Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lisa_shaw9

ugly kitchen tiles- need paint color suggestions

Lisa Shaw
3 years ago

I need to paint my kitchen since my landlord patched with different color than was on the walls and I'd like to have some color other than the off-white/yellow that's there. The challenge is the 1950's tile and since we rent, we need to stick with it. Any suggestion on color combos for cabinets and walls? Tiles are a yellowish color and the accent is a reddish brown...

Comments (13)

• herbflavor
    3 years ago

For heavens sake don’t paint kitchen cabs in a rental . I hope I misunderstood. Pick a beautiful pale robins egg blue for the bit of wall .... different and pretty . Then get some floor mats or a runner with tans browns and blue. A durable washable paint even consider semi gloss. Ask to hang a long shelf above that work table w some brackets. Get the small stuff up onto the shelf .

Lisa Shaw thanked herbflavor
  • Lisa Shaw
    Original Author
    3 years ago

that's the whole reason we are painting...to put bracket shelves on that wall! My new air fryer is costing me a fortune :-). The cabinets are painted and chipped so we want to refresh. Rest of house is blue, gray, cream, wood and white so thought blue would be overkill.

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    3 years ago

I have to agree with Herb the blue would be nice and IMO painting those cabinets unless you have done many will probably look worse than what you have and if those dark samples are what you ar eplanning then for sure no. Change the lighting to LEDs 4000K that will help eliminate the yellow glow on everythingand get a pantry cabinet put it where ever it will fit in the whole space and get all that stuff off the counter including your new air fryer or at least do some closed cabinets on that wall the less eye clutter the better in this tiny space.

• apple_pie_order
    3 years ago

Have you tested the paint on the walls and cabinets for lead?

• jslazart
    3 years ago

I had that tile. I painted the kitchen a nice 50s blue, and I liked it a lot. And I painted the cabinets green (think greens that go well with wood countertops), maybe because I'm crazy.. and I liked that too. But I wouldn't do that in a rental.

• Lisa Shaw
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Why should we not paint the cabinets in a rental? Weve been living here 19 years and don’t plan on going anywhere. The paint is completely chipped and needs a refresher. I agree that we can’t go crazy with the colors though. Husband is leaning sage for the walls and cream for the cabinets (which is what they are now). It was oil based paint so the cabinets have been sanded and now it all needs to be primed And painted. Waiting on color selection...anyone have a good sage green they like? Seems the green goes pretty well with the tile And is more subtle than the bright blue.

• biondanonima (Zone 7a Hudson Valley)
    3 years ago

Since the appliances are white, I might paint the cabinets white as well. It's not an ideal combo with the tile but it would at least make the appliances blend a bit better. As for green, I would look at the historical color collections from Benjamin Moore, Sherwin Williams, etc. for inspiration - those colors tend to be very earthy and muted, which is what your space needs IMO. Something like SW Acanthus, BM Hancock Green or BM Sherwood Green.

• Gargamel
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

I’d look at wallpaper..the ones which are easily easily removable

• HU-508901346
    3 years ago

do you have any pictures in daylight? It is difficult to see colors properly at night... i always find it easiest to make color decisions based on the quality of daylight in the room.

• HU-508901346
    3 years ago

i.e. If the room faces north the light will be a cooler color and cooler paint colors will look better... while warmer does better in a south-facing room. also: remodelista.com has good articles on painting kitchen cabinets, and they are a lot of work but i think could totally be worth it if you do it carefully!