Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_11752378

Bathroom floor color help

Deanie Jo
3 years ago

I am renovating this master bath. It will have a very light gray (Behr Pixel White) vanity with LG Minuet top. Tub will be replaced with a walk-in shower. The shower walls are white porcelain Italian marble look. Can't decide on the floor between light gray tile with a hint of wood grain look or a medium-toned oak LVP. They both look good to me. Walls will be a soft green.

Any other suggestions?

Comments (19)

• Deanie Jo
    Original Author
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

Here's the floor tile, the LVP, and the shower wall tile. I need to stay away from white floors, since that's what I have now and it shows dirt badly. Also DH doesn't want a patterned floor or a dark floor. I know it is all white and sorta what I have now which is why I am considering the oak LVP. Shower floor is a herringbone medium gray. Thank you! Photos are showing with a pinky tone!

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    3 years ago

still a no. the flooring is too yellow and too brown in comparison to your other tile

what if you tried something w/a tad cooler, gray tone?

these are other coretec colors

what about something like this? Then you could do some wood shelving if you like

and reason for LVP and not a tile?

can't you do the same herringbone on the outside floor?

husband doesn't want a darker or patterned floor? a patterned floor will hide everything.

what's wrong w/this look?

Or what's wrong w/the solid gray, large hex tile?

• Deanie Jo
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thank you, Beth H! I've decided to eliminate the idea of LVP -- the only reason I was considering it was because I didn't like the look of wood-look tile. But you've convinced to scrap the idea of any kind of wood look on the floor. The gray-toned wood would go better but the tile you've shown me is much prettier. Can't thank you enough for keeping me from making a stupid oak decision. I still need something wood in there to warm the whole thing up. So I will put a teak bench in the shower. The shower you see will be a closet. No room for wood shelves in the bathroom that I can see. Any other ways to incorporate some warmth so the bathroom isn't so stark? Thought of a couple of wood-framed mirrors. Or is it OK to not have wood in there? Thank you!

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    3 years ago

IMO in this tiny bath the floor and shower walls should be the same tile and no wood loook at all. A nice 12 x24 porcelain tile in a gray would have worked for both make sure all the lighting is good and LEDs in 4000K too. Now do the floor oin the same tile as the shower in a small space less is definately more . Then a nice white wall hung vanity to make the space feel larger too.

Deanie Jo thanked Patricia Colwell Consulting
  • Deanie Jo
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Like your ideas, Patricia. I will def make sure about the LEDs. Doing all I can to make it look bigger. Do you like a light, soft green/gray wall color idea?

• ShadyWillowFarm
    3 years ago

Why not pt a warm color on the walls via art or paint or both? Then use those colors for towels, accessories, etc.

• Deanie Jo
    Original Author
    3 years ago

I am so new to this. I thought you weren't supposed to have warm walls with cool vanities and shower walls.

• AJCN
    3 years ago

Deanie,

Remember your old thread about what to do with the door to your new closet? You could bring in warmth and interest by the treatment of that space. Look at the pics people posted of interesting wooden and mirrored doors, and even consider demoing out the whole space and using an antique hutch, or have a built-in cabinet made by a local cabinet builder. A statement piece there would look beautiful. Light/neutral floors and shower tiles paired with a warmer/stained storage cabinet would look great. Or if you liked some of the mirrored pictures, do that. Make it special; that’s the first view you’ll get everytime you enter. I’m not a designer, but my designer friend told me that colors need a “friend” to “talk to” in a space. So if you put a teak bench in the shower, repeat stained wood somewhere else. It can be something big like the storage piece, or something smaller like vanity accessories.

• AJCN
    3 years ago

Wait til the end to choose paint. All your lighting needs to be done before you can accurately judge colors. I have SW Silverpoint in my bedroom. It’s a very light griege that looks light grey on the tiny paint swatch, but it looks soft grey-green on on my walls. Very soothing color. That’s an option, but wait til the end to choose.

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    3 years ago

it would be more helpful if we could see actual pictures of the tile, vanity, countertop, etc. There is no rush to pick a paint color. wait until these items are installed.

you still haven't answered my question. On the shower tile you're using, do they make it in a mosaic or smaller size?

Or, the tile you've picked for your shower floor, the herringbone, why can't you use that one for the floor outside the shower?

• Deanie Jo
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Houzz is having a hard time with my pics. Maybe they'll let me do one at a time. Beth H, I would rather not do a mosaic on the bathroom floor, too busy and grouty. I liked the cooler gray wood, but I have a sample like that and it just looked dull. Here's the shower wall. Hasn't got a mosaic, but I could probably find one.

• Deanie Jo
    Original Author
    3 years ago

The vanity painted one of these chip colors

• Deanie Jo
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Shower wall that I hope will be in soon! Been a couple months.

• Deanie Jo
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Shower wall plan B. They both have mosaics

• Deanie Jo
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Shower floor mosaic that I ordered but now wish I hadn't.

• Deanie Jo
    Original Author
    3 years ago

I know paint should go last, but my PM wants me to have everything picked out before he starts. He can't even start though, because neither the tile nor new window is in. We have a 5x4 foot south-facing window inside of the shower. I appreciate you guys!

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    3 years ago

Ok, so I would use the large shower tile for the shower floor. if they have the mosaic that matches the tile, why wouldn't you use that one? The herringbone is nice, but it looks completely different than the wall tile.

If the tile hasn't shipped to you yet, ask them if you can cancel and order the other mosaic.

For the regular floor, since you don't want grout lines, use the large wall tile on the floor.

Like this? thenmaybe you could do a 'rug inlay' of the same tile, but in the mosaic, in front of the vanity.

Otherwise, I'd pick a medium gray, larger floor tile.

what's wrong w/these? they match the gray in your tile and come in 10" sizes. Do he same grout color instead of white, and it will look great.

Basically you'll get this look:

Do the shower wall tiles come in a 4x12 or 4x16 size? If so, could you do a larger herringbone w/them?

you could also cut your 12x24 tiles into 6x12 sizes and make a border around the perimeter, do the other tile inside of it.

or lay the large 12x24 tiles, and do a rug inlay

• Deanie Jo
    Original Author
    3 years ago

The reason I didn't use the mosaic that came with it is because I was dumb, pure and simple. It was like "I don't like squares, blah blah." Herringbone is super-cool and the mosaic looked to me like a boring itty bitty square. I am probably going to cancel that, thank you. I like the large 12x24's on the bathroom floor -- I don't want any busyness. Thanks again, Beth. I appreciate your time and I hope your Thanksgiving was nice. You sure have good ideas!

Sponsored
Ramos Timber
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Westerville's Top Craftsman & Exceptional Quality Tile & Stone