Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
loribee2

Can I save seeds from a pepper that was in the refrigerator?

loribee2
3 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

Hi all, quick question for the seed saver veterans: Can I save seeds from a sweet pepper that was in the refrigerator for a week at about 37 degrees?

I'm a long time gardener, but I don't have much experience seed saving. I know people often refrigerate seeds to store after they've been dried. But the ones I want to save are from a pepper I'd stored in the refrigerator and only now cut open to eat.

When I took the pepper out of the fridge to make a salad today, I marveled that it's absolutely the best sweet pepper I've ever had (Lesya from Baker Creek). The original seeds were so difficult to start, I only got one plant, and even that plant only gave me a handful of peppers. I wasn't going to grow them next year, but now that I'm a fan, I'm thinking I might have better luck if I store my own seeds from the best peppers off the plant that did grow. I'm just not sure if refrigerating the pepper ruined the seeds.

I do have one other large pepper on the plant. It hasn't fully ripened and I'm crossing my fingers it will before we lose our summer heat. I was going to save these just in case.

Comments (8)

• beesneeds
    3 years ago

You can sure try. The fridge chill isn't cold enough to kill the seed. So long as the seed was mature enough, you should be OK to collect the seed.

Might be a good idea for you to do a germination test too right off the bat. That will let you know if the seed you have sitting and drying is worth keeping or not.

loribee2 thanked beesneeds
  • loribee2
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thank you. Now, that's interesting. I'm assuming a germination test would be to put a few seeds in moist paper towels and see if they germinate? And would I wait until they'd dried?

• loribee2
    Original Author
    3 years ago

What a great suggestion, thank you!

• rdback
    3 years ago

As long as the pepper didn't freeze, the cool temps didn't damage the seeds. Was the pepper ripe? In Lesya's case, that's a dark red color. If not, the viability of the seed may be questionable.

You could wait to germ test until next Spring. If the germination is successful, just transfer to a potting mix and your plants for next year are off and running.

Lastly, one of the biggest complaints about Lesya is it's poor productivity. One person said they grew Lipstick as well, and it was just as tasty as Lesya and very prolific. Just another option for ya.

loribee2 thanked rdback
  • loribee2
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Oh thank you for the insights and suggestions. Yes, this pepper had gotten to the fully red stage. My husband picked the first nice big one when it was green by mistake. I think we got 2 others which were cooked into dishes with Ajvarskis and Cubanelles, so I don't think I noticed it that much. This was the first on the plant that not only fully ripened, but I cut and tasted on it's own and discovered how amazing it really is. I've grown lipstick--they are definitely more prolific--but much smaller and I don't think the flavor was in the ballpark with this Lesya. All in all, the one Lesya plant I was able to get going probably have produced about 6 peppers, which is about the same as I get from traditional bells such as Ace and Nikita. I plan to try harder next year, start them earlier, and see if by using seeds from my own plant, I can do even better. They're fussy, but IMO definitely worth the trouble!

• HU-352499387
    3 years ago

The best stockpiling temperature is somewhere in the range of 32 and 41 degrees Fahrenheit, so you would prefer not to freeze the seeds. A cool, dull and dry area works best. You can keep the container in the cooler on the off chance that you don't have a reasonably cool stockpiling place.

• HighColdDesert
    3 years ago

I've read that peppers do cross pollinate so if you had other peppers growing nearby, including hot peppers, your seeds may be a cross, not just Lesya.

loribee2 thanked HighColdDesert