Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_339647040

They sent the wrong rug and I’m glad

Jilly
3 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

I ordered this Pottery Barn rug around 587 months ago and it finally arrived today. I was so excited! After 3 hrs — and two broken fingernails — spent trying to get it unwrapped (wow, PB takes packaging seriously!), I was very impressed. It’s beautiful and absolutely the exact colors I was hoping for. Much better than the photos showed.

Later, I went to clear my PB update emails, and realized it’s not the one I ordered. Derp. But I like it better. I‘m very glad someone messed up. :)

Funny, too, because I picked up gold pillows today, and they look great with the rug. (This is all for the guest room I’m doing after my DD moved away.)

Mistake Rug:

Rug I ordered. Very nice, but Mistake Rug fits room better ....

Getting started. Currently staining the nightstand; it’ll go on the left. It’s Mexican pine, and I’m doing an ebony ”wash” on it. Need lamp, art (that’ll take awhile as we like to find unique things), and a couple of plants for large window seat. Keeping it pretty simple, as it’s such a small room. It’s no secret I love warm, earthy colors. :D

I’ve had the crochet pillows and ecru coverlet since 1993. Don’t tell Good Housekeeping.

I may remove the two large pillows in back. I’m testing different looks. :)

Some of you may remember my other thread about this room, and moodboard I did with a wicker headboard. We decided to keep this black bed, as it’s lovely and better quality. It has an antiqued rubbed finish that goes well with my rustic inclinations. I went in a bit of a different direction than I was planning!

I love this old-fashioned raised design (on footboard, too).

Comments (67)

• l pinkmountain
    3 years ago

LOVE that lamp! I didn't know about your headboard choices but I really like that bed. Is it a family piece? Wicker is nice but my folks had one and discovered it is hard to keep dust free, lots of nooks and crannies for the dust to hide in . . . bothered my Mom's allergies and probably would mine if I had one.

Jilly thanked l pinkmountain
  • Jilly
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thank you, pink! No, we got it local in the early 2000s for my daughter. I guess it's becoming a family piece now. :)

Great points about keeping wicker clean, I hadn’t even thought of that!

• Jilly
    Original Author
    3 years ago

We went to the antique mall today and got this vintage horse plate (for rings and such) and vintage pottery. I just ordered this folk art quail art, too.

Waiting for lamp!

Frame I’m planning:

I also have this antique print to get framed:

• Jilly
    Original Author
    3 years ago

I got the correct lamp! 😆

It came tonight, a week early. We love it — it’s heavy, well-made, very cool with two shades.

Bad photos, sorry, just grabbed my iPad quick ...

• Arapaho-Rd
    3 years ago

Perfect !!!

Jilly thanked Arapaho-Rd
  • User
    3 years ago

I don't know why your post about the MSAM haul just now showed up for me. I love what you've added though! And that lamp is perfection. You're creating such an interesting, welcoming room!

Jilly thanked User
  • Jilly
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thank you, Arapaho and Ida!

Mr Jinx snores LOUD and has already used this room twice. He says it‘s comfy. 😆

We’d seen vintage quail art at MSAM, but they just weren’t right. I found this artist online and like her works. Very excited to get the print! She does art on wood blocks, too.

We‘re very impressed with this lamp! It looks better in person than photos.

ETA: My pillow basket came, too! It’s huuuuge. I highly recommend if anyone needs a large, smooth-ish basket (won’t snag threads).

• rubyclaire
    3 years ago

This room has really come toghether and I love the addition of the lamp - very cool.

Jilly thanked rubyclaire
  • amykath
    3 years ago

Gorgeous lamp! I love the piece above your bed!

Jilly thanked amykath
  • Jilly
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thank you, rubyclaire and aktillery!

I’m gathering art now. I framed my horse Chromolithograph ... it’s so fragile (1903), a corner tore as I was working with it. I’m so mad at myself.

This piece is a heavily textured painted cloth Mr Jinx and his late wife got in Jamaica. It’s been rolled up for over 20 years — today I found a great shadow box with padding and pins to secure the canvas cloth. I love the style of it ... makes me think of what I’ve heard (and seen videos) of her: bright, fun, and colorful personality. 😊

• User
    3 years ago

They look wonderful! (Sorry about the tear though!) I really like your choice of frames, which work nicely with the art AND with the room.

ETA: I absolutely love how you both celebrate your late spouses. What a tribute to them both, and a testament to the beautiful souls that you and Mr. Jinx are.

Jilly thanked User
  • Jilly
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thanks, Ida! I’m so excited to get the quail! I got the frame for it today (no matting, just a sort of rustic wood frame).

The cloth piece was actually thrown in when they bought another artwork. We have that one in a hallway, I love it. It’s so interesting up close, lots of hidden things:

• Jilly
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Ida, just saw your edit ... thank you so much. I got choked up at your sweet words. 😊 ❤️ They were both just wonderful people and will never ever be forgotten. They’re a part of us forever and I always want to honor their memories. I think she’d be tickled I finally got the art framed!

