Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_211475468

Help lamp identification

HU-211475468
3 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

Hello, I recently purchased a pair of what looks to me vintage brass and marble lamps from an estate sale. The lamps are 40 inches tall and are super heavy. The lamp shades also have a huge circumference. I see goat/ram heads just beneath the lamp shades and very ornate, botanical looking design. I would really appreciate if anyone could help me date them or any other information is really appreciate. Thank you for reading.

Comments (29)

• olychick
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

I wonder if they are brass or gilted bronze, which is much heavier? Sorry, I'm no real help, but it's beautiful!

https://www.chairish.com/product/1836133/neoclassical-gilt-bronze-urn-form-table-lamps-a-pair

• HU-211475468
    Original Author
    3 years ago

@olychick Thank you for your comment. That is actually a good question. I thought they are bronze but now I think that I should look into that just to be sure. The link you attached shows gorgeous lamps that are actually somewhat similar. Thank you for your input😊

• HU-211475468
    Original Author
    3 years ago

@lindac92 I will definitely add some more photos shortly. Just could not wait to see if I can learn something new about it so I posted the original photo from the estate sale. I don’t think there are any markings.

• HU-211475468
    Original Author
    3 years ago

@lindac92 I am not sure why the quality of the photos is not very good but I added additional photos. Thank you in advance.

• lindac92
    3 years ago

Let's see the part where the bulbs go and the turn on switch and the bottom...please.

• maifleur03
    3 years ago

I think that plug may be a later addition as it would have been unusual to have a white wire and plug. Most were amber to brown and black.

• HU-211475468
    Original Author
    3 years ago

@lindac92 I added some more picture. Once again, thank you very much for your time 😊

• HU-211475468
    Original Author
    3 years ago

@maifleur03 That is interesting, thank you very much for your input.

• maifleur03
    3 years ago

If not recent all the guts have been rewired. Enjoy it for what it is.

I used to watch the British Antiques Roadshow and over there lamps must be required. Several times I heard someone mention that before a lamp should be sold the wire should be cut to the base. After thinking about it I realized it was a very wise thing to do if the person rewiring knew the right wiring to use.

• HU-211475468
    Original Author
    3 years ago

@maifleur03 that makes sense. Thank you for this information. I appreciate it😊

• lindac92
    3 years ago

Guessing it dates about 1960 to 80. And very likely rewired. I had hoped to see if the bottom showed any evidence of rewiring, but I can't tell from the pictures....but that white wire is rather odd. I think the harp and socket are new...like last year "new". The shade is a puzzle as it's so perfect for the lamp it's hard to believe it's not original, but those silk ( or rayon) shades don't last very long in such perfect shape.
    Could be that the whole thing is no more than 10 years old at the most.
    Also don't think the base is brass, nor bronze and certainly not gilt.
    What are those festoons on the shade made of?
    It's a 'nice lamp" but I don't think it's anything special.

• HU-211475468
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thank you for all this information! The bottom has some kind of material that is probablu glued so I am not sure if it was rewired (but now based on everyone’s answers I believe it was rewired and someone possibly covered the bottom with a cloth so it doesn’t scratch any surfaces?). I agree with you, the shades do not show any sun damage or anything like that so I also considered that it is probably new. The festoons are not plastic as it bends. I was thinking it could be made of iron or some other metal.

• lindac92
    3 years ago

The festoons are likely brass if they bend easily....and since they echo the "garlands" on the base pretty likely they came with the lamp....also indicating that the shade is original to the lamp.....and the lamp not so old.
    I bought an antique brass candlestick that had been drilled for a lamp and painted white, at a garage sale for $.50. I stripped the paint had it wired with a socket to hold a candle flame bulb and bought a nice little shade. The $.50 candlestick now had $30 invested in it! My point in all this is that was 20 years ago.....and I noticed the other day that the shade is splitting from the heat of the bulb. Those cloth shades don't last long!

• olychick
    3 years ago

I have a Stiffel brass lamp from one of my friend's mother's house. It has a lovely cloth shade lined in silk that is probably 50 or 60 years old and is still in great shape. It's totally possible that those lamps were seldom used in a formal living room or even a bedroom and kept in pristine condition. I can't imagine why a newer lamp would have needed rewiring.

I think the weight should give you a clue as to the material the base is made from, as well as the quality of the lamp.

• maifleur03
    3 years ago

Lots of reasons for a rewire that I can think of including the many cords that were fun toys for various dogs and cats before they learned that it did not make the human happy.

