Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_19691726

Cell phone confusion...

User
3 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

My Samsung Galaxy S8 is coming up on 3 years old and has, over the past month or two, started acting a bit wonky. I've had to do a network reset three times in that span of time (under the advice of my carrier's customer service), and I've had trouble receiving and sending texts intermittently. Yesterday I dropped the phone and the screen shattered at the corner and sent two cracks running across the display. It's still usable, but I am probably ready to pull the trigger on a new phone soon.I am confused by so much when it comes to this technology. I'm not even quite sure how I ended up with an android, and at first I was thinking I'd just get the latest Samsung, which is a 5G phone, but I'm not committed to that. Is there any advantage to an iphone instead? I don't even know for sure where to go to read the most reliable reviews.Can anyone shed some light on how to best go about choosing? When considering spending close to $1k, I want to be sure I choose wisely. But that's hard to do when there are options out there that I don't even understand.

Comments (56)

• olychick
    3 years ago

I have all apple products, but I have to disagree about them being intuitive. I find they are the opposite of that and have a terrible time figuring out many things that I had no problems with before apple. Differences in peoples' intuitive sensibilities. I do like that they synch with each other (for the most part, most of the time). They do have great customer service.

• hcbm
    3 years ago

Lukki Irish, thank you for the info about the SE. I am inclined to use the 6 for now as I hate to spend $400 when I have a perfectly serviceable alternative available. However, new and shinny sounds good. Terezosa, my understanding from the Verizion people is the iPhone 6 is 5G as well as any phones that came after that.

Ida, One last thought how large a phone do you want? Do you want to carry those newer larger devices?

• Bunny
    3 years ago

I have an iPhone 11 Max Pro. It’s expensive, but I love it. How I love facial recognition. I’m a Mac person through and through.

Before this I had a 6S Plus. It was really a good phone despite being about 4 years old. I really wanted the better camera of the 11. Wide angle, telephoto, depth of field.

• Fun2BHere
    3 years ago

HERE'S a good article comparing the two operating systems.

• User
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thanks for the helpful info!

I don't own any Apple products currently. I guess we tend to like what we're used to, and I've been happy with my Samsung. I haven't been completely happy with my carrier though, Boost Mobile. I understand that Sprint now owns Boost (or maybe it's T Mobile). On my last international trip I was unable to use my phone for calls back to the US as I was on a prepaid package that had no option for adding a temporary International plan, and the phone was locked, preventing me from switching out the SIM card in the foreign country. (Boost required the lock for a year.) The carrier options are every bit as confusing to me as are the different devices, and perhaps more so.

• 3katz4me
    3 years ago

I was going to switch from AT&T to Consumer Cellular but learned that if there is a high load in a particular area Consumer Cellular users get bumped off the AT&T network. I’ve been very happy with AT&T including international use. Only thing that irks me is the price but I guess you get what you pay for.

• DLM2000-GW
    3 years ago

I have a Google pixel phone - love it, LOVE the camera. One thing to keep in mind is that android products and apple products do not play well together. We are a 'mixed' family and in order for us to see the iphone videos of our granddaughter in the right size and not pixilated the whole family had to switch to messaging through Signal. iPhones do something to downgrade the quality when sending to an Android phone - I don't know the actual technical explanation but that's basically how it was explained to me. So if your family/friends are a mixed bag of Android and iPhone and you send pics and videos back and forth, you probably experience those issues already.

Forgot to say I'm another who does not find apple products to be intuitive. Had an iPad and just could not get used to it at all. Gave it to my apple loving son.

• User
    Original Author
    3 years ago

I've just read the same thing about Visible Wireless, which is a lower cost provider piggybacking on the Verizon network. Apparently the higher cost provider prioritizes customer use, and a third party customer may notice slowed speeds during congested times.

• gsciencechick
    3 years ago

We've only had iPhones. I do think they're easy to use, and it syncs with my iPad as well. Ours are both iPhone 8's, so we'll keep these until they start to give us problems. We had 5's before these and they just got too old and slow. I had my previous iPhone in China and I had no problems using it with the temporary international plan.

