Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jshar2004

Advice on patio overhang support columns

jshar2004
10 years ago
These existing support columns in our patio for the overhang in our new old house. I think they look dated, but I have little idea how to cover/hide them.

There are 4 columns. The two on the far ends go into the ground. I don't want to remove these because it would be a lot of trouble (expensive) since it would require breaking the concrete and such. The other two columns end a few feet above the ground and have a cement tube providing the remainder of the base. What are some easy solutions to upgrade the look of these columns?

Can I use some 2x6 wood planks on both sides of the existing columns so the metal would be hidden and the columns would appear to be wood, which can then be painted to look nicer? That's really the only idea I have at the moment.

Comments (24)

• PRO
    Revolutionary Gardens
    10 years ago
    Are you in an area where you get snow?
    jshar2004 thanked Revolutionary Gardens
  • handymam
    10 years ago
    Honestly, I am not sure you should invest the time and money into fixing this if those 2 pieces of wood in the middle are having to support the roof, and you have two kinds of supports already...Still, the way to do it would be to create a box around each support and have them all be the same thicknes=the thickness of the one with the concrete bottom.
    jshar2004 thanked handymam
  • PRO
    DMH DESIGN
    10 years ago
    Revolutionary and Handymam make some vaild points. The existing awning has some limitations, beginning with the flat pitch, and the way that it is structured. I am unclear about the use of the sonotube under the short pot metal column--why? Was there a low CMU wall that you took out and then filled in the void with concrete? Aesthetically, even if you were to furr out the columns with p.t. wood and cedar or Redi-trim skins, the fact that you don't have any over hang to speak of will look contrived--as will the fact that ALL the columns would need to be built out at the base to emulate hiding the sonotube. I feel that you should have consulted an architect in your area to generate some design schemes prior to doing any demo. As is, I still suggest it, because the limitations of your efforts is likely the roof, and whatever you ultimately do, you'll want to make sure that your solution addresses the columns, the roof, and any engineering detailing relevant to your area. Happy Houzzing.
    jshar2004 thanked DMH DESIGN
  • jshar2004
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    There is no snow in my area (California Bay Area).

Handyman, yeah that seems to be the best bet. Just box in the current supports to make a new rectangle/square shaped column.

And DMH, yes you got it. There used to be kind of a brick wall that extended a few feet up in that area where the two middle columns had originally rested. The brick was removed and the form tube filled the void. Are you saying there is too much support for this overhang? It's made out of metal (not cloth) and I guess it's pretty heavy. Two of the sides are attached to the house, andthe other two are open, and the 4 columns are on one of the open sides. The overhang extends around 20' from each of the two walls of the house.

Thanks a lot guys for the advice!
  • jshar2004
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Also, the 2x4 pieces in the middle were put there when the concrete was filled in the two form tubes a week or two ago, to provide temporary support until the concrete dries. I just never bothered removing them yet.
  • PRO
    Revolutionary Gardens
    10 years ago
    It looked like CA (stucco house, shallow roof pitch on the blue house in the background) but it's hard to know for sure.

Here's the deal: you box out the metal supports and between the posts being right at the edge of the roof and the mass of the posts, the proportions are going to be really weird. The metal carport roof is going to look like a sheet of copy paper held up on paper towel tubes. IF it were my house and I were determined to keep the carport roof, here's what I'd do:
    - all the metal posts go
    - sawcut holes in the concrete for (2) posts (either wood or galvanized posts with trim boxing)
    - posts catch a beam (possibly exterior LVL) set under the roof so as to have at least a 12" overhang

I don't think you'd necessarily have to break the exisitng metal supports out of the concrete. Cut them as low as possible with a sawzall, then use a grinder to grind them flush with the concrete.
  • brickln
    10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago
    I can see trying to maintain an original detail of a house, but it loses something without the wall. Perhaps you can place posts between the columns and build a low, horizontal fence with louvers facing the yard. Paint it to match the wrought iron. You could box it in from the other side and cap it or grow trailing plants from containers on top. Try a makeshift one out of lattice and see how it looks.

