Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mark_lennon61

Looking to buy a dishwasher

Mark Lennon
3 years ago

We are putting in a new kitchen. We were told by a friend that they had bought an expensive dishwasher that didn't work that well. They then went and bought a cheap one that worked way better. Any feedback on what decent brands to but at a reasonable cost????

Comments (16)

• Sammy
    3 years ago

I’ve had a Miele for about 10 years or so and I’d never consider a different brand.

• akrogirl32
    3 years ago

Definitely take examples of your plates etc. when you looking. We recently bought a Thermador, and it fits our plates and pots better than any of our previous dishwashers (Bosch, Asko). Some of the European brands work better for finer china.

• Steve A
    3 years ago

Had a Bosch, now a Miele. Both are great and worth the relatively small premium for excellent build quality, cleaning, quiet, and reliability.

• wdccruise
    3 years ago

Consumer Reports has ratings and reliability predictions for dozens of dishwashers (http://www.consumerreports.org/join - $10/month digital). There's no relationship between performance and price. Follow up with owners' reviews on sites such as Home Depot and Best Buy. You might take a few dishes to the store see how they fit inside a dishwasher before buying it.

• Louise Smith
    3 years ago

Echo the comment to bring your plates AND BOWLS to see if they fit well or require a contortionist to load the DW. Very happy with my Bosch, but several posters have said that they have trouble loading anything other than a flat plate.

• dan1888
    3 years ago

Miele for me. The lowest cost version with an upper utensil tray would be my choice. Easy to install if you follow the directions. . .. .But ask your friend what brand and model he has. Go over and listen to it run.

• Mark Lennon
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thanks guys for the feed back. Very helpful

• pittsburrito
    3 years ago

The lowest cost Miele is currently on sale for $799, and I almost bought it! But then I learned that the interior capacity of Miele is smaller than most dishwashers, perfect for a couple, but possibly not for a larger family. Also, I spoke to our local certified Miele tech. who made me aware of the expense and delay, if needing a Miele part replaced. We ended up purchasing a KitchenAid, as their parts are easy to access and cheaper. Yale Appliances has several July 2020 posts comparing the top brands for dishwashers.

• Mark Lennon
    Original Author
    3 years ago

cool thanks. I'm in perth Western Australia

• M
    3 years ago

I have both a Miele and a KitchenAid. The Miele has a much smarter interior layout and holds a lot more. It has better spray arms that clean even when packed tightly, whereas the KitchenAid always misses one or two plates.

My Miele hasn't needed more than a single cheap replacement part in almost 10 years of daily use. The KitchenAid is newer, but requires repairs about once a year when the top basket comes crashing down. The parts are cheap. But that's also why they keep breaking.

Also, my Miele does a better job cleaning with it's half hour Express cycle than the KitchenAid does with its hours long normal cycle. It's mind boggling how much of a difference in quality there can be for such a basic appliance.

But admittedly, I did save a few dollars upfront when we bought the KitchenAid. For an infrequently used DW in the in-law kitchen, that made sense. Otherwise, buy Miele and get something that actually works

• Mark Lennon
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Ok thanks

• Mark Lennon
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Miele may be out of my price range as I'm not so well off with cash. We are doing a kitchen reno in the run down house we bought and looking to get a decent dishwasher that isn't too expensive. Is there any cheaper brands that are worth looking at for now?

• Carrie Duwe
    3 years ago

Look for a used dishwasher that is like new. I bought a two year old SubZero and Wolf range 2/3s off the original prices from someone who wanted to make a change. It doesn’t hurt to look at used to see if there’s a good one.

• M
    3 years ago

Also look at Bosch. They don't get quite the same universally positive reviews that Miele gets. But it's a close call. Many very happy Bosch owners in this forum who would never buy a different brand again. And Bosch tends to be a little less pricey thank Miele ... But still not super cheap

• Architectural Notice
    3 years ago

Happy Kitchenaid dishwasher owner here. Model KDPM604KPS was installed three months ago. No issues or problems thus far. Holds a lot and I love the FreeFlex third rack.