Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jessica_finelli

SW Pure White or Extra White

Jessica Finelli
3 years ago

We need to choose a SW white to go on our new kitchen cabinets. Debating between Extra White and Pure White to go with our krypton island and our brittanicca counters. I’m leaning towards extra white but just wanted to get everyone’s opinions.

thanks

Comments (6)

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    3 years ago

IMo before choosing make sure all your lighting is LED 4000K since the lighting has a huge effect on color and it is quite obvious in your pictures

• Linda Domanico
    3 years ago

Extra white looks closer to your quartz sample. I agree with you.

• Jennifer Hogan
    3 years ago

1. You always want to look at your samples on the same plane as they will be when installed, so the first picture is the way you need to look at the samples. Looking at them with the counter top held vertically does not show you what it will look like installed. (Angle of light as it is reflected changes your perception of color).

2. You really need larger samples to make a good decision on any white.

3. The sample has to be the same product that is going to be painted on the cabinets. Some cabinet makers "match" SW colors, some use SW paint. The matches are not always exact matches.

4. What color is your trim? Cabinets and trim have to either be the same or work well together.

5. Spraying paint vs rolling or brushing paint changes the dry time and that changes the color (You can't touch up sprayed paint with a roller - it always shows up darker and can look shinier).

6. Lighting makes a difference - Patricia is absolutely correct that your interior light quality makes a difference - so does the angle of the light coming in through the windows. Both the counter and the cabinets will be impacted by the quality of the light, but where I see huge issues is with under cabinet lighting that is too yellow - shines a yellow color on the counters that is not hitting the cabinets.

Your best bet when getting cabinets in a white is to actually get a sample from the cabinet maker of the colors on a cabinet door or sample door.

All of that said, if I had to select one of the whites you have sampled without seeing a sample painted by the cabinet maker I would go for Pure White over Extra White. Extra White has the slightest hint of blue and is riskier than Pure White.

In my book, the cost of having kitchen cabinets painted is far too high to blindly select the color - I would insist on a painted sample from the cabinet maker.

• Design2 girl
    2 years ago

Interested in how this kitchen turned out from the OP. We are also considering SW Pure White cabinets and walls. Would love to see your finished product!

• Eleni Kamesa
    2 years ago

Jessica I have the same dilemma what did you end up going with ? SW Extra White ?

• Jessica Finelli
    Original Author
    2 years ago

We went another direction all together so I’m no help!