• Patrick Murphy
    Original Author
    3 years ago

• Patrick Murphy
    Original Author
    3 years ago

• Sammie J
    3 years ago

Yes Yes Yes!!!! At the very least, you need to: 1) add plants of varying heights, textures, colors on the right front and left side of the home - meandering the edges of the beds so they are not so straight (I've posted an image below to show you what I mean); 2) replace the plants in front of the porch with a groundcover; and 3) paint the slats on your porch the color of the trim. If you post your budget and what zone you are in, you will get other ideas.

• apple_pie_order
    3 years ago

Since your other post says you don't want to put much more money into the house, plan to remove things rather than add them. Remove all yard and porch decor smaller than a half whiskey barrel. Remove the old shrubs. For staging and photos in the spring, clean everything off the porch, then add two kneehigh pots of colorful blooming flowers. If you can afford only some brown bark mulch, add that along the foundation. If budget is bigger, plant twenty or thirty gallon-size blooming flowers. If you have very nice porch furniture, use two chairs and a table with a pot of flowers. If porch furniture needs clean up and paint, you could do that now or in the spring. If your big star needs new paint, do it now or in the spring, or just take it down to pack with you for your next house.

In some areas, fertilizer applied to the yard grass in fall gives a good start for spring growth. In other areas, it's a waste of money to apply in fall. Check at your local garden center to see if fertilizer is usually applied in fall, spring, or both.

• homechef59
    3 years ago

Thanks for the additional pictures. Yes, you still need to a do a freshening up of the landscape beds, remove all the stuff from the porch and yard and you need to paint the front gate boards a uniform color.

• Patrick Murphy
    Original Author
    3 years ago

I'm in zone 6

• maifleur03
    3 years ago

Zone only takes care of the average winter low temperature. It does not tell anything other than that about your growing conditions. Small things like does your cold weather last from September to April or is it shorter. Since you mentioned you wish to sell in the Spring but is that early spring when the bulbs are blooming or later when summer plants are available. First clean up and remove what is not needed then start looking in the area for things that make other places attractive.

For those that are not aware a look at a zone map will show that most zones stretch across the US and include all kinds of things including deserts and bogs. What you can grow in Ohio you may not be able to grow in northern New Mexico.