Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mary_wetschka

I'm in love again! My 2020 reveal!

MinnesotaMary
3 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

My kitchen is pretty much done! I knew the holidays would get in the way of posting a reveal so decided to go ahead (waiting for kitchen dining chairs).

We had been considering updating our 23-year old kitchen for the past couple of years; in late 2019, we decided to pull the trigger. My first post here on Houzz was 12/30 and it has been an interesting 11 months. Doing a major renovation during a pandemic had its challenges.

So many people on Houzz gave me wonderful advice and were so generous with their time. Their input helped shape the end result.

Here is a link to my original post and very long thread:

https://www.houzz.com/discussions/5844585/i-want-to-fall-in-love-again-with-my-kitchen#26294683

THE DETAILS

Floors - Brazilian Cherry; sanded and stained DuraSeal Ebony; Bona Traffic HD, satin finish

Walls and ceiling - BM White dove

Cabinets - custom; local shop

Cabinet paint color - BM White Dove; island is cherry and has a custom stain to match floors

Hardware - Emtek Freestone in satin brass; 6-inch centers on uppers and 8- inch centers on lowers; appliance pulls for SZ are 18 inch centers (20 in actual length)

Sink - Kohler Whitehaven in Sea Salt

Faucet - Brizo Litze Angled in Luxe Gold

Garbage disposal air switch - Mountain Plumbing PVD Brushed Bronze

GD - Insinkerator Compact Pro

Countertop and backsplash in kitchen - Taj Mahal polished

Bar backsplash - Onyx and marble mosaic ONIM- 2542

Fridge - SubZero 42-inch Classic with flush install

Double Ovens - Bosch Benchmark - side door swing

Cooktop - Bosch Benchmark

Dishwasher - Miele

Microwave Drawer - Sharp

Beverage Fridge - Zephyr Preserv French door dual zone

Vent - VentAHood

Hood cover - custom painted

Lighting

Ceiling - Halo HLBSL 4 in. Color Selectable Canless Recessed Integrated LED

(You can select 2700, 3000 or 4000; mine are set at 3000)

Undercounter - InvisiLED Pro by WAC

Kitchen pendants - Sarnen Medium Pendant by Aerin

Fireplace sconces - Choisy Wall sconce by Currey and Company

GOAL #1 -LIGHTEN THE LOOK The first thing I wanted to improve was the dark look - everything was the same tone and it was just so dark. We considered painting the cabinets; they were in great shape and solid raised panel cherry. But I wanted more drawers and a less traditional look. We thought about refacing and re-configuring cabinets to drawers for better functionality but that was just as expensive as new cabinetry. And it would not solve the next problem - floor plan.

GOAL #2 - IMPROVE FLOOR PLAN There were layout issues - my cooktop, under - counter wall oven and fridge were bunched together on one short wall; I had a prep sink in the island right across from the main sink (I honestly don’t know whose decision that was 23 years ago!); the large microwave took up counter space I often used when entertaining and the desk was never used. There was also a support post that was, well, just there!

After a lot of discussion, we decided to start fresh and I convinced the husband that a white kitchen was a great solution to the dark. We kept the Brazilian cherry floors though sanded them down and stained them a rich walnut color. (I got a lot of info on how to go about that here on Houzz.) We are thrilled with the results - no more orange/red flooring. We had the new island stained to match the new floor color. So my husband’s desire for wood has been met with the flooring and island.

We repurposed all of our cabinets and appliances to our daughter and son-in-law. They are thrilled with their “new” kitchen and we can go visit our “old” kitchen any time. Win-win!

GOAL #3 - Design a space that flowed well with the surrounding areas - dining space, sunroom and family room. We didn’t intent to touch those areas but as you know, one thing leads to another. Since we plan to be in this home for the next 10 -15 years, we decided to renovate those areas as well.

Ok, here are some of the results! Again, thanks to all that offered ideas, advice and answered endless questions. I will post details in subsequent comments.

Comments (379)

• MinnesotaMary
    Original Author
    2 years ago

@Cheryl BKaun, I love the window! And yes, it is a Marvin vent window. Mine measures (including framing) 46.5 x 45.5. It comes with a screen but I have not installed it because I love the clear view and the light the window provides. I opened it a few inches in the spring for some fresh air but honestly, our summer has been so hot that I mostly run the AC.

We brought the window right down to the counter which I also love. And I had the base cabinets on that wall built at 27 deep. That allowed me a nice deep space behind the faucet and deeper pullouts below the sink and deeper drawer stack to the left of the DW. I went with 15 inch uppers throughout the kitchen L. Here are a couple of shots of the space behind the window.

