Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
orion24n

door color and shutter for a 1980 rambler with porch white brick

orion24n
3 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

repainted orange brick white and now need to address front door and curb appeal. There is a large front porch and front door tucked in on side of porch. What color for front door, brick wall caps, and landscaping by against concrete porch. Thank you!

Comments (22)

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    3 years ago

IMO you need a new garage door in wood with windows since it is in your face before the house.A walkway from the street to the front door and remove all the plantings that hide the actual entry . I would do the front door and garage door in a MCM style but honestly I don’t even see the front door right now and BTW no shutters

orion24n thanked Patricia Colwell Consulting
  • chloebud
    3 years ago

I would first do some major trimming and/or removal of plantings to expose more of that end of the house. Think about a garage door with windows across the top. It will add interest and help break up the "wall" of garage. Front door color can be just about anything you like.

orion24n thanked chloebud
  • emmarene9
    3 years ago

You are asking about door and shutter color but I can't see either. Could you show what you intend to paint?

I will second the opinion above. The house would be more appealing if it was visible.

orion24n thanked emmarene9
  • Fori
    3 years ago

Trim the bush on the viewer's right to the height of the one by the garage (approximately--height depends on the actual plant).

More photos would be helpful. I doubt that the garage is so prominent from most angles--I know this style of house well and while yeah, the garage is out there, the photo's perspective exaggerates it. The garage is not a sin. :)

Don't forget the lights on the garage!

orion24n thanked Fori
  • orion24n
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thanks for all of the great feedback and trimming shrubs is a good idea. There are lights on the garage that help accent. I have attached a couple more photos to show the front door that I would like to paint blue?

I agree shutters might be to much.

Any ideas if to replace the box woods shrubs in front of the concrete porch. Thank you all

• orion24n
    Original Author
    3 years ago

One more photo to show wider span.

• orion24n
    Original Author
    3 years ago

not sure if front porch photo attached, but here is the door I would appreciate input on re color. And shutters no or yes?

• Fori
    3 years ago

It didn't attach.

If you don't have shutters, don't add them.

• chloebud
    3 years ago

Not the right style windows for shutters.

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    3 years ago

you need to prune back all of those shrubs that are blocking the house.

then you need some contrast to all of that white. NO shutters!!

Just do this:

I'd paint all of the trim under the roof black. replace those white porch posts w/cedar posts. get rid of the white picket fence and bring in some redwood or cedar (and find a place for the trash cans)

and get a nice modern garage door with some cool garage lights.

you could also paint yours black, and add some glass to them. new lights.

Then do something w/that yard!

You'll have the coolest house on the block!

If you're in So Cal, do a xeriscape w/succulants. the bright greens against the black and white will look great

bring in some warm wood slat fencing w/black pebbles for the flower beds

on your porch, you could even do this slat wood type of breezeway thing:

here's the door and lights I used for yours. notice the black fascia trim. you need to do this!

don't like that door? then do a wood one like is on this house.

do a nice pathway down the center of your yard (instead of to the driveway)

don't forget some nice modern address numbers.

and if you can swing a door like this, and paint your porch floor black, great!

• tozmo1
    3 years ago

Looks like you have curved brick walls around the front porch. Any plantings around them should be low enough to allow the curves to show. In fact, I would plant only flowers in that strip and put plantings on the other side of the walk, into the yard. More like this, in the yard not up against the house or in your case, the wall, which adds interest.

• orion24n
    Original Author
    3 years ago

I would like to paint door a blue hue and appreciate recommendations?

• Denita
    3 years ago

None of your pics posted other than the one in the original post.

We are a visual bunch. Can you please post a pic of the front door area so we can see what you see in order to make good color suggestions?

orion24n thanked Denita
  • orion24n
    Original Author
    3 years ago

• orion24n
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Any advice for replacing the boxwoods which are being removed today. They go all the way across against the concrete porch anchored by a beautiful Japanese tree which is staying.

I would like to add some contrast and would like something with a blue hue. Thank you

• Denita
    3 years ago

I think a black front door or a bright yellow or even lime green door would work for you. You can go any color with your white home and it would work IMO. What colors are you drawn to? Red works. Even pink works. Coral is great. Do you have plants that bloom in a color from which you can select your door color?

30 Best Front Door Paint Colors - Beautiful Paint Ideas for Front Doors · More Info

Historical House Complete Renovation in Los Angeles · More Info

light blue siding with bold front door - Google Search · More Info

front door color to tie in with landscaping - Google Search · More Info

15 Stunning Front Door Colors That Wow | Family Handyman · More Info

orion24n thanked Denita
  • raee_gw zone 5b-6a Ohio
    3 years ago

If you want blue, think about a dark blue - indigo or navy perhaps. Raisin or plum would be out of the ordinary but attractive, I think.

BethH has shown you some ideas that are perfect for your house. If you go with a dark color for trim (include the trim around your windows, too, please!) you can choose a 3rd, brighter color for the front door if you like.

You have light gray foundation on either side of your garage door, (and lots of cement driveway) - so I would choose colors that work with that shade of gray - or paint the foundation that is showing white also.

I'm glad you are taking out the boxwoods - the walls are a feature that need to show. Look for low growing, spreading or mounding "carpet" evergreens to replace them - carpet juniper is available in shades from blue, to blue-gray, to green, to yellow-green (do a Bing search for carpet juniper to see images and to see if it will thrive in your climate) so you can choose a variety that complements the colors that you choose. You can add some small succulents to the bed also for variety and texture. Carpet roses are another thought.

• emmarene9
    3 years ago

That bed does not look very deep. I would use perennials rather than shrubs. Did you tell us your growing zone?

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    3 years ago

orion,,,scroll up to my first comment. did you see the photoshop? if you like blue, then do it in a dark navy instead of the black I mentioned.

• orion24n
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thanks for all of the great feedback. I have pruned everything per suggestions. This made a big difference and o so appreciate this feedback.

The beds are not very deep and I love zone 4.

I will send another picture that highlights your awesome suggestions to date.

• housegal200
    3 years ago

You need to draw the eye away from the garage door and garbage cans. Get a garden center to design plantings for the right side of the house. As for the garage, Patricia's advice is good--different garage door.

Craftsman · More Info