Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
karibyrne

Help with window placement in master suite in cabin addition

karibyrne
3 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

Help!! We are doing an addition to our cabin and I'm going crazy trying to figure out how I can get two windows on the right bottom side of the cabin(lake is on the top). I don't have much flexibility with the placement of the stairs. The latest drawing that was done doesn't work as closet too big and bathroom too small. The elevation photo is from an old draft so windows are different but either one doesn't work for me. I really need symmetry but hard to get without putting a window in the closet. The closet does not have to be a walk in closet and for the bathroom I would prefer a shower at least 48 x 40 and a double vanity

I am working with a kitchen designer...... but hoping to do long row of cabinets/oven/fridge on wall to the left of other bedroom with a long island. Also hoping I can use the space below the higher part of the stairs for l-shaped banquette. There would be 4 foot of wall that slopes under the stairs but the "knee" wall would be 54" so hoping it will work.

Thanks in advance for any input

Comments (15)

• karibyrne
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Floor plan

• Nancy in Mich
    3 years ago

Folks usually enjoy solving these dilemmas. Lets see if commenting and sending it back to the top gets you some attention.

• karibyrne
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thanks Nancy - that was sweet of you. I am now considering moving the dormer as far right as I can and using some of the ceiling height so I can do a straight run of stairs

• cpartist
    3 years ago

First of all a closet should never be on an outside corner wall.

Which direction is the lake in the 2D floor plan?

• cpartist
    3 years ago

Also what does the original 2D floor plan before the addition look like?

• karibyrne
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Here is an exterior photo. In the floor plan the lake is on the top. I can only add 200 square feet within a certain distance of the water

• K H
    3 years ago

This is really rough but I'm picturing a traditional craftsman stair with a window at the landing. The window wouldn't have to be a horizontal one like in this inspiration picture but a more traditional sized window. You would still want it to be a shorter counter height window to match the one in the bathroom. also to prevent falling into the window as you come down the stairs.

• karibyrne
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Why should you not have a closet at the end? I was hoping to keep plumbing closer to existing cabin and line up with bathroom on the second floor

• cpartist
    3 years ago

I like your idea for the staircase. What about doing reach in closed cabinet closets along the wall with the door to the bedroom and extend the bathroom so it's longer and narrower?

• karibyrne
    Original Author
    3 years ago

I wanted to keep the plumbing off the exterior wall and it seems weird to not have the vanity there. I'll draw it out and see how it looks

• K H
    3 years ago

@karibyrne I guess I don't understand what you mean by no vanity. The vanity I drew is next to the toilet as you walk in the room. The rectangle with the circle in it. The window drawn in for the staircase would be symmetrical with the window in the bathroom. Like I said, sketch was pretty rough. I'll try again with some graph paper today. Do you have the length and width of the overall addition. I think that would help so the drawing is more to scale.

• karibyrne
    Original Author
    3 years ago

I was responding to other suggestion for making bathroom longer. The measurements are in the floor plan.

• cpartist
    3 years ago

• K H
    3 years ago

I like @cpartist sunny bathroom. Here is another stab at it. You could put closet storage under the stair or put built in closets surrounding the double window and have a lovely window seat.

I didn't draw those in but this is what the built in closets would look like.

• karibyrne
    Original Author
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

Thank you so much. Lots to think about. I have so many cut out toilets, vanities and stairs. I do know that the stairs at the bottom with a straight run won't work as the roof is 12/12 pitch on the second floor so I have to "land" closer to the middle.