Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
frank_laudone

Smokebush prunning

frank_laudone
3 years ago

During the summer I was interested in prunning my smokebush so it would be proportunate to itself. I was told to wait till the leaves fell that it would be easier to get advice on where to prune. The pictures that follow show the lopsided smokebush with no leaves. Hopefully now someone can guide me on how and when to prune this bush so it would grow more proportunate.
Saturn

Comments (31)

• laceyvail 6A, WV
    3 years ago

Prune in late winter, early spring.

frank_laudone thanked laceyvail 6A, WV
  • ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    3 years ago

no pix ... no reason not to start talking about it now ...

big city location might also help as to specific timing ...

ken

frank_laudone thanked ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
  • frank_laudone
    Original Author
    3 years ago

• frank_laudone
    Original Author
    3 years ago

• frank_laudone
    Original Author
    3 years ago

My state is R.I

• melle_sacto is hot and dry in CA Zone 9/
    3 years ago

It would probably help a lot if you would lable the main branches A, B etc so that we could see how the photos relate to each other.

You could also cut the whole thing down and let it start fresh!

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    3 years ago

looks like someone already pruned it at about 4 feet.. resulting in all its annual growth to trigger from last years cuts ...

it also look like its growing at about 3 to 4 feet per year ...

you should probably rejuvenate it.. by cutting it all down to about 6 inches or so ... and step back ... because that will trigger new branches that will probably grow to the annual 4 foot rate ...

and be proportional as you wish ... see if the links below might get get you where you want to go ...

you can not prune this at height .. as you already see the result

ken

https://duckduckgo.com/?t=ffnt&q=smokebush+rejuvenation+pruning&iax=videos&ia=videos

frank_laudone thanked ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
  • frank_laudone
    Original Author
    3 years ago

The Plant has never been pruned it grew sort of lopsided as shown in the picture. I was hoping just to prune it so it would grow more evenly. But I take it I cannot do that instead I should cut it down to 6 inches above the ground. Is this correct?

• frank_laudone
    Original Author
    3 years ago

And late winter is best time for cutting it back to the ground? Which could be March in RI. I just want to get it right. The videos helped a lot.

• pennlake
    3 years ago

You don't have to cut it to the ground, but you can. Alternatively, I count about a dozen branches sticking up you could just cut back to the same height. What variety is it and how big do you want it to be? Some people, or in colder zones the winter, cut them down annually. Or you can leave it be or do something in between. Smokebushes tend not to be the shapeliest things. If it's a large growing variety I would expect it go grown more than 4 feet tall after cutting it to the ground. Here, in MN where the cold kills them back most years, they can grow upwards of 6-8' tall once established.

frank_laudone thanked pennlake
  • indianagardengirl
    3 years ago

Is that Aruncus dioicus hanging out behind the smoke bush, GardenHo?

• frank_laudone
    Original Author
    3 years ago

So pennlake and everyone if I do cut just the dozen or so branches back that are high and leave the rest would I still get smoke blossoms on the branches that I do not cut??

Saturn

• GardenHo_MI_Z5
    3 years ago

Indiana girl yes, And looking pretty rough after just moving it.

Frank most likely yes. Just keep in mind that every cut you make, a gangly branch will shoot straight up from it. Probably won’t look very pleasing to the eye...

• frank_laudone
    Original Author
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

So overall I think I would be better off to cut it down to about a foot in early spring to get the best result and forfit the smoke blooms

Or leave it as is which is a little unsightly I think and maintain the blooms.

