Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sierra400

If I want to put down 3” of compacted DG in backyard do I excavate 3”?

sierra400
3 years ago

Need help figuring out how much soil to dig out of my yard to put down DG. The plan is to put down a 3” layer of DG across the yard, and compact it with a plate compactor in 1” lifts. Will this still equal 3” in height? Or will it be like 2” or 2.5” after compacted? I need to figure this out so I know how much soil to excavate out of the yard.... do I take out 3” of soil for 3” of compacted DG? Or less? My soil is silt with gravels, I live in the high desert of Nevada. Thanks!

Comments (12)

• dchall_san_antonio
    3 years ago

Assuming you are talking about decomposed granite, if you want 3 inches of decomposed granite and you want the same elevation (good idea), then take out 3 inches of soil. Then use as much granite as it takes to bring the level up to the previous level after compacting.

• sierra400
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thank you!

• toxcrusadr
    3 years ago

I hope you have an accurate way to measure how much you've actually removed. I guess it would be fairly simple over a flat area because you can establish a benchmark and measure everything off that. If you're doing it by hand or may be a bobcat, so much the better, but anything larger than that and you'll have trouble with that level of accuracy.

• sierra400
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thank you, yes we will be removing the soil by hand. It’s a pretty small area of our yard and relatively flat. We plan to set up a datum with level to keep track of how deep we are going. Hoping it works well...

• sierra400
    Original Author
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

Haha archaeologist actually

• dchall_san_antonio
    3 years ago

Perfect. Well, don't overthink the concept of putting 3 inches of granite into a 3-inch deep hole. I am curious. Why do you want decomposed granite and why 3 inches of it? We have a couple places where we used it but we just dumped it on the surface and walked on it to compact.

Here's something else to consider when doing it your way. After you dig out the 3 inches of soil, start watering lightly 3x per day for a week to see if there are any weed seeds exposed while digging. If anything grows, spray it with Round Up. If the watering brings up nutgrass, then hit that with Sedgehammer, Image, or another sedge specific killer. Then continue watering another week to see if any more weeds germinate. Repeat the RU if necessary.

Also do not make the mistake of thinking the granite will be the end of weeds. They can sprout in the granite as easily as topsoil.

So did I just suggest not overthinking it and then give you a bunch of stuff to think about?

• sierra400
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thank you so much for the tips! good to know about the weeds, we will do that and spread pre-emergent too I think. we decided to dig out the 3” because our soil is already pretty high in our yard so adding the extra DG even compacted would likely spill over our concrete patio and walkway

• dchall_san_antonio
    3 years ago

Agreed, you don't want that. We put a 4 inch steel border around ours to contain it.

• toxcrusadr
    3 years ago

Just a note, I hope you know you don't have to set up a 10 ft square grid and sift all the soil you dig out for potsherds and bone fragments. LOL

• dchall_san_antonio
    3 years ago

Doesn't have to but it's good practice. ;-)

• sierra400
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Hahah!