• Moxie
    3 years ago

CNET has decent reviews of technology. Link to phone reviews.

I like my iPhone and my iPad, but prefer Windows for a desktop or laptop. I like the quality of the Apple hardware and software more than android and the various phones that use it. A lot depends on what you want from the device.

I came to Apple because it was far ahead of android for accessibility for the vision impaired. It was life-changing for DH to have that access. It made sense for me to use the same platform so that I could provide tech support for him without a huge learning curve for every question he had. I mainly use my phone for email, text and voice. I occasionally take a picture or search the web. I've only streamed video once or twice.

A lot depends on how you want to use the device. Some things to consider:

• size of device in your hand

• headphone jack vs bluetooth headphones

• battery life

• sound quality for phone calls

• sound quality for music

• sound/image quality for video

• availability of applications and games

• camera quality

• ability to shoot high resolution video

• video streaming performance

• price

• memory

• processor speed

• storage (video and photos gobble up file space)

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    3 years ago

We have iPhones, too. I can sync with my iPad and my Macbook Pro. I have At&T and have no complaints whether here or overseas. I love my Apple products.

• terezosa / terriks
    3 years ago

Unfortunately, eliminating the headphone jack seems to be universal now. I don't want to have to charge another device to use earbuds!

I find Android very easy to use and customize, but it's the only smart phone system that I've ever used. When my mother or her BF hands me their iPhone to help them do something I get lost. 😜

My current phone is a Samsung Galaxy Note 9, and I love the large size. I hope that I can keep it for a long time because I do like my headphone jack.

My husband and I have been using T-Mobile for years now, and two of our kids have switched to it. With their 55+ plan we have two lines of unlimited everything for $70 a month, and that includes all taxes and fees. When we travel abroad the unlimited data and texting to/from US numbers comes with us, and calls are 25 cents a minute, though I use apps to make free calls over wifi. And T-Mobile customer service has been awesome for me.

• Lukki Irish
    3 years ago

Sprint is gone, they were swallowed up by T-Mobile earlier this year. I have Verizon and am happy with it. The unlimited plans regardless of carrier can be really pricey especially if you don’t use a lot of data. Verizon offers less expensive limited data plans that are a lot more reasonable. I’m not familiar with their policies regarding international travel though. I believe you can arrange for it when traveling for an additional fee.

Choosing which phone would be right for you can be overwhelming but most of the carriers do offer a trial window so if you decide a phone isn’t right for you, you can swap it out.

I think the first iphone I got was a 4S, I had a Blackberry before that and had no problem adapting to the change. Most people I know find them very easy to learn too but yes, it’s really an individual thing.

• rich69b
    3 years ago

I also have an S8, over 2 years old and just like you, I dropped my phone a few times, and also has 2 long cracks on each side of the phone, and the bottom part has cracks where I dropped it. I'm also looking to replace it soon, but I'm not in a hurry as I can still use it, though it acts up once in a while. My husband has S10 and the camera is really, really great, if you're into that. I think I will stick to Samsung since I'm so used to it.

• ratherbesewing
    3 years ago

I can’t comment on Apple vs Android. I use an IPad and an Android, but don‘t need all devices to work together. My biggest complaint Is that my phone doesn’t fit into all my wristlet purses 😩 I will not make that mistake again.

• sas95
    3 years ago

I used to have Apple products (iphone, ipad), but several years ago I switched to Samsung and I wouldn't go back. I don't like that Apple products don't play well with others. My camera is better than my husband's latest iphone. It's a more flexible, open system. I believe the iphone is more secure. I don't think there's a right answer here. It's more of a preference.

• My3dogs ME zone 5A
    3 years ago

I just Google 'Best cell phones', and found this - Best phones in 2020: The top smartphones rated | Tom's Guide dated Sept 3.

Which brand of phone is the best?

