Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
matthias_lang

a really insignificant question

matthias_lang
3 years ago

The single book of matches and single box of matches I have been using are finally about to be used up. I did have a large box of matches, but some matches evidently go bad over time, so I had to throw those away. You know how so many products are poor quality these days? Well those wooden matches were annoying from day one, anyway. The wood was so light weight, so weak. Probably one third of them broke as they were struck.

All we ever need matches for is lighting candles or incense. I'm completely uninterested in a battery operated lighter. I'd rather not even do a Bic type lighter. So my little question is, can you recommend a match brand?

Comments (23)

• bragu_DSM 5
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

convenience store book matches are fine ... and usually free

• wildchild2x2
    3 years ago

I have book matches from the 70s (last time I smoked) that are still good. The only thing I can think of that would make matches go bad is moisture or humidity.

For normal household use I like the butane lighters made for BBQs and such. I keep one in the kitchen drawer, one in the BBQ kit, and one in our bathroom drawer. but if you dont want those, curious why? Diamond Matches, both the books and the wooden ones have good reviews at Amazon. You can buy them at Walmart.

• olychick
    3 years ago

If you find some you like, store most of them in a mason jar with a tight fitting lid. They will not go bad.

I love pretty wooden match boxes, so always pick up some like these when I see them. They are usually very good quality. And so fun to use. (I have not purchased from this website, only from boutique type stores).

https://museumoutlets.com/decorative-boxed-matches

eta: well, after looking at this site, I ordered a bunch of matches for stocking stuffer/hostess gifts and some paper napkins to give as gifts, too. Might not be much entertaining happening for a while, but my friends will enjoy them just the same.

• sephia_wa
    3 years ago

I know you said you are looking for matches, but I gave up matches to light candles and now use this. Doesn't require any gas or fluid or butane, and doesn't have a flame. It's magic! ;>) It uses flameless plasma technology. You keep it charged with a USB. I've found it's easier to light candles with these vs. matches.

Electric Lighter

• arcy_gw
    3 years ago

We use disposable butane lighters. I doubt it's the brand of your match sticks...more like the new growth wood.

• maire_cate
    3 years ago

We use Diamond brand kitchen matches.

• Elizabeth
    3 years ago

I found that Diamond matches break easily. I use Tractor supply kitchen matches or their fireplace matches.

• artemis_ma
    3 years ago

I use the wooden Diamond matches. I'll check out the Tractor Supply ones - I may indeed like them better, though most of the wood ones from Diamond seem fine.

The smaller cardboard ones from any source are sometimes good, sometimes bad. It was hit or miss with those.

Sephia's new fangled plasma tech ones look interesting... I may pick up one for curiousity.

• sprtphntc7a
    3 years ago

olychick, thanks so much for that link!! my family and friends are big on candles, so this is just perfect! the design diverstiy is outstanding!!

thanks again!!

• maifleur03
    3 years ago

I can relate. I have a big box of matches in my emergency supplies for when we loose power. Last week I needed to use one. None of the ones that I tried did anything. I did wonder if it is a difference between the strike anywhere matches and the ones that must scraped against a certain surface which these were.

• ccrunneroklahoma
    3 years ago

I have 2 boxes of Diamond kitchen Strike anywhere matches and only use them to light the charcoal grill. I totally agree with you and have found that the matches break easily, some have such a tiny head that they don’t light, and the abrasive strike surface on the side of the box isn’t working very well because it is worn off from use. I need to try another brand.

• Ded tired
    3 years ago

I have quite a collection of matches from restaurants back when they handed them out for free. I’ve had the same problem with them not lighting years later. I never knew matches expired. I just keep a butane lighter in a drawer. I used to like to strike a wooden match on the stovetop but now my stove is too shiny.

• maifleur03
    3 years ago

With Strike Anywhere type matches you do not need the surface on the side of the box. Any slightly abrasive surface will work even newish Jean material.

• murraysmom Zone 6a OH
    3 years ago

Olychick, that is a great website!! Thanks for sharing that. There are a lot of really neat ones, plus the boxes would be nice to keep long after the matches are gone! Cool stuff!!

• seagrass_gw Cape Cod
    3 years ago

Olychick - thanks for that website!!

• ci_lantro
    3 years ago

I take the candle to my gas cook stove, light a toothpick on the burner & light the candle w/ the toothpick. Obviously don't need a toothpick if you have stick incense. We use a butane grill lighter for the grill. And a torch to light the pellets for the tube smoker.

• ci_lantro
    3 years ago

Oh, yeh, I forgot to mention that turning on a gas burner or two will provide light help you find the candles in case of a power outage.

• artemis_ma
    3 years ago

Ci_lantro, of course this pre-supposes the existence of the gas burner...

• carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
    3 years ago

I have store-branded packages of matches from Publix supermarket, stored in a tin with a tight fitting lid. They seem to last forever - I haven't bought any more in years now. I have both wood matches and and paper matchbooks.

Just checked the Publix website, and it looks like Diamond brand is all they have now.

Lighters are good to have around as well.

• Elmer J Fudd
    3 years ago

We very rarely have a need for matches. We have an old Bic for candles and I use an electric starter for the charcoal bbq but I think one of those USB-charged wand things might be good to have. Thanks sephia

• jemdandy
    3 years ago

A Google search shows that at present, there are 4 match manufacturers in the US:

Atlas Match Corp.

Bradley Industries

D.D. Bean & Sons

Atlantis

I'm not sure how old this information is. The web site of Atlantis claims it is the last US match manufacturer. Within the last year, I saw an announcement stating that the last US match manufacturer had gone out of business. This leads me to believe that what is available today is imported or the final stock of discontinued matches. There is an indication that matches are yet being made in India,

If you have some match boxes of US makers such as Diamond Kitchen matches, don't throw those away. These are collector's items.

• ci_lantro
    3 years ago

Ci_lantro, of course this pre-supposes the existence of the gas burner...

Artemis, I assumed that the OP was smart enough to figure that part out. Are you saying that I was wrong...

• nicole___
    3 years ago