Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mvmonroe9

My dated living room curtains need a make-over!

Elise Monroe
3 years ago

I'm wanting to replace my old country curtains in my country cabin living room but can't decide what would look best. The ones I have are rod pocket style, which is very casual which is my style. I also like tab top curtains though and am wondering if they are too modern looking for my room. I still want sill length curtains and am debating whether I should pull any new curtains I get back with decorative metal tiebacks to let in more light and give the windows that country look. Also trying to decide if I still want to have a valance or not. I was thinking a decorative metal rod with pine cone finials would look nice too. Any help or suggestions would be much appreciated! Elise M.

Comments (30)

• decoenthusiaste
    3 years ago

Two great choices from https://www.vermontcountrystore.com/vermont-country-store-curtain-collection-catalog are Buffalo Check and their solid cotton duck which comes in tab tops too. We've had those at our vacation rental cabin for 15 years and they're still beautiful. VCS took over the curtain collection from Country Curtains when they closed and have expanded it.

Elise Monroe thanked decoenthusiaste
  • houssaon
    3 years ago

How about simple cafe curtains. They give you the privacy you want without blocking the view or light.

I've used Country curtains many times over the years and love their price and quality. Glad to hear Vermont Country Store has taken over their curtain division,

Elise Monroe thanked houssaon
  • Elise Monroe
    Original Author
    3 years ago

I don't think cafe curtains would look good in my living room. I'm not sure about buffalo check either. While I like checks, not sure if it would be too much in my small living room. I have looked at some checked fabric but am leaning towards something plainer, natural linen color with texture and/or flecks of complimentary colors, tans, browns, etc. If I don't go with panels and a valance, I may just do panels and hold them back with tiebacks. Can't decide on that issue and whether I want tab top or rod pocket. Any thoughts there?

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

If you really want an update, stand back, take more pictures. Think seriously about less clutter. These are NOT windows that need curtain panels. think instead to a nice simple roman shde, a woven natural wood shade.

In other words.......... a lot less stuff, and lot less fussy : ) No valances, no tie backs. A nice simple roman shade. After a de clutter of too much extra furniture, photo's flowers and doo dads. Less....can be a LOT more. A LOT. Your cozy won't be gone, just the choked up feeling. Don't get mad....: ) you said "update". Window treatments are one small part of that.

Elise Monroe thanked JAN MOYER
  • deegw
    3 years ago

I would rethink the sill length curtains, to me the shorter length chops up your wall.

If you pull your things away from the wall a bit you'll have plenty of room for full-length curtains, no valance needed. A light-colored subtle herringbone or tweed or a small check that reads solid will brighten up your room.

Hang them high and wide to let in as much light as possible.

Elise Monroe thanked deegw
  • Indecisiveness
    3 years ago

Your style is a bit different than mkst here, so it might take a few iterations to get what you’re going for.

My preference for drapes is grommet or hook/ring so they hang better. But of your two choices, tab is much better than rod pocket.

Not a fan of sill length curtains, are you looking at them because of your baseboard heat? Are they electric or hot water?

If you want a solid color, no tan or beige. Try off-white similar to the background color on your current curtains.

No valance. No tie backs.

Mounted like this:

Elise Monroe thanked Indecisiveness
  • Maureen
    3 years ago

Roman blinds in a casual fabric, only valence, or only drapes. If using drapes, make sure rod is longer than window to allow for more light as drapes will cover less of the window. Suggest a black road and see ideas below for curtain finishes on top that feel more casual

Elise Monroe thanked Maureen
  • PRO
    SJS Interiors
    3 years ago

I would do a Roman shade. It would be a nice update.

Elise Monroe thanked SJS Interiors
  • Elise Monroe
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Roman shades would not look right with the rest of the country cabin decor and knotty pine paneling but thank you for your advice.

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    3 years ago

THEY WOULD GO VERY WELL. You can create the feel with a little scallop at the bottom if you like. What doesn't go well is a bit too much of ........ everything : )

You can have a "country cabin" that feels MORE country cabin, by keeping the very important, editing, and simplifying a bit, to let the imporrtsnt elements shine.