• HU-211475468
    Original Author
    3 years ago

@lindac92 oh I see. Based on all Th e information I got seems like these lamps are a true mystery to me haha. But probably vintage rather than antique. The condition these shades are in is really puzzling. Thank you for your reply and time. I really appreciate it 😊

• HU-211475468
    Original Author
    3 years ago

@olychick Yes, that is definitely possibl. They sold a whole bunch of vintage items and the house at that estate sale. Lots of mid century furniture too. So who knows who lived there and where they had these lamps before I purchased it. On the add, it said that the bottom was made of marble and I somewhat agree as it is definitely some kind of dark stone but I do not see smaller speckles that are usually present in marble. I would say that each lamp is about 5 kg. I was truly surprised when I picked the lamps after I purchased it at an online estate sale haha. Thank you for your comment😊

• HU-211475468
    Original Author
    3 years ago

@maifleur03 that is true. Pets often like to chew on things they are not supposed to chew haha😊

• olychick
    3 years ago

I can see replacing a cord if chewed on, but on both lamps and the sockets? Maybe a rewiring kit comes all in one piece, but I'm having a hard time believing a homeowner would DIY rewire both lamps if they were newish.

• lindac92
    3 years ago

20 or so years ago, many lamps didn't come with polarized plugs....so that might very likely have been a reason to rewire....and speaking from experience, it's easier to just rewire the whole lamp rather un twist and re twist the connections.
    Was there a finial that fit on top of that screw in the harp? I mean there for sure was....but do you have it? If so what does it look like?

• HU-211475468
    Original Author
    3 years ago

@lindac92 That is definitely a possibility. I have caps for both of the lamps. They appear to be exactly the same. I attached pictures to this reply 😊

• HU-211475468
    Original Author
    3 years ago

@olychick That also is a good point. Why bother restoring relatively new lamps? Not sure what happened there😌

• HU-211475468
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Interestingly, I just discovered that the base of the lamp is made of two longer parts. I will attach a picture to this comment. So this is probably how it was rewired and that was probably a way to get to the socket and disassemble the lamp. I am not sure how to replace anything or put it back together so I don’t think I will dare to try take it apart haha

• Fori
    3 years ago

I had a pet rat that chewed through all my electrical...these things happen. :)

My father has always rewired any used lamp and made me do it too when I decorated my room with garage sale stuff while in high school. Some guys just don't trust anyone!
    The shades might be older than they look depending on where you live. Textiles do much better in some environments.

• HU-211475468
    Original Author
    3 years ago

@Fori That happens. My guinea pick chewed the rubber off a wire and I had some a small electric shock so that was fun.

I live in Alberta, Canada and it is quite dry here but lots of sunny days

• maifleur03
    3 years ago

Do not be too surprised if there are not more than two parts to that lamp including that the long piece may have metal spring clamps to hold it together. I think I can see at least three and perhaps four areas where individual pieces were used. The fabric should hide a screw on piece/nut similar to your finials but with a hole in the center. I have had lamps that used a hollow rod up the center which when the nut in the bottom was tightened used pressure to hold all of the pieces together.

• jemdandy
    3 years ago

I think it is two pieces: A large base and a smaller diameter upper part. I see where the two pieces come together and the top piece is off center. To correct loosen the fastener (rod or tube) that holds it together, shift and hold the two pieces in place while tightening the fastener. I see a parting line indicating this is a cast part. There are many ways to make a casting and I don't believe the manufacturer would use a very expensive injection molding die. This was probably cast by pouring low melting temperature metal (pot metal) into a mold. A finish was applied to emulate a more expensive piece. If this is solid brass or bronze, you have an expensive lamp. I think it is lower cost. Its much easier to get all those highly detailed decorations with pot metal than with high temperature metal.

If this is a 2 piece lamp, I'd expect it to be held together with a rod, or more likely, a tube. The ends of the tube is threaded and thin nuts hold everything in place, The lamp wire runs through the tube. The lamp socket and shade harp is an ordinary replaceable part available in hardware stores selling lamps and wiring devices. The one on this lamp is made by Levitron. The lamp cord looks like a new replacement to me. If so, let hope whoever did the rewire gave attention to points where the wire might chafe. Also, there should be provision for a strain relief to keep tugs on the cord from pulling on the screw terminals where the electrical connections were made. This is often done with simple knot at top near the wiring terminals.

There is one thing you may wish to inspect and that is the condition of a cardboard shell that keeps the terminal screws and errant wire ends from touching the outer socket. If that connection is ever made, the lamp is dangerous because the lamp socket would be touching a live circuit wire. The paper-board shell is inside the lamp socket where the switch is. It surrounds the switch assembly. It should be in good shape. If it is discolored, brittle, or charred, replace the lamp socket/switch. Unfortunately, I have never seen this insulator for sale as a separator part. These lamp sockets come in slightly different shapes and the paperboard insulator is shaped to fit. This is an inexpensive piece and a commonly replaced part.

• PRO
    RL Relocation LLC
    3 years ago

Your lamps have been rewired re-felted and lacquered. Nothing too special about them. and if there was they semi-destroyed that when they did all those things to them. Cira 1980 does make them vintage but not worth much. Hope you didnt pay too much for them.