The best phones you can buy today

• OnePlus 8 Pro.
    • Google Pixel 4a.
    • iPhone SE 2020.
    • Samsung Galaxy Note 20.
    • iPhone 11 Pro Max.
    • Moto G Power. The longest-lasting phone you can buy.
    • OnePlus Nord. The best value for Android — if you can find it.
    • Samsung Galaxy S20 Plus. Still an excellent all-around Android flagship.

What are the best phones?

Based on our testing, the iPhone 11 is the best phone for most people, as it captures great photos, boasts a bright display and offers long battery life. It's a great choice for under $700. The iPhone 12 is on the horizon with 5G, but that likely won't launch until October.

• Bluebell66
    3 years ago

Like DLM I have a Google Pixel and really like it. It has a fantastic camera and I find it easy to use. I've never had an Apple phone but do have an iPad and find the Android phones more intuitive than Apple.

As mentioned above, size may factor into your decision, especially if you listen to music on your phone when you run or use tiny purses.

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    3 years ago

I love my google pixel 3a xl, great camera. Firmly in the android camp!

• nini804
    3 years ago

Our entire family is ALL Apple products....kids & I have iPhones, Macbooks, iPads. Just to be contrary...dh has an Android. 🙄 He says it’s the only way to keep the rest of us from taking his charger. 😂

His phone is annoying to me. For some reason, it can’t be added to group texts that were started by an IPhone, and it doesn’t have FaceTime, so when the nurses call from the AL to FaceTime with his mom...they have to call my phone. Which is fine, but often (usually) I am not with him, and I know his mom would rather see him, lol!

• Allison0704
    3 years ago

I have not read the comments, but I will tell you my experience. Had Apple for years, but DH had an Android and loved it. When I switched to his carrier (children all left the nest so I was alone on my plan), I switched to an Android. I had it until the lease was up, and hated it every. single. day. Switched back to Apple and will never change.

• User
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thanks again for all of the very helpful info (and opinion!). I can see that there are devoted "camps", not just here but in all of the online reading I've been doing on the subject. I don't really have opportunity to interact with others who exclusively use Apple products, other than a couple of group texts with colleagues that we use to share non-work-related communication from time to time. I'm going to look into the phones mentioned here, as well as the carriers and plans. I do recall reading about 55+ plans (I'm eligible, DH is not, but assuming we could still get such a deal together - ?), but the last time I checked into them they were no longer available. I'll look again.

For now, I think I will wait a little longer before making the purchase. The cracked screen really bothered me when it first happened, but it doesn't seem to be affecting the functionality of my phone (yet), so I believe I've got some time before committing. And who knows, maybe there will be some decent sales before Black Friday.

• terezosa / terriks
    3 years ago

The T-mobile 55+ plan that I have is still available, and I'm pretty sure that only one if the users needs to be over 55.

https://www.t-mobile.com/cell-phone-plans/unlimited-55-senior-discount-plans

• Tina Marie
    3 years ago

I think I also close to needing a new phone. I love my iphone and have had one for years, BUT I WILL NOT PAY $1000 FOR A PHONE!!! I don't update to the latest model often as the phones last a very long time. I will probably go to the apple store and buy a phone outright. I do not like the monthly pay phone plans. I can't see myself using a different brand phone, but $1000 is absolutely ridiculous for a cell phone.

My BIL switched last year to Consumer Cellular. He hasn't had any problems. We have AT&T and Consumer Cellular uses their towers - for less. I'm going to check that out also.

I do not like FaceTime and I rarely use my (old) ipad (I prefer my laptop).

• tannatonk23_fl_z9a
    3 years ago

Sorry I haven’t read all the responses, but have you considered just having the screen repaired? We have a store in town that does that. I have not personally used the service though. It appears this is a national chain. Here’s a link:

https://www.ubreakifix.com/samsung-repair

PS. I am with the Apple Party and I guess the only reason is because it is what I know and the vast majority of my family and friends use Apple.

• User
    Original Author
    3 years ago

I looked into ubreakifix, and the reviews seemed mixed. Also looked like a screen repair was going to start at over $200, and not knowing how that would work long-term, I think I'd just rather replace the phone.

