Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mary_armstrong73

Your Ideas for my Laundry Room

Mary Armstrong
3 years ago

I would love your thoughts on how I can make this very small space better! I am thinking of a countertop going across front loading machines all the way to the wall (for folding laundry), taking out the floor-to-ceiling cabinet next to the door and making a space for the litter box under the countertop. Above that, a rod for hanging laundry, and above machines, open shelving with decorative baskets. Also, fun patterns for the floor or backsplash would be awesome!

Comments (14)

• bpath
    3 years ago

I think I would keep cabinets above the machines, instead of open shelves and baskets. Detergent, softener, pre-treatments, boosters, household cleaners, swiffer sheets, store better and are more easily accessible behind doors than in baskets. And, you don’t have to dust the shelves.

• Mary Armstrong
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Yes, that's a good point, I just want an updated look. maybe different doors and knobs?

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

IMO there is no way to add ashelf for folding since your controls are raised at the back .Can you take a pice of the other wall and is this just a laundry room ? I see stuff hanging on the wall . IMO the more closed storage the better The litter box could be a nicer one covered and then not having to lose storage. As for hanging that wall across from the W/D would be a perfect spot for a fold down rack . So you could remove the pantry add some matching cabinet there and a counter to it just won’t be big enough for most folding but better than nothing. Cement tile for flooring and then a color from those tiles for the wall.Kind of depends on how crazy you want to go.

• Mary Armstrong
    Original Author
    3 years ago

I like your ideas for colorful tile! and something on the other wall for hanging could work. I plan to get front loading washer and dryer so a countertop across could work. I just want an updated look and better use of space.

• Maureen
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

I would add a rod above folding area, so you can incorporate a much needed utility closet for items on back of door, detergent, etc You could cut out a portion in a separate lower cabinet for the cat’s litter box - lots of ideas on line.

I like the look of butcher block, white, black and some grey and you could paint the interior of doors black Maybe stick to cupboards for hidden storage on this side of room

Add a narrow bench type set up with hooks/cubbies, etc on opposite wall - take advantage of height for storage abd this is where baskets will be cute

So many decor directions - first decide on layout, color of appliances and look for on line inspiration to help you decide on a look. With the room being so small, I’d lean towards a light, bright and fresh look with an impactful floor

• Mary Armstrong
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thanks, Maureen, you got me going in the right direction! I love the cabinets and rod over the w/d; that will work for us! I appreciate your perspective; until I saw my pics, I didn't realize the clutter especially behind the door! I'm not sure how to put those cleaning tools in cabinet and have space at the bottom for a litter box. I may just move them out to the garage.

• Maureen
    3 years ago

You don’t want to see my laundry room!

Here was my inspiration on how to combine storage and hiding litter. Some cats may not like the smaller hole, so could be made larger or don’t add a door, but at least it would be out of the way

• shirlpp
    3 years ago

My laundry room is pretty much like yours, except I have a little extra space(L shaped).

I had open shelving and hated it. Detergent, clorox, spot remover, etc....were always in the open.

I went to Lowes and purchased their in stock Diamond Now cabinets and I'm much happier. The cabinets don't go to the ceiling, which is fine in this day and age(extra toilet paper and paper towels at the top). I had the contractor install a 24" rod and a formica countertop from HD. My laundry room looks nice and tidy and always clean.

I like your ideas except for the open storage...Good Luck!

• PRO
    Courtney Thomas Design
    3 years ago

Note in our design pictured below, how we added a counter above the washer and dryer. We also had enough space to add a sink and more counter tops. Perhaps this image will help you with your own dilemma?

Upscale Family Home: Laundry Room · More Info

• spindle22
    3 years ago

Gorgeous!

• chloebud
    3 years ago

Nicely done, Mary!

• shirlpp
    3 years ago

Nice and tidy and will always look clean!

• mxk3 z5b_MI
    3 years ago

Looks great and more functional - nice job!

Sponsored
Buckeye Restoration & Remodeling Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars7 Reviews
Central Ohio's Premier Home Remodelers Since 1996