Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
marilyn_sue

Have You Frozen Eggs?

Have any of you frozen eggs? I plan to as my daughter's hens keep laying away and they are piling up on me! I mostly want to freeze the whites and yolks together and in the future make noodles with them. I plan to add salt to them and freeze in measured amounts. How do you do it?

Sue

Comments (28)

• foodonastump
    3 years ago

Whaaaat?!?!

the cost of an egg freezing cycle is between $15,000 to $20,000, and don't forget to take into account the cost of eggs storage

OH! I get it. Need to refine my google search. (And have some coffee.)

Marilyn Sue McClintock thanked foodonastump
  • sal 60 Hanzlik
    3 years ago

never have, Eggs are so cheap I don't think it's necessary.

Marilyn Sue McClintock thanked sal 60 Hanzlik
  • aok27502
    3 years ago

I've never tried it, but what about putting them in ice cube trays?

Marilyn Sue McClintock thanked aok27502
  • sleevendog (5a NY 6aNYC NL CA)
    3 years ago

foas, 😂

Yes, they freeze fine. I have a silicone ice cube tray that has cells that are about twice the volume of the norm. Scramble and freeze in one egg portions. When thawed it is said to use within 24 hours. Or separate the whites from the yolks. Freeze in portions how they may be used once thawed. (add a pinch of salt to the yolks). Whites keep up to a year and yolks and scrambled are said to be best used within 4 months.

Obviously a regular ice cube tray works fine. Zip-lock once frozen.

M_Sue has an excess of eggs. They can be used for holiday baking. Quiche and frittatas freeze well. Heats up easily straight from frozen in a low oven, covered.

I froze eggs for the first time during the initial lock-down. Could not get any eggs at first, then stocked up when available. No supply issue now but good to know they freeze fine.

Marilyn Sue McClintock thanked sleevendog (5a NY 6aNYC NL CA)
  • lucillle
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

If you freeze the egg without scrambling the white and yolk together, the yolk will get a gluey consistency that is retained even after defrosting. I have scrambled eggs and added a little water and frozen them in quart jars and they have been fine for baking. As Sal points out right now eggs are plentiful and cheap so I need my precious small freezer space for other things so don't freeze them. I do have a can of dried eggs.

I don't recall the measurements any more, but I counted how many large eggs in a cup. Quart jars hold 4 cups so I could reasonably measure the amount of eggs I needed by using a cup measure.

Marilyn Sue McClintock thanked lucillle
  • sweet_betsy No AL Z7
    3 years ago

Yes, I have. After cracking in a bowl, I whisk them and pour into ice cube trays. After they freeze, I pop them out and put them in a bag in the freezer. They are good for scrambled eggs or using in recipes when thawed. Since salt makes ice melt, I don't think I would put that in.

Marilyn Sue McClintock thanked sweet_betsy No AL Z7
  • sleevendog (5a NY 6aNYC NL CA)
    3 years ago

The pinch of salt was from an egg council person. Something about longer preservation in the freezer similar to salted butter has a longer shelf life over un-salted, even when frozen.

Marilyn Sue McClintock thanked sleevendog (5a NY 6aNYC NL CA)
  • floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
    3 years ago

Have you thought of pickling some of the excess?

Marilyn Sue McClintock thanked floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
  • Marilyn Sue McClintock
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Yes, I have thought about pickling some of the eggs. I would be the only one to eat them though. I would not be freezing them if I had to buy them. I did freeze 2 1/2 dozen this morning. Whisked up five eggs in a cup and about a teaspoon of salt. These are not large eggs. Each cup of eggs was put into a sandwich bag and then the sandwich bag was put into a freezer bag. These will be for noodles or rivels. I will probably do some single eggs as I find the time. If I want to do some for cakes and such I will put sugar in them.

Sue

• Elmer J Fudd
    3 years ago

Why not share them with friends and neighbors? That's what people tend to do with fruit from trees that mature all at once, producing quantities too large for the owner to consume. They're just eggs, even cheaper to buy than fruit.

Marilyn Sue McClintock thanked Elmer J Fudd
  • bcskye
    3 years ago

There's almost two dozen duck eggs in my freezer. They are too big for ice cube trays so I got some very small Ziplock freezer containers, whip each egg, pour into a container, freeze, pop them out into a freezer bag and back in the freezer. I add nothing to them for freezing. There is only me so when you're in lockdown and you have six chicken hens and four duck hens, you get more eggs than you need. Glad I did because the hens are molting and everyone has slowed or stopped laying. Also, when I was working, I would cook up a big batch of scrambled eggs and freeze them in meal sized potions. Between those and my frozen made ahead breakfast burritos, I had a decent breakfast by just nuking for a few minutes each morning.

Madonna

Marilyn Sue McClintock thanked bcskye
  • patriciae_gw
    3 years ago

I froze eggs for years. I usually separated them and froze in ice cube trays and then bagged them up. I never had trouble with gluey yokes but mine were mostly duck eggs and they are slightly higher fat. I used them for everything including lots of pasta. Sometimes I just made and dried tons of pasta. I did always freeze some. Duck eggs keep much longer than chicken because the shell is thicker and more impervious so I didnt have to freeze them all. For me a trip to the store for eggs was about an hour each way. Not cheap. And if you are used to free range eggs, the real thing, the taste is so much better.