• Cheryl BKaun
    2 years ago

Thanks so much, Mary! My window will be almost exactly the same dimensions but I have only 5 inches from the window to the edge of my countertop.

By the way, my contractor just called to say the wait for the Marvin Vent window is now 24 weeks. He mentioned several other options but I'm totally stuck on this window so I will wait. So cabinets back ordered 20 weeks and now the window 24. Sure I'm in for a bumpy renovation ride but know it will be worth it when it's completed.

Hope you are enjoying your stunning kitchen! You are so sweet for sharing all of this info.

Be well!

MinnesotaMary thanked Cheryl BKaun
  • MinnesotaMary
    Original Author
    2 years ago

@Cheryl BKaun, Hi! I wanted to correct something. I have the Marvin Ultimate Awning window, NOT the Vent window. My sister does have the Vent window and she gets very little airflow so I decided it wasn't worth it. My contractor highly recommended the Awning window which can be opened a foot or so but as I said earlier in the thread, it has a full screen. (He has the same window so I went by his experience.)

My experience has been that if I open the window about 6 inches without the screen in, I get a nice amount of air, much more than my sister does with her Vent Marvin. I don't leave it open all day or anything as we have mosquitoes, flies, etc. I do enjoy the clear view so have not put the screen in.

Just wanted to clarify and let you know the difference. Here is a YouTube video that shows both windows and how they operate. Hope this helps!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xHdgGMvY0Z8

• Cheryl BKaun
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

Thank you for that video! I'm actually now considering the Ultimate Casement window because I love that I can easily clean the outside. It's always bothered me that I can't clean the outside of my current double casement window like all of my other windows. Having a crystal clear window above my sink will make me happy--lol! I will leave out the screen because I just don't open it much. During the holidays, when I do a lot of cooking, I will pop it in.

Now back to the contractor to see the wait time for the casement window.

Again, super appreciated!

• Cheryl BKaun
    2 years ago

So going with the Marvin Ultimate Casement window. Contractor says still 24-26 weeks.

• MinnesotaMary
    Original Author
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

@Cheryl BKaun, Wow, I can't believe the lead times on everything. I guess 2020 messed up more than our way of life. Glad you figured out which window will work best for you! Just remember, the casement windows only go to 40 inches wide.

• Cheryl BKaun
    2 years ago

2020 sure did mess up every single thing! Yes on the 40 inches. So our current window is 38 inches square but with the molding approx 46 inches(4 inches on each side). Had hoped to max that 46 inches. Instead, we will do the 40 inch without the molding. I'll get to see the snow clearly from my window by the time the window is placed but again, worth the wait!

• Snbtwins
    2 years ago

@MinnesotaMary Hi again. Trying to figure out placement of my recessed lights. Are your lights on the sink run 24" out from the wall? My electrician thinks I should center the lights in the aisle but I am reading they should be at the counter edge. TIA!

• MinnesotaMary
    Original Author
    2 years ago

@Snbtwins, mine are centered on the edge of the counter. My sink run cabinets are actually 27" deep so the lights are spaced accordingly - about 27"/at the counter's edge. Hope that helps!

• Snbtwins
    2 years ago

@MinnesotaMary you are so helpful. Thank you so much!

• Snbtwins
    2 years ago

@MinnesotaMary Hi again. Do you remember how much reveal you did on your sink, did you follow the Kohler template? TIA!

• MinnesotaMary
    Original Author
    2 years ago

@Snbtwins Hello! I did a 3/4 inch reveal on the Whitehaven and I don't think my installers used the template. I originally thought I wanted a one-inch reveal but my contractor was a bit uncomfortable with it so I settled on the 3/4 inch. I'm very happy with it. I can still straddle the sink with an adjustable colander and the reveal is easy to keep clean. Hope your project is going smoothly!

• Snbtwins
    2 years ago

@MinnesotaMary Thank you so much. Project going okay, some minor issues along the way. But all the cabinets are in and counter layout happening tomorrow. Can't wait until this is done. I need to decide my hardware lengths soon, I am ready for decisions to end!

• Design2 girl
    2 years ago

Your kitchen choices and finished project are just impeccable. I love it all! And especially how you transformed that kitchen desk area into such a useful yet beautiful space. Thanks for all the details, I am making notes! Love it all.

MinnesotaMary thanked Design2 girl
  • MinnesotaMary
    Original Author
    2 years ago

@Design2 girl, thanks! That desk transformation is one of my favorite things in the kitchen. It's pretty and functional which is the ultimate goal for me. That space was used by my kids growing up (we had the desktop computer there) but had gone unused for several years after we became empty nesters and started using laptops or tablets. Now, it is used all of the time and houses wine and cocktail glasses, barware, placemats, napkins, party ware and all of the alcohol! I love the dual beverage cooler. It keeps my red wine at the right temp and DH uses the right side for beer and my white wine. Guests gravitate there for drinks and snacks which keeps them out of my work space. Win win!

