Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
betty_abraham

What color drapes and pillows?

Betty A
10 years ago
I am color challenged and need help with selecting window treatment for this large living room window and pillows for sofa. A decorator suggested tall two tone grey drape with creme and grey bird print on top and plain on bottom. I am afraid to make an expensive mistake. We are casual types ... any other decorating ideas are welcome. This room is to the left when you walk in the front door. The last pic shows what you see when walking in ... our newly remodeled kitchen. Walls are a buttery yellow. Thank you very much!

Comments (18)

• PRO
    Sustainable Dwellings
    10 years ago
    Say no to the drapes here... try a scarf over an iron rod set just over the doors. The shelf in the corner needs another home.
  • Betty A
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Agreed about the shelf. Thank you.
  • Betty A
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Color suggestions????
  • Carolina
    10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago
    Lovely shaped window. Drapes for the bottom part only I hope?

What colour are the Roman blinds in the kitchen? Would it be an idea to go for a fabric that matches them and line the drapes with the fabric of the Roman blinds? (No, not 'line', but a border along the bottom or along the long side, where the fabric touches. That's what I mean ;-))

Or a graphic pattern. I'll see if I can find some inspirational pics for you.
  • Nancy Travisinteriors
    10 years ago
    Do the floor to ceiling look. Color block can work. But no birds. No no no.
  • Carolina
    10 years ago
    It's quite difficult to see what colours the chair and the carpet are. But I'm guessing charcoal and silver grey. Which is why I'm thinking something with a grey pattern. Do you think that would work?
    Scribble Window Panel, Feather Gray · More Info

Teramo Curtain Panels · More Info
  • Nancy Travisinteriors
    10 years ago
    Take the color you used in kitchen. Take them up to arch window but do not cover arch. Use the balls instead of rod. The drape is slightly draped on to each ball. Do a light weight woven fabric. Get a couple of bids, don't go with designer. Pillows I would go black, gray and a teal in print or a black n white chevron print. Mix it up. A light gray fur throw on corner of sofa.
  • Betty A
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    The roman shades in kitchen are black and tan. The living room ceiling is vaulted high so the floor to ceiling look is appealing to me. I was skeptical about the bird print ... too whimsical for my taste. The decorator wanted to add a thin black trim to separate fabrics and bring in black ... see fabric photo. I could not pull the trigger.
  • Nancy Travisinteriors
    10 years ago
    Move table or chair closer together. Lose ladder. Add big potted palm in corner. Panels are called half panels, just a frame for windows. Not going to close them.
  • Nancy Travisinteriors
    10 years ago
    Try moving that chest to end of sofa where lader is. Put against wall don't angle. Put a bigger end table dark wood on other side, put drum lamp on it. Put floor lamp behind chair. Add a accent chair to pl where chest was, pull into a room. Make it a print fabric, use a turquoise or teal in print. You need color. Chair about the size of other be. No ottoman.
  • Nancy Travisinteriors
    10 years ago
    Get a round 24" coffee table in glass.
  • Betty A
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Chair is black with pattern. The view from upstairs makes room look bare. The ladder will definitely go. Thank you very much for the good suggestions.
  • Nancy Travisinteriors
    10 years ago
    Like fabric. But like I said get your own bid. Designer add their fee plus get money from vendor making them. So cheaper if you do on own. I would only do the lite gray fabric no print. It looks like the right weight.
  • shelleyuk
    10 years ago
    Are you overlooked? The window is lovely, don't cover it with curtains. If you want curtain I agree with those saying curtains on the bottom section only, with a wide pole so that they can be pulled right back during the day to show off the window itself.
  • Betty A
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Thank you Jmittman that is very helpful. I really like the pics you chose.
  • PRO
    Susan Berry Design, Inc.
    10 years ago
    I agree with Jmittman. I like her first photo with one high rod across the top and long lined drapes in an elegant solid color fabric. If you want to add a decorative touch, add trim on the leading edge. I don't like to break up a window wall with the rod in the middle between the upper and lower windows. We sometimes do this in model homes to cut the cost on fabric and highlight the upper window. In a personal home, I like the ability to block out all of the sunlight or cold air whenever you want to. The bird fabric is quirky and trendy. Keep the drapery fabric simple and elegant. The drapes will last much longer. Trendy and fun fabrics belong on pillows and chairs, where you can easily change them with the season.
  • PRO
    JMittman Designs
    10 years ago
    You are very welcome Betty. Good luck with your project. Would love to see a finished pic!
    ~Janet