Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
steven_weddell2

Provenza Maxcore popping and snapping

Steven Wedd
3 years ago

Had installed Provenza Maxcore Moda Collection Finally Mine back in August. Noticed a few places where there was a little snap or pop and installer said give it a few months and it will settle in and go away. Called him back out a month later and he said to give it some more time.

Fast forward three months and the snapping has gone from one small area to throughout almost the whole downstairs. Installer was out again this morning and I could hear him walking on the other side of the house with it popping. Said he talked to the owner of his company and they agreed that since its basically a plastic floor that it can be normal to get some snapping and popping noise. He said he can bring out the Provenza rep, but they will say the same thing.

Am I mistaken in my expectations that this new floor should be silent? Is this the way LVP is? Installer said they tell people before purchase the floor can make some noise. I know we were never told that. Who would purchase a floor that pops and snaps? I could not image a company staying in business manufacturing floors that made noise with every step.

Comments (68)

• Dan
    3 years ago

That’s not good news....... I watched them install the floor and they left the appropriate spacing...... I just keep hoping that it just needs more break in time as it hasn’t even been a month. Sorry to hear about your issues too. Are there others having this issue?

• SJ McCarthy
    3 years ago

Thousands are having this issue. The attached underlay *might be part of the issue. The edges of the click system can move just enough to make a squeaking sound. Some will get better after 6 months or so....And other vinyl never calms down = full removal.

• Dan
    3 years ago

Is Provenza aware of the issue and willing to make it right? What does a person do?

• Steven Wedd
    Original Author
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

@Dan.....I watched our floor install. I saw that when the floor was laid down that there was enough spacing around the perimeter, so I knew they were not going to find much when the pulled up the base and quarter round. There are no soft spots or spongy spots that would indicate a sub floor that was not flat or level. It was explained to us that the edges of the planks(uclick system I believe) are designed to not rub together with this system and therefore you are not going to get them to move against each other and make noise. Besides the noise seems to be coming not from the perimeter of the plank, but more in the middle, which it would almost seem that the backing is being compressed as you step and the noise you hear is when you step off it and it releases.

As far as Provenza, I called and talked to them and they woman said that their floors do not make noise. She gave me the name and phone number of the west coast distributor and told me to contact them and they have a rep that will come out. As previously stated the rep did come out along with one of the co-owners of the flooring store where we purchased the product along with the sales rep. I have had the other co-owner/installation supervisor out here on 3 other occasions to talk about the issues. No one can put a finger on the issue including the rep.

Unless many other people like yourself starting coming forward and bring light to this situation, its just going to turn into a finger pointing match with provenza and the installer blaming each other and you are left in the middle holding the bag. We are being told that this is the way it is and this is not real wood flooring, so what do you expect. its a plastic product that is going to make noise. I tell you one thing, I will never purchase an LVP product again.

As a side note we had some friends that moved up here and purchased a used home. Replaced the flooring with the cheapest cheapest LVP you will ever find. Cannot even find the brand/manufacturer of it online. Only at this one store in the ghetto where they purchased it. It makes my floor sound like you are walking on bubble wrap. Theirs is so quite and looks just as good. How the wear is going to be in 5 years on theirs we will see.

• Dan
    3 years ago

Steven I see you commented but can’t see the thread? I knew they were....... was the last I can read.

• Steven Wedd
    Original Author
    3 years ago

@Dan .....I can see my full comment in the thread. Were you able to see it all?

• Dan
    3 years ago

Negative just this reply.

• Steven Wedd
    Original Author
    3 years ago

@Dan I noticed on some threads it shows just a couple lines and you have to click on the text to expand it to see everything

• SJ McCarthy
    3 years ago

@Dan We've had several homeowners take this all the way up the corporate ladder. One in particular (CoreTec) took almost 1 year...but it eventually got sorted. It took dedication. It took time. And it took weekly phone calls + weekly emails + weekly snail-mail to everyone involved in the sale, distribution, etc. of the product.

