Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jennifershannonmd

I painted my house too dark!!!!!

Jen Shannon
3 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

i may have painted my house way too dark without enough accent. Please help!:) I wanted a dark look with not much accent but now it is really dark, "funeral home" according to my mom lol. Would you suggest fascia and window trim and gutters being white? We are adding fascia and gutters next week. Or maybe just window trim? Paint the brick? Also garage and front just does not look right to me but I dont know exactly why. Looking for a mid century modern look. I really like the BM Wrought Iron color but need something to pop or contrast. Paint the brick? Thank you!!! Pics below

Comments (29)

• cat_ky
    3 years ago

Please post pictures, no way to answer if we cant see it.

Jen Shannon thanked cat_ky
  • Jen Shannon
    Original Author
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

I am having trouble uploading photos for some reason:( try to upload and nothing happens?

• Marylee H
    3 years ago

Hi Jen. I had the same issue at first. As you load them, wait until they are ungreyed, or the submit button is ungreyed before you actually press it. Otherwise they won’t appear.

🌈

Jen Shannon thanked Marylee H
  • Jen Shannon
    Original Author
    3 years ago

• Jen Shannon
    Original Author
    3 years ago

• Jen Shannon
    Original Author
    3 years ago

• Jen Shannon
    Original Author
    3 years ago

• Jen Shannon
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thank you to Marylee for helping me with how to get photos!!!

• L thomas
    3 years ago

Holy cow that’s beautiful.

• cpartist
    3 years ago

The house looks fabulous. I’m sorry but your Mom is wrong

• Rower 76
    3 years ago

This is amazing!!! Don't freak out! It's just not the "safe/normal/boring" color of a house for most people; hence your mother's reaction. And when have you ever seen a funeral home painted this color...I mean c'mon?!

Jen Shannon thanked Rower 76
  • mrykbee
    3 years ago

I actually like it too.

• plf12652
    3 years ago

A photo from much farther back showing the whole house would help.

• mrykbee
    3 years ago

Move on to your next issue? 👍👌

• Ephma
    3 years ago

Love it! Nothing wrong here

• Carolae
    3 years ago

Another vote for fabulous! I love the contrast with the brick. Leave the brick as is!

Jen Shannon thanked Carolae
  • Jen Shannon
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Omg thank you everybody for your lovely comments. There is still kindness and wonderful people in this world. Really appreciate it.

• Jen Shannon
    Original Author
    3 years ago

I think I just freaked out because it was so drastic of a change. My eye keeps looking for something to pop!

• homechef59
    3 years ago

While I am not typically a dark house person, this is good. You haven't done anything wrong. It works. Thank mom for her advice and ignore it.

Your front door pops.

• calidesign
    3 years ago

I think the front is okay, but the back should have something different around the window trim. The entire back is one solid color. I would paint the trim on the backyard windows in the same white color you have around your garage doors. Also paint that door under the deck either white or red. The gutters should be painted the same color as the siding.

• cat_ky
    3 years ago

Your mother is definitely wrong. The house looks very nice. I do agree with calidesign above though, the back is too solid. You need another color back there. Even the deck is painted same color, and it is just too much. The rest of the house I really like.

• orchidrain
    3 years ago

It may be a little jarring for you, but I think it looks great!

• ljptwt7
    3 years ago

Before I read any comments I thought...Love the color with your brick. It looks great! So if you want to add color to the back, paint back door the same red as on the front door (which also looks fabulous)! Moms are so funny, lol.

• lucidos
    3 years ago

Toss some brass carriage house hardware on the garage door. Then find two matching footed pots in the same tone for either side of the garage door. Put foliage in the pots that compliments or matches the door. This will soften the starkness of the grey expanse. You are fine here a few flowers maybe a bench on the lawn with the same brass trim and you are good. You want the aged brass not the blackened or bright.

Moms are like that. They picture all their daughters in white houses with flowered arbors and precious picket fences. Your life, your choices just tell her you love her and value her.

• houssaon
    3 years ago

Great color choice! I would leave the back as it is.

• ptreckel
    3 years ago

Honestly, I love your dark home. But I would paint out the white trim around the garage door, the front door, and the front porch railing black. The white is jarring. You have enough contrast with the brick on your home. Go all the way with this. I think it will look smashing! Commit!!!!

Jen Shannon thanked ptreckel
  • JustDoIt
    3 years ago

It's looks wonderful.

• Jen Shannon
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thank you everybody so much! I love calidesign and cat ky ideas and ptreckel, totally agree on the jarring, I think that is what I am reacting to. Lucidos your comment totally cracked me up. Thanks for making my day guys:) this is my first time posting and I really appreciate people taking the time!!!