Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jaynekc

White Paint for Small Open Plan

jaynekc
3 years ago

There are too many choices out there! What is a good white for walls and ceilings and another white for trim, moldings, columns.

Average ceiling height in kitchen.
Low ceiling in dining area.
Sloping to very high ceiling in living room.

Would love ideas for fireplace as well.

Comments (28)

• kiffkat
    3 years ago

Here’s a good article explaining the differences between the 10 top White Benjamin Moore paints. This may help you decide. Keep in mind, all white paints have different under tones and look different in all sorts of light. You will probably want to pick up a few samples and take your time on this. Your floors and current furnishings have a warm tone to them so you may want to choose a warm white as opposed to a cool white. Hope this helps. https://thepaintpeople.com/paint-colours/our-top-10-benjamin-moore-whites/

• decoenthusiaste
    3 years ago

This might work for you. Believed to be Navajo White walls and White Dove trim.

Horse Country Home · More Info

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

see if this helps

this lets you see the popular 4 and what they look like side by side.

I did Simply White on my walls and my trim (trim was semi gloss, wall eggshell)

It's a nice bright white without being a surgical or super cool white.

I originally painted it with White Dove, but found it to be a little dingy.

Or maybe you'd like to try something like this? Pale Oak, and I believe the trim is either White Dove or Simply White.

as for the fireplace, clear all that stuff off the mantle. makes it look cluttered. find a larger piece of art to hang above it

ideally you want something this size,,,and only 1 or 2 other items on the mantle

or do multiple items like this. you don't want clutter.

• jaynekc
    Original Author
    3 years ago

@Beth H. I LOVE the look of your place. I think I will do Simply White-eggshell. What did you use for the trim? I also have large swaths of wall and want a cooler white but not blinding-Simply White sounds right.

• jaynekc
    Original Author
    3 years ago

@kifdket I am hoping a cooler white will not clash with our warmer furnishings but lighten everything up a bit. I will be replacing the coffee table and couch soon. Couch will be in a neutral gray or greige and the table may have glass and/ or gold accents. I am also concerned with liking it on a small sample compared to all over the walls!

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

thank you . Both are Simply White. semi gloss on crown and baseboards.

the attached dining room is also the same white, but I did a custom mix of black/navy on the one wall. (ignore the table and chairs...that's getting replaced)

• jaynekc
    Original Author
    3 years ago

There is also the matter of the four columns
    In the dining room. I won’t be removing them at this time so do I have fun with them? The dining area is right in between the kitchen and living room and I have thought about doing something dramatic there but I am concerned it will break up the space and stunt the flow.

• jaynekc
    Original Author
    3 years ago

All four columns in this pic.

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    3 years ago

are they there for support or decor? they're rather large and romanesque. maybe simplify them? just basic square columns?

• jaynekc
    Original Author
    3 years ago

They were added as merely as decor by previous owners and I hate them but my husband likes them and I just want the place painted for now.

• kiffkat
    3 years ago

I would paint the columns the same color that you chose for the walls so that it blends into the background. I’ve seen homes that had painted the columns a different color and it stood out like a sore thumb...not a good look. Keep it clean and simple. It will also make the room visually larger if columns are painted the same color as the walls.

• jaynekc
    Original Author
    3 years ago

That was my thinking kiffkat but I am better at dressing myself than my house, lol.

• kiffkat
    3 years ago

Jaynekc, Lol I’m sure it will look great! Simply White is a beautiful color (if you go with that)

• jaynekc
    Original Author
    3 years ago

What trim color would you suggest with Simply White-eggshell?
    What about the ceiling? Should I do matte Simply White on the ceiling to match the walls?

• kiffkat
    3 years ago

It’s actually fine to paint both the walls and trim in Simply White. Then you don’t have to worry about anything clashing. Trim, should be painted in semi-gloss, gloss or high gloss. Ceilings are usually done in a flat finish. Satin or eggshell is good for the walls.

• kiffkat
    3 years ago

https://somuchbetterwithage.com/simply-white-benjamin-moore-best-white-paint/

Take a look at this article - they did everything (walls, trim, etc) in Simply White

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    3 years ago

Jay, don't know if you saw mine, but both trim/walls are simply white. there is no need to do two diff whites. painting one in the semigloss makes it look a tad diff, but it still goes.

For the ceiling, just do a can of Ceiling paint. no need to tint that white a separate color. SW and Behr both have a flat ceiling white ready to go

• jaynekc
    Original Author
    3 years ago

But if I wanted to what would you recommend?

• kiffkat
    3 years ago

If you want to do a different white for the trim, take a look at BM Super White or BM Decorator White. Both go with Simply White and will give you a nice subtle contrast.

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    3 years ago

Jay, I do all my ceilings w/the white straight from the can. I never tint it. just a Base 1 White. It's a pure white w/no undertones (well, not that you can see).

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    3 years ago

Your fireplace is similar to many Art Deco Style surrounds and I think it's a great feature that should be kept and enhanced.

All those gold walls have to go and White Dove would be a good selection. A general purge is in order to simplify your space.

• jaynekc
    Original Author
    3 years ago

The ceiling is very very high over the fireplace and I am wondering if there is any way to use that as an advantage. We may just put the tv over the fireplace on a cantilever. I will add a photo will the full wall tomorrow-getting late here. I really appreciate all the input from everyone!

• kiffkat
    3 years ago

Hi jaynekc, Yes, I do see in one of your prior photos that you have a VERY tall wall over the fireplace. If you decide to go with art, a nice way to complement that tall wall is to hang vertical artwork. A single bold image is one way to do this. Here’s an example.

• jaynekc
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Do you think there are any peel and stick wallpapers that could add interest almost like an accent wall?

• tfitz1006
    3 years ago

I think when you take down all the decor, particularly the stuff that is up high, be very sparing in what you put back. I would not do the wallpaper, just paint it whatever white you select and then see.

• jaynekc
    Original Author
    3 years ago

@BeverlyFLADeziner i will definitely be getting rid of the clutter. I like the sconces and hadn’t seen the Art Deco suggestions before you pointing it out. As much as I am drawn to that period in decorating I am not sure it will go with the rest of the living room. I can’t wait to have it all white!

• jaynekc
    Original Author
    3 years ago

The kitchen doesn’t have much available wall and we are not changing the cabinets at this time-though I would love to eventually.
    Will Simply White in Eggshell work here as well?
    I do want to change out the yellow pendants over the island. Perhaps once painted it will be easier to choose the right lights.

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    3 years ago

why don't you get a sample of it and paint the wall w/the thermostat, or, paint the island where the stools are? (yes, eggshell)

Also, make sure the bulbs in the kitchen are at least 4000K. anything less and you'll get yellowish light.

simple glass pendants would look fine