Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
stack176

Different style shaker doors in the same kitchen?

Ash Y
3 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

I've made a few posts on my kitchen design dilemmas, hope I'm not annoying anyone. :)

I just ran across this blog post on the "Riverside Retreat Kitchen Reveal" and have fallen head over heels in love.

I'm considering copying this exactly - the uppers are IKEA Axstad in white, and the lowers are custom painted. I would get the lowers from SemiHandmade or maybe Scherr's? I'm doing my best to save money while still getting something that looks beautiful, which is why I'm looking for budget saving options.

The only issue is that the Axstad doors have a double bevel (I think that's the right term?), and the lowers would just be regular shaker style. Now, that doesn't bother me, but I'm going to sell my place eventually down the line, and I'd like to know if it bothers you? Does looking at these pictures make your eye twitch due to the slightly different styles? All opinions welcome.

Comments (12)

• PRO
    The Kitchen Place
    3 years ago

Doesn't bother me! I love that kitchen too. I've done several kitchens like this before...but I always ask the client, "Are you at all OCD?" Maybe that's not appropriate, but I've learned my lesson on a few things in my 40 years of designing kitchens. OCD people don't like flush or beaded inset typically unless they can afford something higher end, like Plain & Fancy. OCD people don't like two toned kitchens. They like things to match. (maybe a contrasting island, but not different uppers/lowers). OCD people tend to like symmetry. Also with painted cabinets, if someone is OCD, it's best to go with the cabinet line that has the most perfect finish. I once had a client get out their magnifying glass! I paid a cabinet refinisher to come out and touch up about 80 teeny paint imperfections that were naked to the eye. I shouldn't have agreed, but sometimes you gotta make the customer happy and move on.....and learn from it.

If you love this kitchen, do it!

• User
    3 years ago

It would bother me far more to have bad thermofoil doors that were peeling than different profiles.

• PRO
    Altair
    3 years ago

I've really fallen in love with this shade of green as of late.. its so peaceful.

• Ash Y
    Original Author
    3 years ago

My kitchen is very small and I don’t live in a palace so I don’t really give a toss if they’re thermofoil or not.

• wiscokid
    3 years ago

I couldn’t handle the not matching profiles personally. Or that the sheens/textures of the doors were different. (You can’t tell in the photo, but they are.)

• Ash Y
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Hmm are they? The Axstad is matte white. Is the green a satin? Whatever I ended up doing I would definitely have the same finish. Though the white is so bright I feel like it almost wouldn't matter that much?

• Christina
    3 years ago

It would bother me if it were my kitchen honestly but I'm very critical of my own clothes and house, whereas if it's someone else's I don't mind it and can think it looks nice but I am very particular and don't think it would bother most people. If I had to mix and match I would do slab doors on the top so it blends in more and more purposely mix matched.

• User
    3 years ago

You WILL care when it peels. Or yellows. As has been experienced in the past. You can get better, elsewhere. Which is a smarter use of money. I did a 20’x 10’ Kitchen for only 8K in Woodstar. Including a 9” shallow pantry, cut for glass cabinets, and drawers everywhere. A much better value.

• Ig222
    3 years ago

This is a beautiful kitchen you posted. I am considering the same thing, refacing my lowers with painted Barker doors and using Ikea cabinets for the uppers. I cant afford a 6 figure kitchen and I like what I see.

Ignore the nay-sayers. Those are always the same people and they are really annoying and usually unhelpful.

As whether this would bother you. some people will be bothered, but it really depends on whether it bothers YOU. You are the one who will bein the kitchen.

Good luck.

• ptreckel
    3 years ago

No. I wouldn’t like two different styles of cabinets, regardless of their manufacturer. If I found them in a home that I decided to buy, I would change them so they were alike. But do what you wish.

• Connie Stackhouse
    3 years ago

Two different doors would bother me if they were all finished the same. What you are doing is two completely different colors. That looks completely intentional. I would say go for it!