Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
atlnative

Recs for replacement floor color/tone

atlnative
3 years ago

Our lake house is in the Ga mountains. We had a water heater leak on the terrace level and so it's time to remove the carpet and put in new flooring with something more waterproof, sunproof, and kid/guest proof. We will likely do the second floor to address the linoleum in the kitchen, carpet and other linoleum at the entry. Because it would need to work well all over, I've included pictures from all around the house, including the two patios and deck.

All trim and doors are BM White Dove, walls are BM Edgecomb Gray, except for the entry hall which is BM Revere Pewter. On the terrace level, SM Samovar Silver is the accent color behind the pictures in the BR, and the BR chests are SW Mineral Gray. Upstairs, we have BM Woodlawn Blue in one BD, SW Gauntlet Gray for kitchen table, hall bathroom vanity is BM Silver. The second upstairs BD is White Dove, and actual bed is BW Great Green. Kitchen cabinets are White Dove, semi-gloss.

We've started researching/looking and have appointments with flooring companies but was interested to hear recs from anyone here about LVP cork, particularly. One company already said to avoid it for the terrace level, but another said it's fine. Thoughts?

My husband and I have talked about a concrete tile however it would be too cold and hard, plus I think

require a heating system for the floor as that level stays cooler. The terrace is 1100 sq feet.

We have the terrace level as a short-term rental, so getting rid of the carpet will also help with maintenance/cleanliness.

My primary question is what color would anyone recommend for the floor color -- grey, keep it light, or go darker, as in brown tones? As I mentioned, this would likely be done throughout the house so I am including pics of all the rooms, inside and out. Appreciate your thoughts.

Comments (21)

• atlnative
    Original Author
    3 years ago

I was leaning that way, having something darker, so thank you for your comments. I was also worried great would be too much. I was going to take the floor into both bathrooms as well. The counters could use an update in the bathrooms and in the kitchen, we just hadn’t gotten there yet. Welcome any suggestions you have on those if you’d like.

• atlnative
    Original Author
    3 years ago

*grey not great

• HU-187528210
    3 years ago

I would go as light as possible. Closest color to the natural wood look

• atlnative
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Hu-187528210 I’m not sure I understand as “natural wood” comes in so many colors light to dark. Can you show an example of what you mean?

• HU-187528210
    3 years ago

Sorry. Meaning something natural looking. Very light. It looks like your style here is beachy and light and airy. Dark wood is very pretty but I feel like it doesn’t match the vibe. This is what I was thinking

• atlnative
    Original Author
    3 years ago

The beach look isn’t what I’m going for. The prior owners had that and I’ve been trying to get away from it because we are in the GA/NC mountains. I don’t want the lodge look either. I think the light floor color is too light for me.

• HU-187528210
    3 years ago

Got you. Dark is nice to.

• HU-187528210
    3 years ago

Too

• deegw
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

What about a neutral mid tone wood look lvp? I would look for one that doesn't have a lot of pattern or grain so it doesn't end up looking like a striped floor. I would add a couple of generously sized patterned rugs to visually ground and define the seating areas.

https://www.mohawkflooring.com/luxury-vinyl-tile/detail/26496-253965/Perfect-Escape-Praline

Walnut mocha is pretty too.

• atlnative
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Dregs, thank you for those specific suggestions. I like them both. I know I’ll have to get some rugs once the floor goes down. Do you have any advice for a cork-backed LVP — for or against?

• atlnative
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Ugh, spell check — deegw

• deegw
    3 years ago

lol, sometimes I feel like the dregs! I don't have any advice about corked back floors, hopefully, a flooring professional will chime in. Advice and construction customs can very regional - what would work in AZ might be problematic in a more humid climate.

• SJ McCarthy
    3 years ago

Be careful of LVP. It does NOT like direct sunlight. It does not like "heat" of any kind. Before you go this route, you will need to find out how much UV protection the windows have. If they have around 70% UV block then LVP is a great option.

If you need 'in-floor heat' (I think that's what you were trying to say) on the terrace level then you are looking at a HUGE bill to add this to the building. Huge. Massive. It is possible the addition of in-floor radiant heat can add $10 (electric) to $25 (hydronic) per square foot. With a terrace level that's $10K - $25K MORE than what you would do naturally.

