Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mmccool719

kitchen counter update-from granite to....?

Melissa D
3 years ago

Me again. Considering an update from builder grade granite to something a little more modern. We have white cabinets, light gray subway tile, stainless appliances and dark mahogany floors. Walls are currently goldish but will be changing that too. What is a good upgrade for. Punters?

Comments (13)

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

please delete your other post.

so you want to change these countertops and leave the tile? The problem is, you tiled on top of the granite backsplash. they really don't look good together.

and you have the piece behind the stove. anymore tile leftover? perhaps you could tile down to the new countertop and fill in the space behind the stove. or do you think switching tile is in the realm?

what do you think about a modern quartz?

or, you could do a granite like Alaska White/Delicatus

• HU-187528210
    3 years ago

Agree with Beth. The issue is the counter goes a little up! But anyways regarding counter I’d do either solid white or white with gray veining

• PRO
    Porcetalia
    3 years ago

Hi there! Porcetalia specializes in porcelain countertops! What quartz did to granite, porcelain is about to do to quartz. Advantages of porcelain is that it is like a diamond, only a diamond on a diamond will create a scratch - that is the same for porcelain. It is highly heat resistant, stain-proof, and is resists any harsh chemicals. It comes in a variety of colors including both polished and matte. Here are some pictures of the work we have completed using Large Format Porcelain Tile.

• PRO
    Porcetalia
    3 years ago

We provide these high quality slabs for contractors to purchase. For more information on how your contractors can get these porcelain slabs, click on our profile and message us and/or call us.

• Celadon
    3 years ago

@Porcetalia Spamming the forum earns you everlasting ire, and exactly zero customers. It earns you the opposite of customers. People hate spammers. Don't spam.

Delete your posts before the forum moderator does.

• chispa
    3 years ago

@Porcetalia, you might also want to search on this forum for people who have installed porcelain slabs and had nothing but problems. There was one just recently and her new porcelain counter has cracked and is now trash. You'll have problems too, if you are selling to any contractor who hasn't been trained on this material.

• PRO
    RL Relocation LLC
    3 years ago

I agree with June, nothing else about your house says gray tile, and white cabinets....

• MaryBocaTX
    3 years ago

JuneKnow is correct. I have the same countertops in my kitchen. I purchased them about 20 years ago when Silestone was brand new to the market here, and was marketed by a door-to-door salesman as an inexpensive alternative to granite (which I did not want anyway). I don’t have quite as much counter space as you do, but just about, and I swear those countertops cost about $500 installed. The salesman had about 4-5 options to choose from, and that (obviously) was one of them. I remember there was a beige one with little primary colored polka dots in it...like a circus. He told me that they were ”heat-proof, scratch-proof, and stain-proof.” And I believed him. So, needless to say, I have been chopping on them, taking hot bowls/dishes/baking pans out of the oven/microwave all this time (for YEARS!) and placing them directly on the counters. They look EXACTLY the same as they did the day they were installed. Our three boys have grown up, towered over, and moved away from those countertops, but the Silestone remains.

I am about to redo our kitchen and replace them with a different Silestone (my tastes have changed, of course). But those counters will always be one of the smartest decisions we ever made. Of course now the rest of the world has discovered quartz and the price will never be the same. *sigh*

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    3 years ago

Several decades ago I learned that I was not in the countertop business, I was in the fashion business. I have never forgotten that.

• calidesign
    3 years ago

You can change the countertop to almost anything you want to since you will have to change the back splash at the same time. You just need to consider the warm toned floors and the white cabinets, and then choose a countertop and one back splash tile.

• Tracey Woods
    3 years ago

I agree with Beth and Calie. Plan on replacing both the countertop and the backsplash. Find the countertop first and then the backsplash after the countertop is installed. No more 4” countertop backsplash, that is also dating it. I don’t think that shade of blue in the backsplash is working for you anyway, it seems to have a cool undertone.