Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bulldog78

Floor Ideas? What to do?

DM Kain
3 years ago

We need to decide on a floor. From the picture I took, what would you put in?

The woodwork is all cherry, walls are light. We live in northern Iowa.

Type? Hardwood (was cherry), engineered, LVP?

Brand? any suggestions would be helpful

Color? Lighter or darker

Movement? high or low contrast?

Any pictures of your floor would be helpful! 😁

Comments (18)

• PRO
    Sabrina Alfin Interiors
    3 years ago

I think I'd go with a black-stained wide plank floor to contrast against the cherry millwork. Paint the walls a bright white.

DM Kain thanked Sabrina Alfin Interiors
  • SJ McCarthy
    3 years ago

The black stain would be nice...but a NIGHTMARE to live with. Super dark floors (same depth as your wood on the walls) are DIVAS. They should come with their own cleaning crew. Every speck of dust (ahem...human skin cells make up 90% of indoor dust) dirt and any hair that isn't identical to the colour of the floor.

When working with REAL cherry, I always think natural American Cherry (no stain...just the pale wood finished in water based polyurethane) looks stunning.

A. Cherry DARKENS as it ages. We call this photosensitive. Maple does this as well. There is a way to prevent the cherry from getting darker (or redder). A UV protector can be added to the polyurethane to stop this from happening.

But in this case, I would say the mid-brown/red cherry that comes with UV exposure would be a great option. The tones will do very well with each other and you will have a beautiful floor that has it's own beauty.

Cherry isn't something I suggest very often, but in your situation is PERFECT for such a beautiful wood.

DM Kain thanked SJ McCarthy
  • DM Kain
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thank you for the comments.

We have been getting steered to engineered wood? Haven’t seen anything that stands out yet. I liked our wood floors, but having a hard time finding one that is a good look with our wood/walls.

• Comoelita Melendez
    3 years ago

Completely agree with SJ here! I am saying this as someone who had friends put in dark/ chocolate/black hardwood and I used to envy them. Come to find out, they told me they would never get them again because of the maintenance. I think a nice wide plank oak, maple or warm Brazilian Cherry(my fav, would look gorgeous in your space!) and SW Ibis White on the walls would just make it look modern and classy all at once!

DM Kain thanked Comoelita Melendez
  • littlebug zone 5 Missouri
    3 years ago

I too had friends that installed very dark wood flooring, at much expense. I was aghast when I saw it for the first time. My friends were extremely fine housekeepers but that floor looked filthy all the time. Even if you walked barefoot over it, those footprints were there to stay.

DM Kain thanked littlebug zone 5 Missouri
  • DM Kain
    Original Author
    3 years ago

We had Brazilian cherry wood floors and they were beautiful. In May, we had a main floor bathroom pipe burst that took out our main floor floors and our basement ceiling, floors and walls!

it was not a pretty sight! (We were gone overnight when it happened!)

Although I loved our floor, it showed a lot of dust and footprints, had a tendency to move in our climate, really darkened with the sun coming through our windows, and made for a lot of cherrywood color!

I thought we would try to stay away from wood and go engineered with some color variation?

• Jennifer Hogan
    3 years ago

With the beautiful wood work in your home I might go with tile or slate or an LVT with little pattern, again in a slate, stone tile or linen look.

Let the wood be the star!

If doing wood look I would go with an LVP with lighter tones and little variation. Again, letting the floors take a supporting role to the cabinets and trim.

DM Kain thanked Jennifer Hogan
  • everdebz
    3 years ago

Nice lines in the 'architecture' that has strong presence I guess it's called. The floor idk might complement best as you had [too bad], without much busy.

https://www.houzz.com/magazine/when-to-use-engineered-wood-floors-stsetivw-vs~574877

DM Kain thanked everdebz
  • DM Kain thanked everdebz
  • everdebz
    3 years ago

This lead photo reminded me of your focal wall, in case it's helpful -

https://www.houzz.com/magazine/putting-the-focal-wall-to-good-use-stsetivw-vs~192182

DM Kain thanked everdebz
  • everdebz
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

Stenciling popped into my search. If you placed a well-done stencil [I tried, and it's hard] on fp wall, maybe the floor could be a match with wood - idea for a plan. I bet matching is good anyway !?

https://www.houzz.com/houzz-tv/houzz-tv-create-your-own-mural-wall-with-easy-diy-stencils-and-stamps-stshtvvw-vt~54586039

DM Kain thanked everdebz
  • PRO
    Beth H. :
    3 years ago

I'd do an engineered wide plank french oak in a lighter color. Down the road if you ever want to update the 'cherry' to something else, you won't have to worry about the floors 'matching'.

Not this type of flooring, just the coloring. you can see it next to the cherry cabs

or maybe like this. this is a french oak. looks nice w/the cherry

I like this shade too

if you want darker:

I think doing cherry colored flooring, with the trim and the paneling, would just be too much red. Now youre stuck with color for ever, even if you want to paint the trim or paneling. (not saying you will, but who knows in 10-15 years ? )

DM Kain thanked Beth H. :
  • everdebz
    3 years ago

Editing cause I saw Beth's !!!

Another stencil, or there's wallpaper !

Tea House Trellis Craft Stencil, Reusable Stencils For DIY Home Decor, Medium · More Info

Tea House Trellis Stenciled Dining Room · More Info

DM Kain thanked everdebz
  • everdebz
    3 years ago

If whole house has same look as this room, a warm red, red-brown could be the accent color with non-reddish flooring. Add simple accessories.

Fall Memories Floral Print Pillow, Red, 18"x18" · More Info

Abstract Floral Floral Print Pillow, Red, 20"x20" · More Info

DM Kain thanked everdebz
  • everdebz
    3 years ago

If you match the woods, try white ? Thanks for 'listening' and I can delete posts that are a no.

Houzz: "Warm medium-dark woods get a fantastic finishing touch with the very dark window framing and details throughout. I love how the complementary furniture seems to seep into the wood." Simple lines everywhere.

Crazy Rosewood Throw Pillow, 18"x18" · More Info

https://www.houzz.com/hznb/photos/quaker-bluff-residence-rustic-living-room-burlington-phvw-vp~105129

DM Kain thanked everdebz
  • dan1888
    3 years ago

https://www.bole.eu/product/curv8/#modular

Light would be my choice. Furniture or art with wood doesn't have to match the floor. The cherry is art.

DM Kain thanked dan1888
  • jacksplash
    3 years ago

I would agree with the lighter wood flooring as i think more cherry may be too much.

Good luck!

DM Kain thanked jacksplash