Saturn

• frank_laudone
    Original Author
    3 years ago

I would prefer to try to prune it as a tree for I have read as a shrub it can take over quickly. So would that mean cutting it to the ground to rejuvenate it. Do not want gangly branches

Saturn

• laceyvail 6A, WV
    3 years ago

What do you mean "can take over quickly."? It doesn't spread. It doesn't take over. Cutting to stubs gives a gorgeous flush of purple leaves and is the only way I'd ever have a purple smoke.

frank_laudone thanked laceyvail 6A, WV
  • frank_laudone
    Original Author
    3 years ago

By stubs you mean almost to the ground 6" -12 " above ground. The picture to follow shows the base of the smokebush plant

• frank_laudone
    Original Author
    3 years ago

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    3 years ago

IMO, this shrub rarely looks good trained as a tree....it goes against its natural growth habit. It does get to be a large, full shrub even with routine pruning/stooling so just allow adequately for the space it will fill. And I will also confirm that it does not spread or "take over".

You don't have to cut it back to 'stubs' if you do not wish to. Just pick a point somewhere along the structure that will provide a good framework for the new growth. I'd prune mine back annually to a point about 18-24" above the soil level and by the end of the season it would be somewhere around 6-8' tall and very full and quite dense. No 'smoke' (a feature I don't find particularly attractive anyway) but with very large and intensely colored leaves.

frank_laudone thanked gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
  • pennlake
    3 years ago

If you do a Google image search you will get a lot of pictures of the commonly offered varieties. Some show them bigger with 'smoke' and some that have been cut short and grown for foliage. I like the smoke on some varieties. Again there is really no right way or wrong way. If you want the bloom then try light pruning more to shape it. If after a couple years you don't like the way it looks cut it short and start over.

frank_laudone thanked pennlake
  • frank_laudone
    Original Author
    3 years ago

I would go by the advice of prunning to 18 - 24 inches. Others in this thread warned of gangly branches which I definitely want to stay away from. If cutting it back in late winter 18 -24 inches does will not create gangly branches I do like that idea.

• floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
    3 years ago

Gangly branches are inevitable with Cotinus. People cut the stems back to get larger more intense coloured foliage, not to shorten them per se.. As GG said you’ll get stems 6 - 8ft tall in the year after you cut back to 24”. But that’s what people are pruning for.

frank_laudone thanked floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
  • frank_laudone
    Original Author
    3 years ago

This is what I found pruning as a shrub. You can also prune to shape as well as to the ground as everyone has been telling me.

• sam_md
    3 years ago

The other option is to leave the smoktree unpruned and let it do what smoketrees do like these:

• woodyoak zone 5 southern Ont., Canada
    3 years ago

Taking Sam's point to an extreme.... The most impressive smoketree I've ever seen was at a hospital in Toronto. The pictures below were taken 10 years ago but I think it is still there. From what I can find, the buildings it is near were built /landscaped between the late 1950s and the early 1970s so that might give an idea of how old the smoketree in the pictures was.... So, if you plant one, it's not likely to get to this size in your tenure in a house, but if you buy a house with one already well established, it might be worth pruning it with the intent of seeing how big it might get!

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    3 years ago

woodyoak, is it possible that is a smoketree (Cotinus obovatus) rather than a smokebush (Cotinus coggygria)? An American native species arguably more cold tolerant than the Asian species and definitely much more tree-like in habit, as well as the potential for growing to twice the height.

• woodyoak zone 5 southern Ont., Canada
    3 years ago

gg48 - you’re probably right... I’ve see the bushes commonly called smoketrees but this one really was a tree! I took cuttings but they didn’t root - and I don’t really have a place to plant one but, whenever I see a smokebush, particularly a green one, the image that pops into my mind is the one in these pictures! I think they should be more widely planted, although they wouldn’t be very appropriate on many of the common small lots available these days.....

• melle_sacto is hot and dry in CA Zone 9/
    3 years ago

oooh gorgeous! I like them as standards. Is it a lot of maintenance to keep the smoke bush trained as a standard?

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

Since smokebush (Cotinus coggygria) is most often sold as a multi-stemmed shrub, you would need to get a very young one to train into a standard or tree form. Might be easier to just opt for the tree (Cotinus obovatus) to begin with :-)

• frank_laudone
    Original Author
    3 years ago

This is the same smokebush during the summer

Sponsored
Integrity Woodworking Inc
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Franklin County's Preferred Custom Cabinetry Professionals