An intimate urban back court garden · More Info
    jshar2004 thanked brickln
  • PRO
    Good Works
    10 years ago
    Sell that old thing for scrap and build a pretty wood structure!
    jshar2004 thanked Good Works
  • jshar2004
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Excellent suggestions. I will have to think about this.

As for the idea of getting a new awning, I always figured it was out of my budget. Also I never realized this current one I have could be 50 yrs old. Are there any options for good permanent awnings (possibly made of cloth or lightweight metal) that I can get for a few hundred bucks? It should cover a 20' x 20' area though so I don't think it would be that cheap.
  • PRO
    Revolutionary Gardens
    10 years ago
    If you just want a cloth shade cover, check out www.shadesails.com
  • handymam
    10 years ago
    Revolutionary Gardens, you beat me to it!

The shade sail will be a nice updated look until you can afford a nice pergola or covered awning. Get Ironwood Builders to do the job when you are ready to make a change!!
    jshar2004 thanked handymam
  • jshar2004
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Looks great thanks. I'm not specifically into cloth shades. I just want something cheap and waterproof. Right now if it rains, not a drop falls through the 400 sq ft awning. I'm thinking of putting patio furniture and maybe a bbq grill in this area.

But the shade sails do look very cool.
  • yoboseiyo
    10 years ago
    here's an idea ::

build out only the bottom of the columns to the size needed to cover the concrete.
    then uppers do as thinner rectangles. so instead of a big box the whole way up, it will be a thinner profile on the top, and won't interfere with the awning all that much. you could use a product like trex decking and mitre the edges to make it look like a nicely finished solid piece.

if that makes sense. i can draw a picture of what i mean, if needed.
    jshar2004 thanked yoboseiyo
  • jshar2004
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    sounds like a great idea. Aesthetically speaking, would all 4 columns have to have the built out bottom or can the side two remain as thinner rectangles while the middle two (the ones with concrete) have the built out bottom? They should all match I guess.

It looks like there are definitely some solutions to this problem but still not sure if I should replace with a cheap awning (i.e. shade sails) that may not need a column at all!
  • studio10001
    10 years ago
    Ironwood has generously solved your aesthetic and economical concerns to best effect: do a thing right and you'll do it once.
  • PRO
    DMH DESIGN
    10 years ago
    I agree with Studio10001-If you aren't wild about just having a pergola, perhaps you could use the frame to stretch a waterproof canvas, which will keep the rain off your furnishings, and allow light to pass through, without the expense of a roof.
  • handymam
    10 years ago
    jshar, if you don't do this right (all columns matching) it is still not going to look any better than what it now is, a hodge podge. The shade sails, by the way, are not a cheap awning if you have looked at the price of them...
  • brickln
    10 years ago
    jshar, how did it look when the brick was there? I assume it didn't extend the whole way or you wouldn't have 2 taller posts and 2 shorter ones. Was it a planter, just a wall? I've seen them used as the backwall of a planter on the outside of the carport.
    If you use wood to replicate what it was you should be fine. Heck, make it bar height and you'll have something to rest your drinks on when you entertain- just wrap around the two short posts and leave the rest open.
  • jshar2004
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    thanks guys.

I will look into covering the columns and will try to make it work. What kind of wood should I use for this?

Yeah I guess the shade sails are quite expensive for the size that I need. And I'd like something waterproof which adds to the price. Pergolas seem like they would be quite expensive too.

brickln - the newly cemented area that you see in the pic used to be dirt with some flowers. It extended maybe 4-5 feet on each side only. The brick wall was just a wall that divided the dirt area and patio from the rest of the yard.
  • brickln
    10 years ago
    T1-11 is an inexpensive route. Cover the grooves with molding for a less rough finish if that concerns you.
  • jshar2004
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    sounds good. I assume all the material is readily available at home depot?

Thanks
  • brickln
    10 years ago
    Si.
    10 years ago
    Just plant some ivy vines in the old posts and embrace it until you can replace all of it at the same time