The biggest issues are the noisy floors that do NOT get better after 6 months. It takes a seasonal change to tell if the floors will get quieter or not. Those people who have issues that went away, said it took:

1. Season change (spring - fall; summer-winter; etc)

2. The floors were noisier in the MORNINGS (BEFORE the heat kicks on...or before the house warms up in the summer)

3. The continuous flooring (through doors, etc) that the manufacturer says is allowed made things a little worse. A T-molding could be dropped in all doorways to reduce the continuous length of floor.

Of course not all got better. Some brands and some LINES inside those brands never get any better. It has to do with so many variables but the essence is the floor moves JUST ENOUGH to cause the vinyl-on-vinyl rubbing = like two balloons rubbing together. The only way to get rid of the squeaking = get rid of one of the balloons....or the vinyl flooring.

Your floors are roughly 1 month old in the coldest part of the season. Please CHECK your humidity range it must sit around 40% humidity. If your home (not your phone...your home) does NOT have a humidity gauge, then purchase a hygrometer at Home Depot for $35. If your home is DRIER than 40% humidity, you are probably out of warranty....but you have to check to see if that is the case = have a hygrometer in the house.

Please check the FLATNESS rating using a 10ft level (or nothing less than a 6ft level). If you see any humps or bumps, feel free to measure them. The floors must be within 3mm over 3meters (3/16 over 10ft). If you think there are areas that have that amount of difference, then you have a legitimate issue with the installation. But...and there is always a but....BUT you have to PROVE you spent ++ money on PREPARATION (not $250 over 1200sf...that's not enough). If you have a line-item that states prep and it comes up around $2/sf, then you have a real beef with the intaller/company that did the installation.

Whew! So much going on with flooring. Hang in there. Keep an eye on it. You will need to hear what the floor does in July. If it is still noisy, then you can go ahead and make sure someone hears from you. But make sure all the 'T's are crossed and all the "i"s are dotted. That means you need to print out the installation instructions and go over it with a fine toothed comb. If you feel the installer did NOT do/check something then get them back in ASAP.

Manufacturers will NOT deal with 'improperly installed' floors.

• Dan
    3 years ago

Well I just wanted to check in and give an update..... Noise is still there after just 2 months just hopping it will start to get better at some point. Very frustrated with all the hard work and buying a premium product to have these issues...... I did contact the flooring company and they told me to contact the installer. Ive chatted with him several times just haven’t done a site visit yet as we are hoping time will solve the problem. I honestly just don’t see this getting better....... Any other thoughts or ideas out there?

• Steven Wedd
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Would be interesting to see what the installer has to say. Too bad the company that sold you the floor is not interested in helping you solve the issue.

We are nine months into ours and the floor is still noisy. Nothing has changed. Let me/us know what your installer thinks is the problem.

• NIk Rog
    2 years ago

Same here, Provenza Moda lIving Finally Mine over OSB, even small floor unevenness ~2mm over 6 feet (acceptable by spec) create floor crackle sound (like walking on the sand), tried to take the boards out, vacuum the floor and board seams, wiped the floor and wiped the seams - same.

@steven-weddell2 did your floor settle?

• Steven Wedd
    Original Author
    2 years ago

@nlk rog No...our floors still make noise. Definitely gets quieter in the cooler weather, like this time of year. Summer sounds like fireworks going off as you walk around.

I notice if I just try to walk on the center of the board, no matter what time of year, it is quieter. As I walk on or across the seams, I get the snap crackle pop. I really don't think it has to do if your sub floor is flat or not. I think it has to do with how the individual boards connect with each other.

• NIk Rog
    2 years ago

I tend to agree with you about walking on or across the seams. My sound is mostly like sand in joints/seams or like some dust/debris under the board or in the seam. Made 1/3 of the first floor (1000sq ft) already, but stuck with that sound, hate it, don't know what to do, to be honest.

