Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
stacey_schneider

Paint the door black or no?

Stacey Schneider
3 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

I‘m thinking to paint this door black. The door/trim is unfinished. The walls are SW Natural Tan and the finished Trim in the house is a match to SW Nacre.

Should I paint it black or match the nacre trim?

Comments (22)

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    3 years ago

ah, if only we had a picture........

• Stacey Schneider
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Took 3 tries for it to finally load.

• JJ
    3 years ago

Hmmm. So is this a back door like to a patio or something?

I might do the front door. I kind of like black interior doors in some circumstances. But a random exit door? Probably not.

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    3 years ago

there is nothing else black, is there? I think if you had some black trim nearby, it would be ok.

instead of black, what if you did a medium gray. like the same gray that's in that rug?

wrought iron would be the darkest I'd go. but the Chelsea or Galveston might work.

or the blue

Stacey Schneider thanked Beth H. :
  • Stacey Schneider
    Original Author
    3 years ago

The door is in the middle of the main floor, and leads out to the back deck. Sight line is straight from the front door to this one. I planned on doing the front door, I just wasn’t sure about this one.

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    3 years ago

Anonymous. there you go. paint it that color.

Stacey Schneider thanked Beth H. :
  • Stacey Schneider
    Original Author
    3 years ago

The kitchen, dining room and living room are all open in this area. The range hood and the back of a built in are painted SW Tricorn Black. I have black sconces on order that will go on either side of the windows - one will be between that door and the wall of windows.

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    3 years ago

well without a picture showing all of what you mentioned, it's hard for me seeing how black would work.

But it sounds like you want it! if that's the case, go for it. it's only paint.

(might have been better if you did a wood interior door. then you could have stained it to match the floor). But black is fine too. I just recently painted my wood door black. I also painted the wall black. Have you considered doing a black accent wall anywhere?

• Stacey Schneider
    Original Author
    3 years ago

We just recently moved in and the door was like this when we bought it. I LOVE the idea of a wood door, that may have to be phase two of this project. For now paint is what is in the budget as we’re updating quite a few areas here.

I like the idea of a black accent wall, but not sure a good spot for that in this room - maybe the built-ins?

Here’s a daytime picture (the furniture and rug are not staying) -

• Stacey Schneider
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thank you all! I really like the idea of a softer gray.

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    3 years ago

yeah, that's what I was afraid of. there is no other black anywhere in the neighborhood of that door. Paint it the soft gray. I gave you some colors in my other comment.

• Stacey Schneider
    Original Author
    3 years ago

I feel like there's something missing on that wall and thought the door was an opportunity to add interest - though the view is fantastic; there are a lot of windows to that view. Maybe it won't feel as bare when the sconces are installed.

Thank you!

• ptreckel
    3 years ago

I do have to note the odd proportion of the windows and the one door on the wall. The door is VERY tall. The first row of windows in the stack are shorter than the door. The scale seems off. Perhaps if you put some sort of Roman shade on the door to lower its window’s elevation to run parallel with the windows beside it, it will bring attention to it AND balance the proportions. Does anyone else see this difference in height? Just a thought....

• homechef59
    3 years ago

No. It would look odd in this application. Keep it the same color as the trim. You big window is the star. Don't detract from it. If you want black, put it on the front door.

• leighanngilson
    3 years ago

I"m on the fence. Making it darker than all the windows emphasizes it and breaks up the view.

• decoenthusiaste
    3 years ago

I would minimize it visually, and I agree that a shade or faux roman that hangs low enough to make the door glass appear level with the window glass would improve the awkward feeling.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    3 years ago

Paint door to match wall color trim same as other trim. Pretend you have sofa back to walkway. Push sofa toward wall on right and place a sofa table behind that sofa with large fiddle fig plant on end. This will distract eye from door and yet frame the beautiful view. 😊

Stacey Schneider thanked Flo Mangan
  • Stacey Schneider
    Original Author
    3 years ago

That's a good idea of placement whether I end painting the door or not. I am leaning towards not now. I think the partial roman shade and plant/table elements complete the 'something missing' feeling I am getting.

Thank you all again!

• Stacey Schneider
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Just an update - I used a few things I already had; but it's already helped the space free more grounded. And yes, that is snow...

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    3 years ago

omg, that beautiful snow! i'm so sick of 90 degree days!! (well actually today it cooled down to 85...so, there's that)

• Stacey Schneider
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Ha! I think we need to trade climates!