Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
robotropolis

Share some art you have that you like?

robo (z6a)
3 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

Bbstx got me thinking - what do you have for art in your home you really like?

This is my favourite - it’s an original I found in a thrift store for $5 - about 10” x 20”. Steal of the century!

an 8x10 by one of my favourite local “decorative” artists (Louise Baker) and a raku-style bowl by a Canadian potter. If you like lots of color and flowers, which I do, check out Louise Baker Fine Art. Her larger canvases are in the 1000-1500cad range.

Another thrift store find - I instinctively really liked it but doubted myself and had to consult with multiple friends before hanging because I thought it might read extremely amateurish.

yard sale find - a local street scene

Facebook marketplace for $10 - I Imagine this is a generic Asian tourist keepsake but I like the colours and the spunky little bird

Comments (26)

• robo (z6a)
    Original Author
    3 years ago

This is my only even close to modestly prominent artist (she is hung in NS art gallery). Love the domesticity and nostalgia of this watercolour, and the idea that a friend’s kitchen could merit this size instead of being relegated to a small size. This was painted in Japan by a N.S. artist.

I also have an eye for fine crafts eg needlepoint and quilts as I think traditionally “women’s” art and craft is very important.

• User
    3 years ago

I have a lot of Native American art. I’m posting these two women dying wool and winding wool prompted by @bbstx

• party_music50
    3 years ago

robo, I love the beach and street scenes!

Some of my originals....

This little painting always makes me smile. :)

And this one calms me:

Not in my house, but I love it -- this was a laugh for a friend's Florida house. :)

• bbstx
    3 years ago

Love those, trailrunner! I tried taking pictures of several of my favorites, but right now I’m getting a lot of reflection on the glass. I’ll try again later or tonight.

@robo (z6a) as you are looking for art, don’t forget neighborhood art fairs (when such things return).

• User
    3 years ago

I love seeing what others enjoy from the art world! All wonderful pieces above.

My collection is predominantly Native American/southwest, and these are in our master bedroom and bathroom.

This acrylic deserves a more complementary frame.

• ilikefriday
    3 years ago

I love this piece. I found it in the trash many years ago.

• Sueb20
    3 years ago

I have a ceramic/pottery addiction. I collect small covered ceramic boxes, some of which are on the mantle above. Here are a few more.

• User
    3 years ago

so much beautiful art!!! Here is my stairwell. The rug came from Santa Fe many years ago a shop on the main square. The five numbered silk screens are from Tewa , I knew the woman who owned the studio. She silk screened original local art work from the 40’s in her studio in Santa Fe. She was going to close the studio and contacted me so I could buy as many pieces as I wanted . I sort of went overboard!

• robo (z6a)
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thank you all so much for sharing some of your treasures! I just love seeing what different people enjoy and choose to hang, and it helps inform my still—nascent taste as well.

• jrb451
    3 years ago

Watercolors of birds. Laughing Cranes

Heron

• Fun2BHere
    3 years ago

I tend to like landscapes.

• User
    3 years ago

My latest painting came from an annual charity auction. The frame needs to be refinished and that's on my to-do list.

• 1929Spanish-GW
    3 years ago

This collage came to me (via the San Francisco Goodwill) at the exact time in my life that I needed to see it. It hangs next to my desk.

The artist is Kim Smith out of San Francisco.

adding a closeup

• cawaps
    3 years ago

I just tried to post and Houzz ate it. Here is a sample of my large collection of art.

• Oakley
    3 years ago

I'm going to post two pictures in this post and hopefully two more in the next one. Thanks Houzz!

These were made by my late MIL who traveled all over the USA for classes. I have about 14 framed pieces here, some that aren't framed, and DS has some too.

I had to take them off the wall due to bad lighting.

• Oakley
    3 years ago

I'll probably post more tomorrow. The picture of the fruit below is hanging in my utility room Found it at a Church thrift sale for a buck.

• yeonassky
    3 years ago

A favourite picture. Not an original but still love it.

• Lars
    3 years ago

The above are paintings that my brother did.
    The ones below are by a friend of mine:
    A large percentage of the art that we have is in storage, and so we rotate it from time to time. I have quite a few other paintings and ceramic pieces that friends of mine have done, plus a collection of tapestries from Teotitlán Del Valle, Oaxaca, and some African masks and bowls.

• rubyclaire
    3 years ago

Love seeing everyone's art. Here are a couple of my favorites from local artists:

• socks
    3 years ago

Just a mass market or production but I’ve always thought it was amusing.

• sas95
    3 years ago

Yeonassky, I love Boulanger. I have one of her prints, too.

• norar_il
    3 years ago

My art is pretty eclectic, but I've so enjoyed seeing what others have posted, I wanted to post some of my favorites.

The first is a photo I took of my neice and my granddaughter. that was "water colored".

The second is "Ichabod Crane" done in (I think) pastels by my great aunt about 100 years ago.

The third is by a Mexican street artist.

The fourth is another photo, but not altered.

The last is from a piece of very old sheet music -- close to 100 years old. I just loved the rooster strutting around with all the admiring hens.

Some look faded out when they really are not -- I had to get at angles to keep as much reflection off the pictures.

• norar_il
    3 years ago

Lars, your brother's paintings are such different styles. I just love the one of the men playing cards.

• Lars
    3 years ago

norar_il, that one is a double self portrait, and Kevin named it "Double Solitaire."

• Oakley
    3 years ago

I completely forgot about the biggie. The picture itself is off the wall because I'm getting ready to give it to DS1, so I copied the same picture from Etsy, almost identical 1920's frame.

When my dad died I found the picture which I'd never seen before. I asked his BFF about it and he said dad bought the picture because it reminded him of the hills in Virginia, where he grew up. It's a lithograph.

Hilltop, Maxfield Parrish, over 30" tall.

Below - I lost these girls about ten years ago within months apart. My heart was broken. Unbeknownst to me, DS2 found some old pictures and had a friend do a drawing at no cost.

Duchess (dog) and Rex (cat) It's high on the wall and kind of hard to get a good pic.

Sponsored
A.I.S. Renovations Ltd.
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars15 Reviews
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County