Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_33943499

Let's Play: Weeds or Keep!

User
3 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

So just bought an old farmhouse in northern Minnesota! There's tons of flowers and overgrowth and I'd love for you guys to help me figure out what to keep and rehab and what to remove. Also IDing plants would be lovely as well. I'll place numbers next to photos to help everyone keep things straight, there's a lot of pics! Thank ya!

~~~

UPDATED with the names of some

1 - Bracken? Lovely ferns, would love to keep. Recently removed weeds growing right next to them so hopefully they'll start looking better

2 - Chickweed- gone!

3 - HOLLYHOCKS: Dark pink flowers, in pretty bad shape

4 - PHLOX: Amazing smelling purple flowers by the steps

5 - HOLLYHOCKS: Tall, light pink flowers similar to the darker pink ones above. Recently had a bad storm and it knocked them over

6 - HOSTAS - removing the dead scapes

7 - RAGWEED: GONE

8 - ROSES

9 - Still unknown but I took it down anyway

10 - Rubus

11 - GONE

Comments (21)

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    3 years ago

for future reference.. this would be the sick plant forum ...

there is a name that plant forum ...

most of us prefer no more than 3 IDS per post.. it gets very confusing having to scroll up and down repeatedly ...

welcome

wait ill scroll up and see if i can get one ... third is phlox ... fifth a hosta ... and i knew the 4th.. but im not scrolling up again.. wait.. was it a hollyhock??

ken

• User
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Updated it and placed it in a different forum

• peren.all Zone 5a Ontario Canada
    3 years ago

#7 needs to go immediately before the seeds of the Ragweed disperse.

#8 looks like a Rose but we need closer pics please.

Ken we need the fun here!!!

User thanked peren.all Zone 5a Ontario Canada
  • User
    Original Author
    3 years ago

I'll get ya better pics of 8 and start taking down 7 today! Thank you so much!

• BlueberryBundtcake - 6a/5b MA
    3 years ago

Those ferns look similar to ones we have that are basically unkillable. They should be fine and will likely spend until you're yanking them out.

White flower in the planter might be a vinca, but a closer/clearer image would help.

It's hollyhock, with an h, just FYI.

The "purple flowers growing with" the Hosta are the hosta's flowers scapes. The Hosta looks like it may have encountered some weather or slugs, but it looks fine; you can dead head the scapes that are done.

My guess on 7 would be ragweed, so yeah, usually not a keeper.

I think 10 might be a box elder (a type of maple).

User thanked BlueberryBundtcake - 6a/5b MA
  • peren.all Zone 5a Ontario Canada
    3 years ago

#2 could be Chickweed but too far away to tell. Whatever it is I would say it is a weed.

#10 may be desirable but it looks like a Rubus sp. - Raspberry is growing with it.

#11 looks like weeds.

User thanked peren.all Zone 5a Ontario Canada
  • BlueberryBundtcake - 6a/5b MA
    3 years ago

11 might have been an astilbe, but it's hard to tell, since all you've got are old flower scapes. It could also be a grassy weed that went to seed

User thanked BlueberryBundtcake - 6a/5b MA
  • floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
    3 years ago

8. Is a rose. No question.

10. Is a Raspberry.

If the ferns are branched they are Bracken.

There’s nothing worth keeping in the last picture. Most of it appears to be dead bolted spinach or weedy member of that family such as Chenopodium album.

User thanked floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
  • User
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Just removed (hopefully) all of the ragweed, there were roses mixed inbetween so figuring out which was which was fun... ow

Thank you guys! I've updated the post and taken off any pics of things we've ID'd, so scrolling is easier on you guys (and me).

• Jay 6a Chicago
    3 years ago

Just adding to the comments in continuity is better than updating and rearranging your entire post. It's confusing to whoever reads it later on.

• User
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Ah, okay. Thought that would've made it better

• floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
    3 years ago

It’s still not possible to tell if it’s bracken. Do the fronds grow off stalks or do they grow directly out of the ground?

• User
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thanks! There's a stem or two back there but they're most definitely weeds, literally just two stalks of the same appearance. Chickweed is gone, just took care of that!

Hope this helps with the possible Bracken, each leaf is it's own branch/grow directly from the ground:

And that's about it for me guys, thank you so much for the help! Took me most of today clearing this stuff out.

3 years ago

Updated it and placed it in a different forum

==<>>>> well hot spit.. who knew you could do that ... congrats... you taught us something

User thanked ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    3 years ago

btw .. hollyhocks always get ugly ... thats one reason i quit growing them ...

that thermometer says 68 ... really.. come down here and get some of my 80s ... crikey ... lol

ken

• User
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Oh they're kinda ugly now! There's one sunflower growing on one side of the house, wouldn't mind replacing the hollyhocks with them.

And I love the weather! We just moved here from South Dakota, there it was around 95 every day... I'm from Georgia and am loving this mid-70s, no humidity. I can actually enjoy being outside!

Thank you guys again!

• floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
    3 years ago

Ok. It’s not bracken.

• User
    3 years ago

Some sort of tree fern?

User thanked User
  • floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
    3 years ago

OP’s fern doesn’t gave a central trunk. And afaik there are no tree ferns which would grow in Minnesota.

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH