Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_909733091

One big pantry vs. pantry+pocket office

Summer H
3 years ago

Hi all,
Which option would you go with?
If you see the floor plan I attatched, now it has a door to the pantry and a seperate place for a desk(built-in). Im thinking about changing it to a kind of a butler pantry, and put a pocket door to an entry, but now sure if it's too much space wasting?

The whole space will be 7' x 12'. Your opinion will be appreciated!😊

Comments (18)

• traci_from_seattle
    3 years ago

What are the two options? 1) As shown, or 2) move the door to the entry and change the desk to cabinets? (assuming that’s what you mean by butler’s pantry).

I would go with 2. I think you’ll get more use out of an open pantry and more cabinets, and it would reduce the amount of room that pantry door would take up. As drawn that door looks awkward to work around.

• Trish Walter
    3 years ago

I have an open pantry with a butler across from it similar in idea to your floorplan...and it works great. you can see the butler from the kitchen but the food pantry is tucked back so you have to walk back to see it.

• Elaine Doremus Resumes Written
    3 years ago

There has been a trend away from kitchen offices. Will you really use it enough? Would you need the counter space more?

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    3 years ago

First what is it you want to have in a butlers pantry . Ideally a butlers pantry is between the kitchen and the DR so the butler could serve and not go into the kitchen to help with clean up until all the guests had left the DR.This was where drinks were mixed and coffee made also storage for all the “good “ china and crystal. Now people use what thye call a butlers pantry motr for storage of dishware and small appliance space . I have to agree an office in the kitchen is kind of dated. I think though it depends on what you use the office for. I receive and pay all my bills online so a laptop on the kitchen island works perfectly with wifi to print to the printer in our sahred main office downstairs.I honestly can’t see enough space for aa adesk and chair and a propr amount of storage in the pantry in that 7’6’ space I actually really dislike walk in pantries IMO a waste of space and in all the time I have designed kitchens have never designed one into a kitchen but I have in a few designs done an actual butlers pantry.

• itsourcasa
    3 years ago

Do you have another area in your home for an office? If not then I would do the desk there, do you have kids? It looks like a great homework station, right off the kitchen is great for that. But if you already have another designated office space I'd use the whole space for pantry/second fridge/wine fridge, etc. You could also use that space as a reading nook or bench with hooks for kids backpacks. We have a large pantry 5x9 and it's almost too big, it becomes messy and everything that doesn't have a place we go "just put it in the pantry", but we don't have a 2nd fridge in it.

• PRO
    Jeffrey R. Grenz, General Contractor
    3 years ago

Unless you've had a walk in pantry before, you might be surprised how much they can hold.... usually more than a whole kitchen of space. The pantry remaining on your plan would take a full SUV to fill in a single trip.

The office cubby is a very popular choice depending on use. I've done many with most resembling the inside edges of a 2 sided desk, large enough for a a couple of real estate agents and one day trader. It keeps the kitchen table free.

• artemis_ma
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

I really enjoy my walk-in pantry.

I can see having a desk there, since some of us still have bills we pay by check (lawn maintenance, snow plow guy, town taxes... yes, if you do town taxes here on line they tack on a fee...) But this set up would depend on the other places in your home where you might want a desk. I can also see wanting some place close to what's cooking, and also not where the kids are playing with crayons... And your lap top or whatever device is not precluded from a personal desk, of course!

A well-arranged pantry can certainly hold a LOT of food. I've done open shelves of varying height, and I made certain that the 36" one was sturdy and tall enough to hold & use the KitchenAid and other heavy appliances that you might not want out in the kitchen proper.

I don't know your storage needs, so can't recommend one space over the other - but it looks like you should in either case have a great place to put pantry goods.

• lmckuin
    3 years ago

I would only put a desk there if you put a door between the kitchen and this space. I do think a “micro-office” is a good idea though.

• One Devoted Dame
    3 years ago

I would only put a desk there if you put a door between the kitchen and this space.

Agreed. :-)

I like the plan posted (I'd change the Pantry door to a double-acting hinge door, so that it swings itself closed as you pass through it), the only thing I'd change is to add a frosted pocket door to the office area.

• dan1888
    3 years ago

That's a lot of real estate. I'd like to see more of your layout to see if the space it being allocated to get the most productive return.

• Toronto Veterinarian
    3 years ago

I would never use a micro-office, so I'd vote for a larger pantry. and no desk at all, Your mileage may vary -- would you really use that small desk in the kitchen, or are you more likely to use the table or the kitchen island (which you may or may not have)? Personally, I'd use the bigger, airier space, and I've never understood who uses the little desks I've seen in kitchen photos. With a laptop and wireless printers, you could set up to pay your bills, look up recipes, or send correspondence from anywhere, so why limit yourself to a small desk tucked in the kitchen? And if you want a desk with all your filing and peripherals around you, set up a proper office space and don't try to minimize it, IMO.

• PRO
    Charles Ross Homes
    3 years ago

It's a fair point that the space isn't all that large. While it's not a good place to write the great American (or Canadian) novel, it should serve as a functional space for home administrative tasks. It should also help to keep the clutter of junk mail, bills, etc. out of the kitchen. Having built a couple of these spaces, including one that is nearly identical to that shown in the OP's plan, I've found them to feel much larger than they are if they have a window; the OP's plan shows two.

• skfso
    3 years ago

I would move the door for one big pantry. I would do cabinetry where the desk is drawn with a countertop and outlets. I would use it for things like a slow cooker, blender etc.... It will keep those things off your kitchen counters. The rest of the pantry would be shelves.

• bpath
    3 years ago

I’d probably keep the separation, and make the desk area uppers and lowers, with some drawers, but all just 12” deep. For candles and lighters, napkins, that kind of thing. And glass uppers for specialty serveware. And the countertop (which I might make higher than standard counter height) would be a good staging area, or place for the crockpot or breadmaker to do their work.

Maybe a pocket door to that area, but open most of the time for the light. But I’d do the swinging two-way door to the pantry, because I know how mine would start to look and I don’t want to see that! Even when they are tidy, I find the visual collage of colors and sizes and styles of packaging and appliances unattractive.

• JJ
    3 years ago

That window may be the only natural light the kitchen gets. We don't know. But I would not block it with a door.

Do a wall of cabinets instead of a desk.

• B Carey
    3 years ago

I am building a similar space. But instead of a desk space, that spot will be a coffee bar/drink area. You could even make it a baking area.

• PRO
    Mark Bischak, Architect
    3 years ago

Go with a big pantry with no built-ins and put a small desk in it. In the future you can easily change it as your needs change.

I have only designed one house with a small office in it. I should call them and see how it is functioning. It is behind the red door on the right in the image below. The etched glass transom hints to the size of the office.