Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
faizah_belliot

Is 22x22 too big for a two story great room?

Faizah Belliot
3 years ago

I’m planning a custom home and I don’t want the space to feel cavernous. I want a cozy feeling that’s not too small. I like the idea of having a perfect square sized room. I want space to move around when I have guests and I will also be using the space for active video gaming. The ceiling will be the Normal 18-20 feet. Thoughts?

Comments (16)

• nhb22
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

22 x 22 is not terrible oversized. I think it's a nice size. However, I believe that your room will look like a cube because it is almost equal on all sides. Will the ceilings have any variable heights, or beams?

My great room (not including the kitchen and breakfast area) will be 28 x 18, but is opened to the kitchen and breakfast area (total is 42 x 18+). The ceilings are 10'.

• acm
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

Even a rectangle with 22 foot length usually needs to be divided into two functional zones, so whether 22x22 would be spacious or cavernous would depend on how many different groupings of furniture/functions it would contain. That's way too big for a normal living room, but if you have an eating area, and a conversational grouping of chairs near a fireplace, and another zone with a TV and gaming setup, and... Then it might seem great. "Great room" means a lot of things to different people, so maybe if you can clarify your goals, we can better help you decide.

(Also useful: make a to-scale drawing on graph paper, and then cut out to-scale furniture and try moving it around to see what happens, keeping in mind walkways and so forth.)

Edited to add: Not sure what "the normal 18-20 feet" means, either -- my house has 8-foot or 10-foot ceilings throughout. You definitely need to think about what "cozy" means to you before you commit to huge in every dimension!

• JJ
    3 years ago

Think 2 2-car garages stacked on top of each other. Thats a lot of volume if its just expanses of sheetrock. But it doesn't have to be that.

• Indecisiveness
    3 years ago

What is going to be in this space? Is this just a living/family room or does it include a dining room?

• PRO
    Virgil Carter Fine Art
    3 years ago

Generally speaking, a square room may have a lot of wasted space since a square is an uncommon proportion for many residential uses. But...it really depends on how the space will be used.

From a visual and design perspective, an interior space that is both square and as high as it is wide in both directions is odd, and most likely not well proportioned.

What makes you want such a space? Are you working with an architect?

• Faizah Belliot
    Original Author
    3 years ago

This will just be a living room. I am going to get an architect. I see a houseplan that I like, I just want this particular space bigger

• Faizah Belliot
    Original Author
    3 years ago

This is the floor plan. I plan to have the stairs moved to where the powder room is and extend the kitchen wall down

• Faizah Belliot
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Hmmm why?

• decoenthusiaste
    3 years ago

Do you have your building lot? If so, then the next step is to make your lists: must haves and don't wants. Then find the architect and give him/her your list. Take them to the property and let them take a crack at producing the ideal home for you. The one you posted has too many really negative things going on; you don't want to read our list of issues!

• kempek01
    3 years ago

Hello Faizah,

June is trying to tell you that there are a lot of problems with the plan, especially as you want to modify them.

As I am understanding it, you would eliminate the powder room on the first floor. The only bathroom on the first floor would then be in Bedroom #4. Which would now become a lousy guestroom (since it is also the entrance to the "public" bathroom).

And the dining room would be cut in half also. Which would make it useless too.

At least that is the way I am understanding the ideas. I could be wrong.

The plan you posted is better without the modifications that with them. But you could do much better.

• User
    3 years ago

It’s not a good plan to begin with. Your proposed changes would only make it worse.

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    3 years ago

Normal height is max. 10 ft IMO a room that size with a 20’ ceiling is like a huge box with no plan at all. I actually do not like squaer rooms they make furniture arrangement wakward. My advice figure out what you want in the room for furniture and design a room that works for that use. IMo your architect is who will help with tis plan IMO a vaulted space and a 2 storey space all in one house is not good.

• PRO
    Jeffrey R. Grenz, General Contractor
    3 years ago

A Great Room is many things including a passageway to other places. The last few have ranged from 17x20 to 25x25, 3600-5200 sf homes. The largest was in a 4000 sf home with large proportions, but few rooms.

• WestCoast Hopeful
    3 years ago

Our great room is 20x19.5 so essentially square but it leads to an open concept dining and kitchen. Layout really matters. I don’t dislike yours as much as others but it’s not great to be honest

• Susan Murin
    3 years ago

I agree with others that it is not a great floor plan. You have a traffic zone through your work kitchen triangle, for one. You also have quite a variety of ceiling types. Really think about how you and your family live and imagine doing so in that space.

• Jodow
    2 years ago

Faizah-did you decide on the 22x22 family room size? I changed my family room to 22x22 ( didn’t start building yet) so I was curious if you have any insight!

Sponsored
Winks Remodeling & Handyman Services
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County