PS: Surprisingly almost no noise in the big area of the living room with the longboards where I expected more floor deflection, but the high-traffic kitchen area where I've sanded and patched to level it to the spec is still noisy. Have a feeling that rigid core LVP is not forgiving any small floor imperfections even within spec, but still can't believe this product has that flatness requirement.

• Steven Wedd
    Original Author
    2 years ago

@nlk rog Our noise is not because our floor is not flat. We have had the installation company come out a handful of times, including one time with the West Coast floor rep for provenza. He measured and looked at the installation and scratched his head. He is not sure why it's making noise.

• NIk Rog
    2 years ago

@Steven Wedd so still no conclusion or solution was proposed about the cause??

• Steven Wedd
    Original Author
    2 years ago

@NIk Rog Nope. I am the one left holding the bag. The only thing they could come up with, was thinking the floors were installed too tight against the walls. They pulled the baseboards at different areas around the kitchen and the gaps were more than acceptable, so the floor wasn't binding up against the walls at all.

If it's not too late for you I would take the product back and get a refund if you have installed it all. If it's already popping now it's certainly not going to get better.

• Chris Johnson
    2 years ago

Just my 2 cents.....I haven't read anywhere on this thread about the installers using 6 mil visqueen under the flooring. I understand the flooring has a built in "underlayment" but as it has been WELL DOCUMENTED that even the smallest amount of moisture/humidity can and will effect the flooring through movement....noise sounds like it happens when walking on it....maybe if any moisture ( even " acceptable " levels ) was contained under non-permiable 6 mil plastic might just be enough to stop the floor from having so much negative movement. We use 6 mil visqueen under any manufacturers flooring that has " built on underlayment " weather it be rubber, cork, or anything else, as the underlayment is NOT moisture controlling.....every flooring pro knows that moisture in ANY FORM ie: topical, leaks or humidity can reek havoc. Not saying this will solve your problem as no one except you and your installer can actually find a solution....but as a pro, if I ever found myself in this position with a client, I would have already tore the floor out, re-installed from a different manufacturer if that is what my client wanted and fought the distributor/manufacturer away from my client. If the client has not in any way, shape or form, mistreated the flooring due to excessive temperature/humidity fluctuations, leaks, pets or other things of that nature, they would have a new floor, and I would stop carrying the product line in my store if they didn't want to stand behind their product......just my 2 cents....be

• Steven Wedd
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Our floor is starting to make noise again as the weather is starting to warm up. It's obviously the seams where the different pieces are snapped together. If you walk in the middle of the board no sound, you walk on the edges and you get the snapping and popping. Best time to sell this house will be in the winter time as the floor is quiet, but as the weather warms up the floor starts to get noisy.

• Chris Eley
    2 years ago

I literally am having the exact same problem, this is not acceptable! Just installed brand new $13k Provenza First Crush floors, and all I hear is the snap crackle pop. I will be calling my installer tomorrow, but it looks like this is a far larger issue than just me!

• Chris Johnson
    2 years ago

Just curious.....did your installers use a 6 mil visqueen plastic underneath the LVP?

• Chris Eley
    2 years ago

Not sure what visqueen is, but yes, the installers used a 6 mil vapor barrier under the floors. At first I wasn't sure if the vapor barrier itself was making the noise, so I removed it in our master bath and reinstalled the flooring. Still have the same noise with or without the vapor barrier. I think we just bought a crap product from Provenza. Has anyone here had provenza lvp floors installed with absolutely no noise when walked on?

