linda provided. It's a beautiful little plant. I love the leaves on Linda's specimen!

Lady Bird Johnson Wild Flower Center lists it on their site.

I believe I saw it growing years ago at the San Antonio location of the Antique Rose Emporium. The foliage was more copper color on their plant.

I found the photo! As Jay mentioned the foliage varies considerably as well the plant having male and female flower forms. This plant from ARE is showing the male form of the flowers:

Has anyone else found it growing wild?

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    Original Author
    3 years ago

floral_uk I agree, but don't know what grower might be interested.

• tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱
    3 years ago

Search on Acalypha propagation and try it yourself.

tj

roselee z8b S.W. Texas thanked tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱
  • floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
    3 years ago

I meant for yourself, not for a grower. It looks eminently garden worthy and extremely well adapted for your region.

roselee z8b S.W. Texas thanked floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
  • roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Oh okay. Yes, I have asked Linda to poke around and see if there are any roots that look like they could easily be separated in winter.

But I also think hers is a prettier plant than what is offered on Mountain States Wholesale.

• tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱
    3 years ago

A cutting may be a safer way of propagation.

tj

roselee z8b S.W. Texas thanked tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱
  • roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Linda contacted the Ladybird Johnson Wildflower Center and received this reply:

~ ~ ~

"Hi Linda,

"Oh, I really like your part of Texas! I'm fascinated with the flora and ecology of those sand hills. My wife and I were just visiting your area yesterday.

"I'm very pleased to hear about your success with re-establishing native flora in your deer-exclusion area.

"Your mystery plant is Cardinal-feather, Acalypha radians. That species, a member of the spurge family, Euphorbiaceae, is dioecious. That is, it bears only either male or female flowers on a single plant. The flowers on your specimen are pistillate, and so your plant is a female. Perhaps you will find a lot of seedlings around the plant next year! It is a nice, healthy specimen for sure. Cardinal-feather native throughout South Texas and into northern Mexico."

Best,

Joe

"Joe Marcus

NPONA Program Coordinator

Lady Bird Johnson Wildflower Center

The University of Texas at Austin

o:512.232.0108 | wildflower.org

Inspiring the conservation of native plants"

~ ~ ~

Cardinal-feather, Acalypha radians. is a little different than Acalypha monostachya 'round copperleaf' that LBJ Wildflower Center also has listed on their site, but Jay's ID is certainly in the ball park! The big difference seems to be that 'Radians' has the scalloped leaves that Linda's plant exhibits.

My question now: Even though Mr. Joe Marcus suggests that Linda might find seedlings around her female plant; would it in fact be fertile IF there were no male plants in the vicinity? Hopefully there is a male plant near by, but not in view.

Thanks to everyone for your input. Much appreciated.

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Of the several photos of A. radians. on the LBJWC site only one is of the female flower. Perhaps the male flowers are considered more showy.

Another photo of Linda's plant:

• floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
    3 years ago

Aha! So the leaves were understandably atypical, since it’s a different species. 🙂 Thanks for the update.

roselee z8b S.W. Texas thanked floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
  • roselee z8b S.W. Texas thanked Lesli Neubauer (South central TX zone 8b/9)
  • roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    Original Author
    3 years ago

I had looked this thread up yesterday as I remembered the leaves being somewhat similar to the weedy plant you were inquiring about, especially since your soil is sandy like Linda's.

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!