• woodrose
    3 years ago

I've had both and much prefer an iPhone. Android phones have become an unsolvable puzzle to me. I can use an android tablet with no problem, but hand me a phone and I'm lost. I've never had an iPhone go wonky on me or die and I've used some really old ones. I've been using hand-me-down phones from my granddaughter for several years,. I have an 8 Plus now and I love it !

• Lukki Irish
    3 years ago

Tina, Apple has the new SE that might suit your needs. It’s the only phone keeping the button. It’s the size of the older phones but with many of the new bells and whistles for 399.00. I always buy my phones up front so I hear what you’re saying about the price, I do like having the larger screen though, it’s much easier to see with my aging eyes. (And the green one I got is so pretty!)

• carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
    3 years ago

FWIW, I have a Mac desktop and 2 iPods, but have had only Android phones and find iOS a bit annoying and frustrating to use. I really like Samsung phones.

Everybody else in my family has iPhones, so I sometimes feel like the odd one out. The only time it's really a problem is when they do group texts - I've literally been left out of those, however, my iPod touch does everything you can do with an iPhone except use mobile data, so I can connect with family that way whenever I want, as long as I have wifi.

My Android batteries seem to last longer too.

• Tina Marie
    3 years ago

Thanks Lukki! I'll check that out. My husband and I both like the smaller iphone size. I don't know why the installment thing just makes me feel like i'm renting a phone. LOL

• sas95
    3 years ago

For some reason, it can’t be added to group texts that were started by an IPhone, and it doesn’t have FaceTime, so when the nurses call from the AL to FaceTime with his mom...they have to call my phone. Which is fine, but often (usually) I am not with him, and I know his mom would rather see him, lol!

This is exactly why I won't use Apple products. Because it's not right that if you don't use Apple, you can't have full functionality when dealing with people who do. And vice versa. No other system is like that. When I switched to an Android from an iphone there was almost a two week lag period where I couldn't text reliably with people in my contact list that had iphones. Because of something in Apple's "nonsharing" system. It's my personal decision not to support that type of business model.

• terezosa / terriks
    3 years ago

For my fellow Android users - do you use Google Opinion Rewards? I never pay for apps because I earn enough credits doing 20 second surveys that I always have a good balance. You can also use the credits to buy music, movie rentals and books. Over the last 4 years I've earned $288 in rewards.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.google.android.apps.paidtasks&hl=en_US

• carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
    3 years ago

Thanks for sharing that info - I enjoy doing things like that. I've earned several hundred dollars worth of gift cards that way.

• lizbeth-gardener
    3 years ago

We're a Mac/Apple family-laptops, phones and iPads. I love their service and viruses seem to be less of an issue. My DH and I both got the i Phone 8 when they came out, but he traded soon thereafter for the original SE-wanted the smaller size. Last Dec he traded again for the 11 Pro, thinking updates weren't going to continue being available for the SE. Then shortly thereafter the new SE came out and he offered to give me his 11 Pro, so he could get the new SE. I declined. I'm still content with my 8 and am not sure I want the bigger size. I like being able to carry my phone in my jeans/pants pocket. He has grown to like it, despite the size, especially the face recognition, wonderful camera and loves the wireless charging which he has in his car. So my vote is an i Phone, but in all fairness, I have to say I'm not familiar with the competition.

• Funkyart
    3 years ago

I have had only apple mobile devices since the first ipad was released-- i stick with them for the reasons 4Kats shared above.. most especially Apple vets/approves all software and extensions which not only makes for more reliable apps-- but it protects my devices from malicious apps or apps with vulnerabilities that open the door to malicious attacks. Anyone can upload an android app!

I have never had an issue with group chats with non-apple users. My bff and 2 of my siblings are on non-apple products and at least 1/2 my work team members are not. I have received texts, photos and videos without an issue.. I don't often facetime-- but isn't that an apple product?

