Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_878422914

Teen bedroom color pallet ideas

Alexandria Norm
3 years ago

Hey everyone!

My family is remodeling our house and my teen kid has grown out of her old room colors. We figured out a rough design: On one of the corners, we have shelves and below a chase lounge. The bed will be a normal bed, one person and not a bunk (it's dark wood, no idea what wood.) The cover is jean like material and dark navy with black and white plaid sheets. Also, there is a desk that is navy blue with a dark wood like the bed. Here's a little on her style: She is 10, but we want her room to last her till she is at least 18. She is a tom buy, but not totally boy like and prefers dark and simple over light. Everything we want to some what match in a way that looks good but is not too matchy.

What colors should we use that would look good with the navy and dark brown wood? (wall color, chase lounge color, etc)

Comments (12)

• tcufrog
    3 years ago

Navy is pretty neutral so it goes with a lot of colors. Some colors that would be fun accent colors are bright yellow or bright orange. Another modern option would be a pale teal. I would also add another fun pattern. One option that would be super cool would be to cover most of a wall in cork tiles and then paint them in a buffalo plaid pattern like the sheets but in a bright color. It would be a unique feature wall and a fun place for her to tack on the wall all of the posters and pictures preteens and teens like to put on their wall.

• lookintomyeyes83
    3 years ago

If she likes the bed colors, pick a shade lighter for the walls. Do an accent wall if she really wants a dark wall. (Doing the entire thing would be too dark overall).

• Alexandria Norm
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Okay thanks! Well.. what about a light gray-blue wall? Like this photo:

• PRO
    Virgil Carter Fine Art
    3 years ago

Having a design which will satisfy a 10-year old, and last until she is 18 may be impossible.

If you're really serious about that, I'd recommend some appealing neutrals for walls. ceiling and floor, and add individualizing elements with furnishings and accessories which can be changed out as she gets older and her tastes predictably change.

• tcufrog
    3 years ago

Y’all are right. I didn’t expect my older son to be 5’ 7 1/2” tall at the age of 13 so we are now looking at replacement beds for the huge bunk bed he has. I wish we had thought about it though before we moved into our new home this past October. It’s going to be difficult to get the huge bed out of the house.

This is why I’m not of fan of built-in furniture in a kid’s bedroom or playroom. I’m a fan of neutral furnishings with personality displayed through removable wall art, bedding, and accessories.

• Alexandria Norm
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Okay thanks. The thing is the bed is super expensive and so is the desk, and we didn't plan ahead. So... yeah. But okay, neutral wall colors. I feel like white wouldn't look good. Honestly, she doesn't want an accent color but something that's not white.

• Alexandria Norm
    Original Author
    3 years ago

But yes I told her no built in furniture EVER. We can put ins stuff that can be removed but never permanent.

• Shoemaker
    3 years ago

Pictures please

• Alexandria Norm
    Original Author
    3 years ago

?

• Trish Walter
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

How about SW Sea Salt? It's lovely. I have it in all our bedrooms currently, which includes >18 yo girls.

I also love RH Silver Sage.

And buy basics and change bedding and accessories..they will change their style several times so don't lock yourself in [I learned the hard way] and for sure no built ins [another hard lesson lol].