• Chris Johnson
    2 years ago

Visqueen is the name of the 6 mil plastic that gets put down under the flooring...and yes, I have installed thousands of feet of Provenza with no problems. I have been a floor mechanic since 1989 and have been in business for myself since '07 in N. E. Florida, and do work from Fernandina Beach to Gainseville, and have not experienced this problem with not only Provenza, but any other LVP as well. The locking mechanisms on these floors with their " tilt-lock" design make it actually a stronger lock than a traditional tongue and groove method so when I was reading these situations, the only thing that makes sense is the connection is compromised/ weak / under stress...humidity changes should make the floor shrink and grow, but the boards should do them uniformly as they are feeling humidity at the same time / levels....if only certain areas were making noise I would think either the Subfloor is so out of wack, the boards are sitting in low spots and the connection gets stressed and moves in the lock and makes the noise....but that isn't really an option.... like I said in the original post, I can't believe the manufacturer isn't standing behind it and I can't believe the installer isn't getting involved as a advocate for their client with the distributer/manufacturer so as to make sure the client has a good floor....sure would like to hear if anyone is able to figure out why the floor is making noise definitively....

• jennyhoopes
    2 years ago

We just installed our flooring and are having the same issues. It makes me sick to think about how much we spent on flooring, installation, baseboards, etc, only to have terrible, cheap sounding floors.

Steven Wedd thanked jennyhoopes
  • K B
    last year

We are having this problem as well

with Provenza Road Trip. Installer says it’s the product, Provenza says it’s

the installer. The company we bought it through has no solutions. We installed 4 months ago (February), so we have been through season changes with no improvement.

Has anyone had this sucessfully resolved either with Provenza or another company? what steps did you take?

• Chris Eley
    last year

I've been waiting to see if the noise would go away over time, so far it has not and actually sounds worse now (5 months later). I will call up my contractor next week and go through the process with them, but my guess is I will have the same outcome as you. I wonder why only some people have this problem, and not all? Does anyone else live in Arizona or a very dry climate? I know the warranty states that the humidity levels should be from 35-55%, so I wonder if that has something do with it.

• Jose Medina
    last year

Chris Eley, i just placed an order of Provenza Moda Living ”Fanally Mine” yesterday and im freaking out, specially cause im in AZ as well. Ive read so many good reviews through different social medias and this is the first time ive heard of this issue.

• Chris Eley
    last year

So the good news is my floors are starting to sound a little better. We actually left for vacation for 2 weeks and had the thermostat set much higher while we were gone. When we came back the sounds were reduced. Not sure if the floors just expanded with the higher temperatures? So hopefully these keep getting better as time goes by. Jose, just be sure to use a registered contractor in case you have any issues. And when they have installed a room or section, walk on them to see if they make any noises.

• Chris Eley
    last year

Actually thinking more about it, it may just be the higher humidity levels in Phx right now. Hopefully the noises don't come back after monsoon season

• bigwhitehapydog
    last year

Jose Medina are your floors in? Are you having this problem as well? I had my mine set on the Provenza and am now worried

• Robbi Millest
    last year

We had approx 3600 sq ft of Provenza New York Loft Hardwood Collection and have this same issue - movement and housewide crackle/pop (from the open areas to the completely separated closets). It was an $80,000 job and the store owner has asked her installer to file with his insurance company. They stapled on subfloor over crawlspace. I phoned Provenza but only received a voicemail and no return call. Does anyone have a corporate contact they're willing to share? I'm so sorry for those of you who experience this... it is awful during the day, but when no one wants to get up in the night because they are afraid to wake others (it is that loud!), it makes for sleepless nights and unnecessary stress.

• Arsen
    last year

I’m in the process of installing provenza moda loving and also have crackling sound. I know my floor is flat to manufacturer’s requirement of 3/16 over 10 feet and 1/8 over 6 feet. Did the noise go away over time for anyone?

• Misty Wei
    last year

My provenza LVP was just installed a few weeks ago and for sure is making so much popping and cracking sounds. I’m hoping it gets at least a little better. trying to focus on how beautiful it is, and at least now I can hear if my teenagers decide to sneek out in the middle of the night.

• Arsen
    last year

Just curious what does you flooring contractor say about it?

I was touring a model home the other day which also had Provenza lvp. It was making the same crackling sounds.