• maire_cate
    3 years ago

I'm the only Apple user in the family - two kids have Google phones, one has a Samsung and DH ditched his smart phone the day he retired and went back to a flip phone. I haven't had any trouble group messaging ( DH detests texts messages so we don't include him).

I'd always been Android and satisfied with it - then I won an iPad and loved it. When the time came for a new laptop DH bought me a MacBook Pro and when my phone died I opted for an iPhone. I'm not necessarily tech savvy so I appreciate the seamless integration among all my devices. In 8 years I've never had a glitch or virus. Originally I resisted going the Apple route, I considered them a cult, well I guess I still do but now I'm part of it.

• terezosa / terriks
    3 years ago

I have never had trouble with group texts with my "mixed" family of iPhone and Android users.

• User
    3 years ago

I was an iPhone user for years and switched to a Pixel 3 last year. the amazing camera and affordable price tag are what prompted me to switch. if you care about the way a user interface is designed, it's not too bad. but it does have a head spinning amount of settings compared to the iphone, so if you need simple, iphone is definitely better.

unfortunately, I do think my pixel falls short -- for a long list of tiny reasons. when it's time for an upgrade, I'll probably switch back. one of the things that bugs me the most is that there are so many apps that don't work as well. most app developers seem to design for apple first, so it seems to get the most priority and attention. the differences and flaws are not huge, but I notice and I don't like it.

• Bluebell66
    3 years ago

ILoveMod, can you give an example of an app that doesn’t work well on your Pixel? I haven’t had that issue at all, so now I’m curious.

I also haven't had any issue with texts, unlike a couple of people here. My siblings (and their spouses) mostly have Apple products - 3 of us have Androids - and we haven’t had any problems with group texts.

• runninginplace
    3 years ago

I am a very happy Apple customer for all the reasons listed above. I love how Apple has truly created a product that is seamless for a non-technical person to set up and use. In my working life I was always tethered to Microsoft/Windows devices and software and had many infuriating moments with problems, malware, system issues etc.

Philosophically it has always seemed to me absolutely ridiculous that as a customer I should be expected to act as a computer programmer/systems analyst to fix problems with my device. I've endured far too many of those phone torture sessions with a tech support guy trying desperately to fix something I don't even understand-give me Apple any day!

I buy older models once the new one comes out to save some money. Right now I've got a Macbook I got in 2015, an iPhone 8 plus, an iPad that's also a few years old and my Apple watch model 3 as well as Apple wireless air pods. My husband uses my old iPhone 6 I believe, just to have a phone available when we are not together.

Having everything work together seamlessly with a simple, fuss free interface is such a blessing.

• Tina Marie
    3 years ago

I always hear the comment about the virus thing (and remember I have an Iphone), but I can't honestly say that I have ever heard anyone say their phone had a virus.

Another who does not have trouble with group texts and mixture of iphone/android.

• lyfia
    3 years ago

I had to switch last year due to a medical device I use was not supported by the Samsung I really wanted at the time. I got an iPhone XR. It is fairly easy to use in some ways, but also there are lots of tricks that are not intuitive when you come from an android. It takes a little time to get used to. I came from a Samsung so I would say camera and other features are comparable between an iphone and a Samsung. The good part about either although iphone might be more is that there are plenty of youtube videos showing how to use the various features and to learn how to use the different swipes etc.

I ended up with the iphone over another android device partly due to compatibility with my medical device, but also because I could get it and an apple watch which is compatible with my medical device for less than the phone I originally wanted as well. The watch for me is really worth it and is very useful and I used it when traveling to call for a ride when we went somewhere where phones were not allowed (taping of a TV show) and it displays the info I need from my medical app so I don't have to pull the phone out, shows and allows me to respond to texts and other messaging apps etc.

The things that I still wish my iphone/watch did is allow me to set a quiet time over night so that my apple watch doesn't provide notifications. My samsung had this.

The other thing is I wish the widgets would show on the lock screen like my Samsung did.

These are minor and I can deal without them. We are a mixed household and have no issues sharing things, but I do have to say if all of us had iphones sharing would be much simplified and made super easy compared to when we were an all android household.

