Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_41522116

Garage Door Color

User
3 years ago

We are looking to paint this steel door that leads from the kitchen to the garage. The rest of our interior doors are stained wood. Our front steel door is painted SW Smoky Blue on the inside and out. What would you suggest for this door? Wall color is SW Twilight Grey and cabinets and trim are SW Alabaster.

Comments (11)

• tlbb
    3 years ago

Black

User thanked tlbb
  • Jacqui Naud
    3 years ago

I’d paint it the same color as the walls.

User thanked Jacqui Naud
  • Muriel Thompson
    3 years ago

Do you want a pop of color? It looks like you don’t have much color in the space, how about a nice pop of color in a shade you really love?

User thanked Muriel Thompson
  • mxk3 z5b_MI
    3 years ago

I'd go with same color as the cabinets so it blends in.

User thanked mxk3 z5b_MI
  • prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    3 years ago

I'd second the idea of painting it the color of the walls, and maybe paint the trim the same color too. That way the door will blend into the background. Most doors don't need to have attention drawn to them and this one would be one that doesn't. A bright color - any color in a white/neutral kitchen will draw your eye right to it.

User thanked prairiemoon2 z6b MA
  • Fori
    3 years ago

Cabinet color.

It's a door. It's not an embarrassing thing to be hidden. Everybody has one. Sometimes more. Yours is even in a style that absolutely goes with your cabinetry.

User thanked Fori
  • prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    3 years ago

Not my interpretation at all. Of course, a door is not an embarrassment, but it's not a design element either. It's utility.

• Jilly
    3 years ago

Cabinet color would look most balanced, I think.

User thanked Jilly
  • PRO
    JudyG Designs
    3 years ago

Paint the door and its trim the same color as the walls. You don’t want competition with paneled double doors, especially where garage door has a raised paneled look. Do it in the same finish as the walls, as well, for this look:

User thanked JudyG Designs
  • prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    3 years ago

And btw, it's only paint. Paint it one color and if you don't like it, paint it another color. I was on the fence about whether to paint my recessed radiator covers the color of the wall to blend them in, or the color to match the trim in the room. Painted them the color of the wall which was a very dark strong color vs. cream color on the trim and for a couple of weeks, I was thinking it was a mistake but then it did just what I wanted it to, it blended into the wall and you didn't notice them at all.