Marilyn Sue McClintock thanked patriciae_gw
  • seagrass_gw Cape Cod
    3 years ago

^^ That's not funny.

Marilyn Sue McClintock thanked seagrass_gw Cape Cod
  • User
    3 years ago

A neighbor had chickens, including a rooster. On occasion the chickens would get out. 6-8 white hens, 1 red rooster. My dog would chase them.

The rooster did not last long, maybe because of crowing.

When I told the neighbor, my dog chased his chickens, acknowledged having chickens, against code. A few days later the neighbor said they had too many eggs and would have to freeze them. th

Marilyn Sue McClintock thanked User
  • morz8 - Washington Coast
    3 years ago

We get fresh eggs from a friend with a flock of 'pet girls'. I will buy a dozen 'store eggs' occasionally for breading clams or some other such recipe, not wanting to use nicer eggs for that ;0) Free range chickens who browse and forage, have a varied diet....big difference in the color and texture of the eggs.

The few times those chickens have been laying enthusiastically and we've had too many at once, I hadn't thought of freezing any. I'll cook in the shell and DH will have a cold boiled egg for a happy snack, or he'll make egg salad and enjoy that for lunch. I may try freezing, see how that works for me ;0)

Marilyn Sue McClintock thanked morz8 - Washington Coast
  • Elmer J Fudd
    3 years ago

Haha, jim mat.

Marilyn Sue McClintock thanked Elmer J Fudd
  • annie1992
    3 years ago

I freeze eggs in the summer and fall, to use in the winter when the hens aren't laying so regularly.

I beat them with a pinch of salt, and freeze them in muffin tins. Each "puck" is about 2 large eggs. I use them in Christmas baking, for scrambled eggs, french toast or quiche.

They don't freeze well if you don't beat the white and yolks together. Well egg whites freeze OK, but the yolks will get thick and gelatinous when frozen.

Annie

Marilyn Sue McClintock thanked annie1992
  • Judy Good
    3 years ago

Love my farm fresh chicken eggs, so much better. What a difference in taste and size. Never froze them, but I may try now.

Marilyn Sue McClintock thanked Judy Good
  • Marilyn Sue McClintock
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Yes, so much better than any eggs you can buy in the store, the color of the yolks is so much richer. Every other place around here has their own chickens it seems.

Sue

• User
    3 years ago

We were fortunate to get eggs from a co-worker in our old US town, but I'm struggling to find a source in our new place. The farmer's market is fine, but "free from a friend" beats that any day. I don't want my own chickens, though! haha

Marilyn Sue McClintock thanked User
  • Louiseab
    3 years ago

Eggs aren’t that cheap here. I just picked up a dozen omega 3 eggs that were $6.29.

Marilyn Sue McClintock thanked Louiseab
  • LoneJack Zn 6a, KC
    3 years ago

I've never tried to freeze eggs. We used to have a small flock of laying hens and either gave away the excess to friends or I sold them at work.

Farm fresh eggs that haven't had the bloom washed off can be stored at room temperature for 2-3 weeks. The bloom seals the shell from bacteria entry and allows them to last about as long as it takes to hatch a chick.

Marilyn Sue McClintock thanked LoneJack Zn 6a, KC
  • LoneJack Zn 6a, KC
    3 years ago

Elmer - I don't need friends at work. They are co-workers, period. I have plenty of friends outside of work and they got the eggs free or in trade.

I paid a good deal of money housing and feeding the hens and you think I should have just given away the eggs for free to make 'friends'? You don't think I should be able to charge a few bucks a dozen to cover part of my costs? Really? Nobody was forced to buy the eggs but I had a list of co-workers that were always excited when it was their turn to buy some.

By the way, I give away plenty of excess produce from my garden at work. Or at least I did prior to Covid-19.

Go away!

• Jasdip
    3 years ago

I used to make coconut cream pie which uses yolks only, so I froze the whites to make an Angel food cake at some point. It worked great.

Marilyn Sue McClintock thanked Jasdip
  • LoneJack Zn 6a, KC
    3 years ago

So I can have friends at work if I 'buy them' with free eggs? Who knew!

Marylyn_sue - I'm sorry Elmer ran your OP off topic.

• ahbee01
    3 years ago

you can water glass them also search on you tube you use hydrated lime and water put the eggs in with out washing. they will keep for a year. I don't know the lime to water ratio off hand bitbit looks interesting.
    https://youtu.be/o-xJjiVPC-M

Marilyn Sue McClintock thanked ahbee01
  • share_oh
    3 years ago

My parents have a small flock of chickens and my mom sells the eggs to her friends. They love buying them from her because her price is good and they know that her chickens are her "girls" and are very well treated and no added hormones. It does cost money to have chickens so charging a fair price is not wrong in my book!

That said, I've never heard of freezing eggs before - thank you all for the education!