Elise Monroe thanked JAN MOYER
  • Gcubed
    3 years ago

I like the idea of just a valence too , unless you need a lot of privacy. Or if you do the long (not sill drapes), extend as far as you can and then you don’t need to tie back- which is an update in of itself

ETA: Thinking more of a Faux Roman Shade in a fabric you like, maybe updated floral or buffalo check and then have wooden bamboo blinds underneath to lower if needed

Elise Monroe thanked Gcubed
  • Indecisiveness
    3 years ago

Perhaps you could explain what makes design country cabin to you? From my perspective, your space looks 1990, but not really ‘country cabin’ and your curtains are kinda fussy but not what I would call “casual”. (BTW, pretty sure my mom used to have those curtains in blue.)

Elise Monroe thanked Indecisiveness
  • PRO
    JAN MOYER
    3 years ago

I guess the easiest way to put it is this:

If you under the age of 85? You need a fuller "update" , much of that is pruning. Okay, everyone beat me. I said it.

• njmomma
    3 years ago

Not a Pro.

Country Cabins can be so sweet, but I do agree that you can pare down some of your accessories, or arrange differently.

It is your home and all you asked for was an update on your curtains. Maybe something like this would work for you. Here is some inspiration:

Wildflower Farm or Finding Home · More Info

Elise Monroe thanked njmomma
  • Shannon_WI
    3 years ago

You gotta de-clutter. If you don’t, you could spend a ton of money on different window treatments, and your living room won’t look better. That is really a lot of things you got there on every surface. Sometimes when we are living in a space, we don’t really see it anymore. There are people you can hire who can do the de-cluttering for you if you can’t see it yourself.

Elise Monroe thanked Shannon_WI
  • latifolia
    3 years ago

I made sill length tab curtains out of vintage linen (or possibly linen/cotton blend) for our lake house bedroom. Will try to post a photo.

Elise Monroe thanked latifolia
  • Nick
    3 years ago

Do you need curtains for privacy? If not, I'd try without and see if that works.

Elise Monroe thanked Nick
  • Cheryl Smith
    3 years ago

Your current curtains are real fussy and a style I personally looked had in the 70s/80s. I've also had tab top curtains and hated them. They never hung right and always looked messy. I think having just a valance is as dated as what you want to get rid of. It looks like your curtains now are just for decoration and you don't close them for privacy. I like the idea of a roman shade as it has the look of a valence but can be lowered to give privacy. If you don't need or want to do that, Remove your curtains and see what it looks like with nothing. Or just add panels. But I think wether you plan on closing them or not they should be functional

Elise Monroe thanked Cheryl Smith
  • katinparadise
    3 years ago

If you like the idea of tiebacks, I wouldn't use tab tops-I would stick with rod pockets. I also think that rod pockets look better in a shorter length.

Tab tops look better full length.

Target has a nice faux linen rod pocket that's very reasonably priced.

https://www.target.com/p/95-34-x54-34-linen-blend-textured-sheer-rod-pocket-window-curtain-panel-ivory-no-918/-/A-53104870?

Elise Monroe thanked katinparadise
  • katinparadise
    3 years ago

I'm in agreement with you @arcy_gw. For as much as design can be a formula, I never see more comments on someone's post than when they post a dilemma that shows rooms that are "against the norm." Not everyone has the same taste or likes the same things in their homes. Although I give kudos to the amazing professionals on here who so freely offer their advice and expertise, I think we also need to respect the fact that some people love what they have and are just looking for advice to make some simple changes.

• partim
    3 years ago

No valance. Use a decorative rod instead. I like the idea of the acorn finials.

No tie-backs to expose the glass. Instead, your rod should be wider than it is. Wide enough that the curtain stack back is over the wall when the curtain is open, not over the glass which should be fully exposed. https://homeguides.sfgate.com/calculate-stack-back-curtains-51662.html You will likely need to find a different place for the photo over the piano, because the curtains will cover more of that space.

I would use a semi-sheer linen look fabric in a cream colour. Something like this, but note that this curtain rod is too short and that the stack back is wrong.

White wood is another option.
    I am fond of lace curtains in this style too but I know most people don't like the look.

Elise Monroe thanked partim
  • Elise Monroe
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thank you all for the advice. I have several challenges in my living room. One is it is fairly small, just 20'x18', basically a square shaped room. I don't have the room to pull things away from the walls to make room for floor length drapes. Both walls have the large windows with very little wall space. There is a long handmade country quilted wall hanging that I don't want to clash with any window treatment.

The living room is open to both the kitchen and dining room.