• User
    3 years ago

I love that. ❤

Jilly thanked User
  • Jilly
    Original Author
    3 years ago

This wall grouping does not photograph well ... the room is so small, I can’t stand back enough to show true scale/balance/proportions/relation to rest of room. I swear it looks better in real life!

I purposely hung the mirror high because I’m using it as art — to reflect light and give dimension. I found the vintage wood accordion rack at a garage sale over 10 yrs ago.

Metal Earth stagecoach my DH made:

Continued ....

• Jilly
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Continued ...

This brass horse ring was in the barns at two of our ranches as I was growing up. We’d hang a halter or lead rope from it:

This precious tooled leather stool was made by my sweet grandfather-in-law (my late husband’s grandpa) in the 60s. I was very close with him, this is one of my most beloved treasures:

One of our feline plant murderers has been snacking on this ivy for a while, it’s now in a safe spot where I can nurse it. 😄

• User
    3 years ago

It all looks sooooo terrific! I do know exactly what you mean about things not photographing quite as they appear in person. Even so, the wall arrangement looks perfect to me. I love how you've incorporated treasures that really mean something to you. Anyone lucky enough to be staying in this room will surely feel the love!

Jilly thanked User
  • User
    3 years ago

Oh, and that tiny stagecoach! Eeeeee! 😻

Jilly thanked User
  • Jilly
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Aww, thank you, Ida! I need you to come over and help me tweak it! :)

I might make slight changes ... I tend to get in a hurry, I just want it DONE. 😁

The one art is the stock photo, my quail hasn’t arrived yet. Ha! Who dis kids?? 😂

• Jilly
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Ok, while coffee was brewing, I took down the mirror and shelf. I was thinking last night — I want this room to be very calm and serene. If it were my own room, I’d leave it, but not for the guest room. So, tweaking in progress.

My Jinx laughed that I was doing all that while he was showering for work. 😄

• User
    3 years ago

Hey, it's what we do. 😉

Isn't it fun though? The pottering and puttering around to get it "just so"! I love the whole process!

ETA: Well, except for the fact that I couldn't fall asleep last night due to a newfound obsession that my master bath towels are not quite the right color.

Jilly thanked User
  • Jilly
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Lol!

Yes! You get me! 😄❤️

• amykath
    3 years ago

I love it. That brass horse ring is gorgeous!

Jilly thanked amykath
  • Jilly
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thank you, Ak! It’s been sitting in the garage for nearly 3 yrs, I’m so glad to finally have it out. :)

I’m liking the wall better without the mirror/shelf. I’m trying to decide now if I want to take away the accordion rack, and just have a grouping of the three remaining artworks (placed differently than current, of course). Trying to find a balance of “hotel zen”, but still personal and cozy. If that makes sense. 🥴

• Jilly
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Ida, Ak, and anyone else reading ... help!

I feel ridiculous with this, it shouldn’t be hard. But with it being this long expanse of wall, with no furniture, window, etc breaking it up, I’m struggling. Ugh.

Ok, with mirror and shelf gone. Definitely better. But something is still still bugging me. I like it, but don’t love it? I don’t know. I wish I loved it because, holy nail holes! 😬

Or, should I take down the accordion rack and do a threesome centered with the footboard? It’ll leave a lot of wall space, but I’m not too concerned about that. Is it too boring?

Not the best mock-up, I’d space them a bit farther apart. Just looking at arrangement.

• User
    3 years ago

What if you did the arrangement of 3, and hung the rack a bit closer to the door? Would there be enough space for that?

Then again, you know me. I'd probably end up making it a flippin' gallery wall, and completely throw off the calm aesthetic you've got going on now!

Jilly thanked User
  • Jilly
    Original Author
    3 years ago

I meant to say that, too ... you read my mind! (About putting rack on right.) I think I’ll try it.

I’d totally do a whole gallery wall if we weren’t renting. As it is, I better find out what paint color this is (I think it’s in the attic). 😬

Thank you! 😘

(And I’m going to tape up same-sized outlines before driving any more nails.)

• rubyclaire
    3 years ago

I'm no help but that horse ring is fabulous!!

Jilly thanked rubyclaire
  • Jilly
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thank you, rubyclaire!

Ok, almost it, just need my quail print in place of those cute, but not mine, kids. I just got an e-mail that FA Quail has shipped! (Folk Art Quail.) :)

Putting the dark basket up there showed me what I didn’t like before — too much tan. Needed something contrasting. I might get a basket I like better, but this one is kind of sentimental. We’ll see.

Got my very old small wood/leather shelf up, with my equally old candlestick I’ve had forever.

Still must say, these are just quick iPad pics I snapped ... it looks better in person. More depth and good scale.

It does feel more serene in there now!

It’s not crooked, just bad photographer. :D The darker parts of shelf are leather. It’s super heavy.

• User
    3 years ago

Yes! I LOVE this! I think you've reached perfection ... or you WILL, once FAQ arrives.

Jilly thanked User
  • Jilly
    Original Author
    3 years ago

FAQ 😆

Thank you! And for holding my hand! 😄

It’s not as interesting, but it’s more calm (in real life). I’m pretty much done, except for maybe getting a small round table on the other side of the bed. No lamp, just for someone’s phone, tablet, book, drink, whatever (if two people are staying).