• PRO
    FrameMyMirror
    2 years ago

Looks absolutely stunning!! Such an amazing transformation to your space.

MinnesotaMary thanked FrameMyMirror
  • Kathy Furt
    2 years ago

MM: in what part of MN do you live? I have tons of relatives there, was born there. Your kitchen is beautiful. I have that same floor plan but with a counter and was thinking of doing an island when we remodel next summer. Just gorgeous!! Yours, not mine LOL

MinnesotaMary thanked Kathy Furt
  • decoenthusiaste
    2 years ago

A+

MinnesotaMary thanked decoenthusiaste
  • MinnesotaMary
    Original Author
    2 years ago

@Kathy Furt, thank you! We live in the south metro area. I was born in St. Paul and moved out of the city 40 years ago. Love Minnesota - but not its winters so head much further south for that season!

• PRO
    Corner Renovation
    2 years ago

I loved every part of your kitchen remodeling - now it seems to be brighter and more modern.

MinnesotaMary thanked Corner Renovation
  • Kathy Furt
    2 years ago

Yes that’s nice. My grandparents used to winter in Palm Springs, my aunt has a house in Arizona. My dad hated those winters! We loved them. We moved in 1963, the day Kennedy was assassinated! Have you heard of Lake Alexander, Long Lake? The best people !!

• PRO
    Badeloft
    2 years ago

looks amazing!

• PRO
    PRM Custom Builders
    2 years ago

Hard work pays off. I saw this project a while back, these updates are insane, congratulations on your new spaces!

MinnesotaMary thanked PRM Custom Builders
  • MinnesotaMary
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Thank you! Here we are a year later, and I still smile every day at what we accomplished.

• cwcf185
    2 years ago

@MinnesotaMary Your new kitchen is beautiful, as was your old kitchen!

MinnesotaMary thanked cwcf185
  • felizlady
    2 years ago

Fresh, bright and gorgeous….you did well, MinnesotaMary. I have one minor suggestion……have the trees (seen from your new over-sink window) trimmed to open up the view more.

MinnesotaMary thanked felizlady
  • PRO
    Wallsauce
    2 years ago

Amazing transformation! It's so much brighter and more modern, fab job!

MinnesotaMary thanked Wallsauce
  • jeanieolson
    2 years ago

Looks fabulous! Great work and thanks for sharing!

MinnesotaMary thanked jeanieolson
  • PRO
    Evolution Group
    2 years ago

It looks beautiful!

MinnesotaMary thanked Evolution Group
  • venexiano
    last year

@MinnesotaMary, when you say the Zhephyr cooler is not great for beer bottles what do you mean? Dont they fit on the right part of the fridge, standing vertical?

• MinnesotaMary
    Original Author
    last year

@venexiano, it depends on the height of the beer bottles. When my DH stores Corona, for example, we need to remove one of the shelves if he wants to store more than 8. Here is a photo that shows the space when I remove a shelf. This gives us 2 full shelves that will accommodate 16 tall bottles of beer.

When I have all of the shelves in - and I need to space them to accommodate the taller bottles, it looks like this:

In this scenario, we would have room on the top shelf for canned beer - about 8 cans - but right now I have white wine stored there. The bottom shelf is probably only good for wine bottles as it has a ridged surface. One also has to be somewhat careful when pulling out a full shelf of beer bottles as the shelves don't slide as smoothly as the wine shelves/left side. I do love the unit and it has worked well for us. Hope that helps!

• Cheryl BKaun
    last year

Hi Mary--I noticed your counter overhang was 1 3/8 inches. Does this account for the cabinet doors? The overhang over your micro looks to be approx 1/2 an inch in these photos. I would like our counters to have a similar look.

We have the full overlay cabinets and the same micro on the island. We met with the fabricator(Imperial Danby-honed is the material) today and discussed 5/8 inch overhang beyond the cabinet doors.

Your kitchen has been the source of much inspiration for many--including myself. Your willingness to share your project details and answer these questions is so appreciated!

Thanks so much!

• MinnesotaMary
    Original Author
    last year

@Cheryl BKaun, thanks for your note of appreciation! My 1 3/8 inch overhang is from the face frame. So if you add the 3/4-inch cabinet door, it gives you a 5/8 overhang beyond the door. Sounds like you and the fabricator have it figured out. Continued good luck on you project!

• Cheryl BKaun
    last year

@MinnesotaMary

You're the BEST, Mary!