They are all essentially one room. I can't rearrange the furniture due to the wood stove in one corner and where the TV has to be in that corner. The piano will only fit on that one wall. I do have electric baseboard heaters along the one wall that are used when I go away any time in the cold weather months so having long drapes would be a problem there. Heating with wood makes things get really dirty so I don't want window coverings that are hard or problematic to take down and clean. I am a recent widow and need to be able to take care of things myself. My living room hasn't had a makeover in 30 yrs which is why I desperately need new window treatments. I don't have beautiful hardwood floors like in some of these pictures. I have carpeting. Some day I'd like to replace that but can't right now. I have beautiful views of the pine trees surrounding my home out the windows so don't want the view hidden. I do feel at times now at night, that I'd like a way to close off the windows so people can't see in. I do like a softness around the windows. I'm starting to toy with the idea of a faux Roman shade valance with maybe woven wood blinds underneath which I could then lower for privacy at night. Or just some simple panels but I think I'll have to stay with sill length if I do that due to the electric baseboard heaters and furniture up against walls. Here are some curtains I like and fabrics I would consider for a faux Roman shade valance. Please let me know your thoughts. I appreciate all the help! https://www.countryvillageshoppe.com/thyme-lined-panels-72x63/

https://www.smithandnoble.com/catalogsearch/result/?q=14533

https://www.smithandnoble.com/catalogsearch/result/?q=16690

https://willowbloomhome.com/?s=malbec+linen

https://willowbloomhome.com/product/drapes/my-texas-house-collection/alvin-dune-drape/

https://www.regaldrapes.com/products/custom-drapes/flat-panel-drapes?hdStyle=6&fid=2596#ONM1

https://sn-live.myshadestudio.com/preview.php?retkey=SN&product=1900&fabric=FS_FLT&color=18745&width=500&height=500&view=d

• Karen Gahtan
    3 years ago

Elise, I’m so sorry for the loss of

your husband. Your house reminds me a lot of my parent’ they love to be surrounded by their treasures too. I wonder if a simple offwhite curtain either rod back or hung with curtain rings could be a good choice. If you wanted to tie it into your beautiful quilt, maybe pick one or two of the colors in it and add a gros-grain ribbon detail at the edges. I also like a windowpane pattern for interest when a louder pattern would be too much.

It sounds like you are interested in changing your flooring, but are limited by your budget. Sometimes layering a rug over carpet can be a way to change things without as much of an investment as putting in wood floors.

Elise Monroe thanked Karen Gahtan
  • deegw
    3 years ago

I like your quilt! And I like the fabrics in your links. If you did a faux Roman shade or a tailored valance you could hide a simple inside mount pull down shade under it. Your windows would be uncluttered during the day and you could pull the shades down at night.

Elise Monroe thanked deegw
  • apple_pie_order
    3 years ago

The wall quilt hanging is lovely. Do you sew? If you do, you could experiment with a plainer curtain look by altering the curtains you have (after removing the valence and its rod). Just remove the brown ruffle and finish the edges. If you like the simpler look, then order new curtains in a classic linen color.

• Maureen
    3 years ago

The links of textured fabrics are all nice. Instead of a valence and blinds, why not skip the expense, work and still end up with a busy window - just add a black rod and the shorter drapes and these should meet your needs in regards to privacy and the floor heaters..,and still be attractive.

Elise Monroe thanked Maureen
  • eld6161
    3 years ago

I vote for this one from a Maureen’s choices

It’s simple, gives you something on the window that doesn’t compete with your quilt wall.

I like all the beige fabric choices. Again just do a valance.

Elise Monroe thanked eld6161
  • Anna (6B/7A in MD)
    3 years ago

I like the idea of a faux roman valance and a pull-down woven shade for your space. I would go with a simple linen or cotton in an undyed, natural color. I LOVE quilts and a simple fabric would not compete with, but would complement, the quilt.

Elise Monroe thanked Anna (6B/7A in MD)
  • katinparadise
    3 years ago

I'm so terribly sorry for your loss. Your space is warm and comforting and I love your quilt. Out of the fabrics you posted, this is my favorite. I think it still gives you a bit of pattern but the tone on tone is simple and won't compete with the other things in the space.

Sponsored
KP Designs Group
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars50 Reviews
Franklin County's Unique and Creative Residential Interior Design Firm