• lobby68
    3 years ago

This room is really, really lovely. That lamp is killing me in its perfection! Very excited to see it when the quail arrives.

Jilly thanked lobby68
  • Jilly
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thank you, lobby! :)

• Jilly
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Just ordered this for living room:

And some fall leggings:

• Jilly thanked User
  • Jilly
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Oh .... YOU ARE A BAD INFLUENCE!

That is so sweet, I love it!! The colors, the composition, the vintage matting, everything. Thank you for sharing ... um ... could you try to convince Mr Jinx we need it? 🥰

“I’m all art buying “out” for now ...” SURRRRRE.

Horse lamp is coming tomorrow! I hope the good reviews were right. I hope it doesn’t look like a dorky plastic toy with a lampshade on it. 😬

• Jilly
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Oh, I could frame my “Chachi just kissed my cheek” picture. Yes, I got kissed by Chachi in 1979. No, I don’t align with all his life views now ... but this was 1979. Very exciting to meet Chachi. 😆😄😁

I was wearing my favorite green corduroy vest and pants outfit. I was 10.

• User
    3 years ago

You absolutely should frame that! Such a cute picture! And yes, he WAS an adorable boy back in the day.

Jilly thanked User
  • Jilly
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Ida, you need a Mr Pennywhistle! He came today, I love him. :)

• User
    3 years ago

Oh my goodness! He's absolutely wonderful! And so perfect in that frame. Does the artist have a website by chance?

Jilly thanked User
  • Jilly
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thank you!

She does have a website and is so nice —

https://www.traceycapone.com

https://www.traceycapone.com/collections/original-illustrations

I’ve always loved folk art styles, will probably order something else. :)

ETA: Loving this one, of course. 😁

https://www.traceycapone.com/collections/original-illustrations/products/cat-illustration-cozy-floral-home-decor

• User
    3 years ago

I'm not trying to highjack, but wanted to show you my little $15 painting that arrived today from a Mercari seller. I had to paint the sides of the canvas to "complete" the look, but am happy with it hung between the two mirrors over the master bath vanity. I think it's a mere 7" x 14". Little thing!

Jilly thanked User
  • Jilly
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Oh, I LOVE it! That’s fantastic! 😍

• User
    3 years ago

I absolutely LOVE Tracey's work! It's all so wonderful that it would be awfully hard to choose just one piece. I really like this. It's just so sweet and something about it reminds me of childhood.

Jilly thanked User
  • Jilly
    Original Author
    3 years ago

I like that one, too. :)

She does wood mounted art, too ... I’m thinking that’s what I’ll order next. I am running out of wall space, though. 😆

• User
    3 years ago

Just saw this on Pinterest. It's wallpaper and sort of has a bit of a folk art look. Cute!

Jilly thanked User
  • Jilly
    Original Author
    3 years ago

That’s beautiful, thank you for sharing! I’ve always had a soft spot for folk art. :)

• Jilly
    Original Author
    3 years ago

I’m so excited ... I just ordered this James Audubon 1839 Mountain Lion (my fav big cats) print. I’ve been needing one more piece of art for our master bath. I don’t have much in there, just two other vintage pieces ....

This one is identical to one my late mother had in her bedroom when I was a kid. I never knew what happened to it. One day, my dad and I met for lunch in a tiny town near our jobs, then saw this little antique store in an old cottage next door. We walked over, and I nearly yelled, “Dad!! It’s exactly like my mother had!” (Frame and all.) He remembered, we walked around, left. Well, he went back and got it for me. :) I got so choked up (she had MS and died young). It’s very special and I fantasize that it’s actually the one she had and found its way to me. :) We went back not long after, the cottage had closed and sold.

My lovely bathing lady over the tub/window.

Macrame under her:

OK! Anyway! :D I painted this canvas today with a linen acrylic over some mottled colors and am going to glue the cougars over it. The print is 11x14, the canvas is 18x20. If it turns out looking crummy, I’ll give it to someone I don’t like for Christmas.

ETA: NOC was chilling in a dining chair as I was painting. 😄

• User
    3 years ago

Jinx, how did your mountain lion print turn out? What a great idea to affix it to a canvas! I'll bet it looks great!

That wonderful print of the woman reading ... Yep. I remember that from my childhood, as one of the women in my life (and I cannot recall if it was my mother or grandmother) had that in her home. Just something about seeing it here really takes me back to many years ago. It's such a sweet, contemplative picture. And what a lovely story about you finding it with your Dad, and him returning to get it for you. That's so indicative of what a kind and loving person he must surely be!

I love your bathing lady and the macrame curtain too. Oh, and NOC ... chillin' like a kitty do. So cute!

Jilly thanked User
  • Jilly
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thank you, sweet Ida! :)

I’m still waiting on the mountain lion print ... I so hope I don‘t mess it up! 😬

Sponsored
Fine Designs & Interiors, Ltd.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
Columbus Leading Interior Designer - Best of Houzz 2014-2022