Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
anitabfranklin

Wall Color with orange tile floors

Anita Franklin
3 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

The walls in our new home are a cream color that is fine but I wonder if I would like white more. There's a ton of natural light that fills the room and the walls look a little dingy to me. The red/orange floors are nice but it's a struggle to find wall colors that look good. Can anyone recommend a white to lighten and brighten this space or perhaps suggest another color? I plan to use royal blue and white curtains and accents. Thanks.

Comments (21)

• njmomma
    3 years ago

Not a Pro.

Try an area rug first, that incorporates both the white and cream.

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    3 years ago

I would do white instead of the off white but I also would choose some rugs quite large to give some relief from all the orange. BTW IMO that uphostery does not suit the style of chair at all and neither does the lamp on the little table.

• Marylee H
    3 years ago

• Anita Franklin
    Original Author
    3 years ago

The picture is from the listing and the furniture belongs to the sellers so we have a clean slate for our own taste. Unfortunately I have two poodles who mistake any floor coverings for grass so rugs, even washable ones are not in the cards for us for awhile. I agree that white walls would help but I just don't know which white.

• Marylee H
    3 years ago

• anne_estes027
    3 years ago

Swiss Coffee is a very nice white that will work with the tiles.

• Tara
    3 years ago

Just a funny thought that popped into my head - not advise.....who comes up with the names of the paint colors? Why would "swiss coffee" be a white? I would think it would be tan - ish because of the "coffee" word. (if I had not seen the actual color of it that is).

• Marylee H
    3 years ago

• anne_estes027
    3 years ago

I guess it depends on the light and its surroundings. It reads white where I've had it. Just not bright white, it's warmer than that.

• Barbara Law
    3 years ago

Paint dark blue. Opposite of orange on color wheel.

• tfitz1006
    3 years ago

We had this in a house at one time and used Navajo White on the walls (and we were able to use some rugs to tone it down a little).

• Marylee H
    3 years ago

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

Stick w/the white walls, or, go to a nice blue or gray.

These are all colors that go w/Terra Cotta. (search a color palette for yourself)

Black, white, creams, textures and wood play beautifully w/terra cotta tiles. don't forget the green plants.

if you do a soft blue gray, then bring in neutral color furniture

leather colors work great w/terra cotta

The tiles are a strong element. the furniture and wall color should stay rather neutral.

Camel leather, blacks, creams, turquoise accents, patina green, all look great w/these color

bring in plants, textures, woven articles and wood.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    3 years ago

What furnishings and what colors do you enjoy. Without rugs to moderate the floor color, you probably need to consider a good complimentary color such as a navy blue in some of your main pieces. Here is an offwhite color chart. Give me a min. Trouble posting!

• ljptwt7
    3 years ago

Just to show you how orange looks with light blue - Benjamin Moore Beacon Gray.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    3 years ago

This chart shows 17 off whites. The lower right shows the clearest whites. As you move up on the color wheel, note the colors beside the name. You will have some of those tones in these whites.

• ljptwt7
    3 years ago

It can look blue or gray depending on light. A lot of light it looks more blue.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    3 years ago

Here is photo of a home I did last year with similar tile and a wonderful client who embraced color. Her entry and on into her great room. We did an accent wall in BM Van Deusen Blue and left her other light wall color with it. Super budget friendly project and she loves it.

• calidesign
    3 years ago

White walls can work well with your tiles, and is a nice, fresh backdrop to your blue and orange furnishings. Look at photos with Saltillo tiles which are similar to yours in color.

Lakeside Villa · More Info

• Anne Duke
    3 years ago

FWIW, windows, especially low-e windows, will change the color perception. I found out the hard way.

• RedRyder
    3 years ago

Bring home the “white“ brochures from both Benjamin Moore and Sherwin-Williams. That will make it easier to see the undertones of the different white paints. It also allows you to pick a white paint in the light of the actual rooms you are going to paint.