• NIk Rog
    last year

One year after self-install (with floor leveling), all is quiet now.

• Arsen
    last year

Thanks for the reply. Did it take a whole year for it to get quite?

I’m doing a self-install too and spent many many hours trying to get the floor as flat as possible but it still makes that crackling sounds which drives me crazy.

• NIk Rog
    last year

Hah, I almost lose my mind trying to discover the source of this sound, it took a couple of seasons for sure, jumping kids helped too. My guess is if you have a subfloor that might flex, it will make seams flex too, so it takes time (and dust, and floor washing product) for these plastic seams to settle

• Chris Eley
    last year

Well, it's been a year since mine were installed and the popping and cracking is still there. Seemed like it went away for a while, then the recent warmer weather made them start to act up again. Very very frustrating! I saw there is a facebook group for a class action lawsuit, but not sure if that will do anything to help us out. Seems like all Provenza products are just total garbage.

• Jose Medina
    last year

I did my owm installation of Provenza Moda Living ”Finally Mine” December of 22’. its March of 23’ and its still crackling, pretty much with every step. It kinda sounds like Rice Krispies with every step we take. A professional floor installer where i bought the floors spent 2 1/2 days prepping my slab for me before i installed them. The floors look beautiful and withstands my dogs big nails as he likes to run and slide everywhere inside the house. my only problem is the crackling noise. i really hope it goes away. Make sure your subfloors is as FLAT as possible to reduce the crackling noise.

• Steven Wedd
    Original Author
    last year

Ours are always pretty quiet during the winter time. Now that we're getting a couple warmer days, the popping is coming back. It's been like this for a couple years and we'll just have to accept that this is the way it's going to be.

• Michael Kamrath
    last year

I self installed Coretec (Original) lvp in my family room and hallway a couple months ago. It too has a crackling sound in some areas (worse in narrow hallway) which makes me think it is not specific to the the brand mentioned above. Floors were level to within spec and the lvp has a cork backing which we paid extra for thinking it was a premium product. It was laid directly on the subfloor (floating). Lvp is just a garbage product. I was going to go with wood but got swayed by the durability and waterproof arguments. Regret it.

I still have to finish the kitchen, dining and mud room and think I will glue it down to see if that eliminates the problem.

• Laurynas
    6 months ago

I have same problem with other brand. Curious if the noise stopped over time?

• Chris Eley
    6 months ago

Unfortunately, it has not stopped over time for me. It sounds like it has gotten quieter, but I may just be getting used to it now. Lesson learned, will never install LVP ever again.

• Laurynas
    5 months ago

@Michael Kamrath did glue down solved problem? Are you still having crackling sound?

• Michael Kamrath
    3 months ago

To Laurynas.

Yes. Gluing down solved the problem. And actually the part that wasn't glued down quieted down considerably after 1 year. It still seems to make some noise in the winter (probably because we don't humidify the house) but it is much better than when first installed.

• Melvin Hayward
    2 months ago

why are the joints bulging and flexing up and down

• Allie Hornseth
    last month

Has anyone filed a claim with any luck we just installed it with the exact same issue and are just sick over it

• Chelsea Capener
    last month

Having this same issue. We had our Provenza Midas Touch professionally installed back in December. And right away noticed snapping and popping when walking on it. Almost like you are walking on Rice Krispies! The installers came out to try and address but when they realized it was everywhere they sent out an inspector. The installers then came back and pulled all the trim from the walls and around cabinets to see if it was an expansion issue but still did it. They also tried installing T-Molds (which look ridiculous and ruin the flow of the floor) but even those didn’t help. We are still working with the installers to hopefully get a resolve. The floors are beautiful but it’s so sad to have spent so much money to have floors that are cheap and crack every time you walk on them. I would definitely consider a better brand if you are currently looking at Provenza!

• Misty Wei
    18 days ago

I had to come back and update. its been over a year and ours has quieted down so much. i am now officially in love with the floor