The iphone and the cloud is also a feature that I like a lot better than the google account cloud. It works much better overall and especially once when my phone reset itself while we were at a waterpark. I needed it with me at all times for my medical device. It restored itself with no issues and like I'd never had it reset itself when it came back. Definitely never had that same perfect experience with my Samsung phones.

Also to note iPhone 12 is the first iPhone with 5G support. The other mentioned above iphone 6 were for 4G support. 5G networks are currently being rolled out so no need for older phones to even having had to support that. It is one feature I would make sure is supported in a newer phone though.

Oh one more plus with my iPhone - it's battery life is so much better than my Samsung and my husband's current S10.

• nini804
    3 years ago

Lydia, doesn’t the “Do Not Disturb” work for your watch as well as your phone? I don’t sleep with my watch on, but I’m pretty sure it goes into DND when my phone does.

• pamghatten
    3 years ago

I have a Samsung Galaxy S10e and I use Consumer Cellular, I've never experienced any problems with Consumer Cellular in my area. I don't own any Apple products, so Android was the choice for me.

• lyfia
    3 years ago

nini - yes, but I can't use the DND feature as I need the medical alarms and right now it doesn't let me select what I want and don't want.

• User
    3 years ago

Bluebell66 regarding apps that don't work as well: there are so many! most of my complaints are small and petty, but there are so many that they all add up to one big irritation. a few examples:

third party apps:

1. amazon cloudcam occasionally fails to notice we are home. so the camera pings us with "motion detected". (it happened with iphone but way less often.)

2. ring app: when somebody rings the doorbell and I try to answer, I have to unlock my phone first and then it takes forever to connect. on the iphone, it was faster and just one step to answer.

3. fitbit: it's just glitchy. I have to manually hit "refresh" about 3-4 times before it syncs my data properly. (iphone does it automatically.)

android specific apps:

1. when I get a text, it only pings once so I often miss messages. (the iphone will ping you every three minutes, or you can turn that off.)

2. "tasks" is lumped in with the calendar. so if you set a bunch of little task reminders, they junk up the calendar page instead of being in their own app. also, when you mark them as complete, you also have to manually delete them one at a time.

3. the worst one of all: I spent HOURS migrating and organizing my music from apple to google. now they're going to kill the music app and I have to migrate to "youtube music". it's meant for you to stream your own music files from the cloud (using your data plan). if you want to download your files locally for offline listening (like in airplane mode), you have to pay for a subscription. WTF google? this is regarding music I already own.

I could go on and on. but these are a few examples.

• Bluebell66
    3 years ago

Thanks, ILoveMod for taking the time to list some of your Pixel/Android issues. I agree with you on the music thing. How aggravating. I have had similar glitchy problems with Ring, but I have the same problems with Ring on my iPad. I think you can change your settings so you are notified multiple times of texts...I believe I changed it in the opposite way last year. The other things I'm going to look into, just because it helps me learn. I have been really digging into figuring out my pixel lately, even though I've had it for almost 2 years now, because I know it will do so much more than how I'm using it. One thing that is driving me crazy is that I can't get my Yahoo email app to do anything more than vibrate when I receive a new email message. I've even gone in and made the change to stop vibrating when a new email comes in but it still does so. Anyway, thanks again.

• mariagrazia
    3 years ago

Whatever you decide to buy get an Otterbox for it. When I first got my IPhone it was very slippery, thin, and hard to hold on to compared to my last phone. The Otterbox makes it easier to hold because of the rubbery edge and has saved it many times when I have dropped it.

• User
    3 years ago

Bluebell66 unfortunately, the Pixel will only ping you once when you get a text, there is no setting to change that. users have been complaining about it for years.

certainly the iPhone is not perfect either (itunes has been a glitchy beast for many years), but it's the devil I know, LOL.

• carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
    3 years ago

Just FYI, my Android Google/Chrome apps sync across all platforms, along with a few others I have like Overdrive and Hoopla. I have a mix of Apple and Android.

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH