Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jeri

Kohler Expanse vs Kohler Underscore Tubs

jeri
3 years ago

I “thought” the decision for a new tub was going to be the Kohler Expanse but after the recent tub thread, I’m now looking at the Kohler Underscore.

My 5’8” daughter loves to soak in a tub. This will be for a J&J bathroom and will be an alcove tub/shower combo.

One concern I have for the Expanse is not being able to put in a glass surround should one decide to do so in the future. My daughter wants to use a curtain now, but who knows what the future will bring?

Thoughts?

Comments (6)

• Nidhi Pareek
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

We just finished remodeling kids bathroom with Kohler undersore. Love the clean Iines and design of Kohler Underscore.We even put shower door over it. My daughter loves to take bath in it .

jeri thanked Nidhi Pareek
  • AJCN
    3 years ago

We have the underscore drop-in, not alcove. The lumbar support is great and the angle of the back is very comfortable.

I’m assuming this is an alcove tub/shower combo, is that right? If so, even though I love the underscore, the angle and lumbar support might make it a little tricky to step into, especially if you put glass. You need to be able to safely step onto the flat part of the tub. But with a shower curtain it’ll be more doable. From what I’ve seen, usually alcove tub/shower combos use tubs that don’t have much of an angle or lumbar “bump” to them.

Is there a plumbing showroom you can go to in order to see some tubs? IME the showrooms, such as Fergusons, only have a few tubs at a time, but my local one had an underscore, different size, but it was useful to try it out.

jeri thanked AJCN
  • jeri
    Original Author
    3 years ago

First, Thank you both for responding! :-)

This is an alcove, but you bring up yet another thing to contemplate! The angle of the lumbar support… The Underscore has an angle of 15 degrees, and the Expanse has an angle of 25. I have no idea which is better!

In our bathroom, the lumbar support will be opposite of the main tub entry, so I don’t see it as a problem, but I do appreciate the heads up.

I originally was drawn to the Expanse for the great reviews I found online - most of the “best tubs for 2020” type articles all mention it. But I also liked the shape as one of my daughter’s complaints was how claustrophobic she feels when bathing or showering. I think a curved curtain rod will help this, but the curved tub seemed to be a good idea too. Now I worry the curve will be a problem as it will take up a bit more space and not allow for shower doors should one want to install them.

So many decisions and this is just a bathroom!

• smcf03
    3 years ago

I'm considering the Underscore as an alcove tub. Have you made a decision?

• carmardel
    3 years ago

I just ordered the Kohler Underscore 60x32 alcove tub. It has a 15.5 inch depth. I liked the clean lines a bit better than the look of the Bancroft, despite it having a nicer lumbar slope.