And then you really only want to work with stone, porcelain, ceramic, etc. Vinyl does NOT LIKE heat. It really doesn't. As in warps and discolours and fades and does nasty things inside of 1 year.

If you must have more warmth, then go ahead and add heated baseboards or upgrade your heating system (it sounds like this would be a good idea...if one section is too cold, it sounds like the system isn't working properly or isn't big enough or there are not enough vents). An upgraded HVAC system will cost less than in-floor radiant heat.

Personally I like a natural wood colour. Like a white oak without stain. I would use a bit of a sealant to add a snick more yellow/warmth (not the super pale blond shown above). You can work with a high-grade wood so that you do not have a rustic feel.

A natural/neutral wood floor is timeless - without being 'lodgy'. Palaces in Germany, Holland, France, etc all have natural wood floors. No stains. Nothing like that. Just wood with some finish on it.

• atlnative
    Original Author
    3 years ago

SJ — thank you for your comment. Sunlight is definitely an issue as we have lineoleum and carpet fading currently. And we were going toward LVP for waterproof, but will talk about the heating side based on your advice. We can add some 3M coating to help with UV for starters; these are older windows and doors.

One day I’d like to do a major renovation but can’t right now as we are currently renovating a small farmhouse.

Real wood isn’t really an option due to issues like the water heater.

• atlnative
    Original Author
    3 years ago

I had an online appointment with a Floor Decor designer in Atlanta and she had the list of all the colors in our lake house and I showed her via my laptop photo our place. These are the two colors she suggested: Midland Ridge: https://i1.adis.ws/i/flooranddecor/100698315_albion1119-floor-living_room?w=620&h=620&img404=404&v=1 and Ashen Oak: https://www.flooranddecor.com/rigid-core-luxury-vinyl-plank-and-tile/ashen-oak-rigid-core-luxury-vinyl-plank---cork-back-100109784.html. We will get some samples and be back here in a week or so and I'll post pictures. One of these is commercial grade and is rated for sunrooms...apparently there are some LVP that have concrete dust (?) incorporate and are 20 mil wear layer, which supposedly makes them appropriate for sunlite areas. Maybe that's just the sales pitch?

Tomorrow we have a local flooring company come by to also recommend/price. I will be interested to hear what he has to say.

• SJ McCarthy
    3 years ago

Check the installation instructions. You will see, somewhere in the first 2-4 pages (yah....you have a LOT of reading ahead of you). It will state something like, "Vinyl must be protected against full sunlight by using appropriate window dressings. Vinyl is known to discolour or fade in the presence of intense UV light". It will also something to the effect, "Home Interior living conditions must be kept between 60 F - 80 F. The floor should never be exposed to temperatures above 85 F."

The '85 F' is EXTREMELY COMMON for vinyl. It is SOOOOO common (how common SJ?), it is SOOO common that you will find this limitation in 98% of vinyl floors (as well as 90% of all other floors).

To test to see if your set up is viable, simply purchase an outdoor thermometer and place it in a patch of sunlight (in the space). Leave it there for 1 hour. Document how HOT that puddle of sunlight gets. If you are getting FADING with old vinyl and fabrics I can GUARANTEE vinyl will have ISSUES. Massive issues.

To stop the issues = new UV blocking windows and SERIOUS temperature control.

• mlejfer
    3 years ago

HU-187528210. Please give info on the light floor you had suggested I’m looking to do a Florida home with that look or gray floors

• HU-187528210
    3 years ago

I don’t have the model number or info but here are some pics. Show them to any flooring guy they’ll match it

• atlnative
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Hi all, it’s been a minute but I thought I’d post the updated pics. I went with Fortress Pine LVP. We also had windows replaced and tinted to address heat/UV transfer. We finished the floors in June and so far so good.

• deegw
    2 years ago

Gorgeous! The floors update the entire space. Excellent choice. Thanks for the update.

Sponsored
Trish Takacs Design
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars36 Reviews
Award Winning & Highly Skilled Kitchen & Bath Designer in Columbus