I'll be sure to post photos when our kitchen is completed. Looking forward to that day!

MinnesotaMary thanked Cheryl BKaun
  • blfenton
    last year

I haven't seen this reveal and the biggest impact for me are your newly stained floors and your redesigned fireplace. That fireplace is just simply gorgeous.

MinnesotaMary thanked blfenton
  • PRO
    OTM Designs & Remodeling Inc.
    last year

Looks great !

MinnesotaMary thanked OTM Designs & Remodeling Inc.
  • PRO
    FrameMyMirror
    last year

What a transformation! Looks fantastic!

MinnesotaMary thanked FrameMyMirror
  • cupofkindnessgw
    last year

The kitchen desk to beverage center is my favorite part of your stunning renovation. What a show stopper! The backsplash tile is fabulous!

MinnesotaMary thanked cupofkindnessgw
  • mulchmaid
    6 months ago

Just WOW! This is such a transformation. I applaude your design sense and choices. Such a gorgeous update!!

• Rachel
    5 months ago
    last modified: 5 months ago

@Minnesota Mary, you may remember that I have the same Visual Comfort Pendants as you. Unfortunately, this week one of my light bulbs went out. I'm probably going to have to hire a handyman to change the bulbs as it is quite the operaton! So I'm on my step ladder trying to figure this out, and I notice that the pendants have grease on them. I guess my cleaning people don't do these. So I look up how to clean them on the Visual Comfort website and it says to use a dry microfibre cloth. Of course this isn't going to do it. So I'm writing you today to ask if you've clean them and what product you used. Were you successful? I tried a small drop of vinegar with water and that didn't even begin to cut through the grease. OY! Any help you can provide would be so appreciated. Thank you.

• MinnesotaMary
    Original Author
    5 months ago

Hi Rachel! I have not washed my lights yet but would try a microfiber cloth dampened with warm water and a couple drops of Dawn. That usually works well on grease for me. Now you have nudged me - I might have to get the ladder out!

• Elizabeth Ann
    5 months ago

You were good to post updates and before-and-after pictures on your transforming kitchen redo. The details were thoughtful for you to include and will answer many questions. I’ll bet lots of kitchen renovators will be looking for that info! Thank you for being such a considerate member of the HOUZZ community.

MinnesotaMary thanked Elizabeth Ann
  • PRO
    Flo Mangan
    5 months ago

Looks SOOOO good!! Hard to believe it’s the same kitchen. Well done! Love it.

• jmaxwellmaxwell
    5 months ago

Beautiful transformation! Well done.

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    5 months ago
    last modified: 5 months ago

Clean these with a well wrung out /hot Norwex cloth

this one. Super hot water, no detergent necessary. Rinse , wring repeat if needed.Shouldn't take more than twice. It's all I ever use.

They are very unlike all other micros/ and anti microbial /bacterial as well.

Worth every penny.

If grease is on your lights? It's on your hood......and wherever else too. Do the same process : )

https://www.amazon.com/Norwex-002372-Enviro-Cloth-Graphite/dp/B01DE1WBA8/ref=asc_df_B01DE1WBA8/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=309748512677&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=16094913927265891447&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9005590&hvtargid=pla-570918671021&psc=1&mcid=fe1dcae57d5e31b7ac2ffd3b01f8334f&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIvI_87_ffggMVDvzICh1p1QAdEAQYAyABEgI_YfD_BwE

• Rachel
    5 months ago

Thank you, Jan.

• Design2 girl
    7 days ago

@MinnesotaMary I just circled back and wanted to say this is absolutely fabulous work. I love all your gorgeous details and choices. Beautiful kitchen and home.

MinnesotaMary thanked Design2 girl
  • grewa002
    7 days ago

Minnesota Mary, you have my favorite transformation on houzz! now that you have lived in the kitchen for a few years, is there anything you would have done differently? And how donyou like the microwave drawer compared to a countertop one?

MinnesotaMary thanked grewa002
  • mmc429
    7 days ago

Thank you for taking the Before & After photos from the same angles!

• MinnesotaMary
    Original Author
    7 days ago

@Design2 girl, aw, thanks so much! I loved doing this project and owe a lot of thanks to the Houzz community. The end results were worth all the planning.

@grewa002, wow, thanks! That is high praise considering all the beautiful renovations we have seen on Houzz over the years. I wouldn't change a thing. Everything functions so well and my kitchen and renovated space makes me smile every day. We love love love the micro drawer. It is easy to use, stays out of the way and I find it very easy to clean. AND I don't miss it on the counter. In the previous kitchen, I would lug that thing into the laundry room whenever I was entertaining so I had more counter space. Nope, don't miss it one bit!