Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hollybond

Is this house haunted? Needing help with curb appeal...

Holly Bond
3 years ago

Help! Besides cutting down that dead tree in front, what would you do to make this house not look haunted?

Comments (29)

• Holly Bond
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thank you so much! You nailed it, it has been vacant forever years. We are hoping to get it and breath some life and love into it. What about shutters? Would you do shutters?

• Molly D. Zone4B
    3 years ago

How do people come to the door? Walk thru the grass or is there an entrance on the other side?

• acm
    3 years ago

You can't really have shutters on the double windows on the left, so you'd be looking at just the one over the porch, or maybe that plus the two on the right, and I'm not sure I'd bother. You could bulk up the framing to make the windows feel a bit more substantial. But I'd focus on color and plants for a while and then re-evaluate.

• Holly Bond
    Original Author
    3 years ago

We would make a stone path to the front door, currently they have to walk up the steps at the right side of the picture.

• Holly Bond
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Ahhh yes the shutters won’t work. But wider trim around the windows with windows boxes would work!!

• einportlandor
    3 years ago

I'd replace the entry steps with something more sturdy-looking. Add railings, too. Then I'd add some skirting around the deck. I think if you make the porch appear more substantial it will help tremendously.

Good to hear you're adding a pathway to the front door -- don't make it too narrow, and maybe let it meander a bit. A few large, bright pots of plants on the porch and some inviting furniture will add a welcoming feel. Can't see your light fixtures but beefing those up, along with other hardware -- doorbell, kick plate, etc. -- might be worth considering.

Last, but hardly least, come up with a landscaping plan that you can create over time. Good luck with your beautiful new home, Holly!

• Holly Bond
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Houzz is my favourite community and this is why. Everyone is so helpful and respectful! Thank you einportlandor for the meandering path idea! We will know in 3 hours if we get this house, fingers crossed!!!

• chloebud
    3 years ago

Let us know, Holly. I agree with the comments here. Looks like a great house!

• decoenthusiaste
    3 years ago

Hope you get it! What condition is the roof in? I would paint a cheerful color that works with the roof color (or the new roof) and enlarge the window trim and paint it white. Then a pop of something fun for the front door. I'd want to add a bit more interest with the railing.

Exteriors · More Info

That Blue House · More Info

Porch and Exterior Mouldings Design and Colors · More Info

Traditional Exterior · More Info

• HU-187528210
    3 years ago

Omg. 🤞🤞🤞
    Depending on the style your after. There are so many options with this house. And I totally see the potential. You can either go with farm vibes. ( my fave lol) paint the house white. Black trim. Beef up the porch with nice cedar wood. Add some board and baton. And then I’d do some herringbone brick for a walkway. If you wanted something more craftsman maybe go with navy and some cedar shake siding somewhere. The options are sooo endless so narrow down your style for us

• HU-187528210
    3 years ago

*Us

• Holly Bond
    Original Author
    3 years ago

We got it!!!! Oh my god we just found out!!

• Holly Bond
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Wait til you all see the inside!! Lol

• decoenthusiaste
    3 years ago

Congratulations! Has it been properly inspected? Urgent issues first; cosmetic can wait! Plan and dream about the outside and what you can do there next spring (especially with plants.) If it has stood there all this time, one more season won't hurt it.

• s y
    3 years ago

How exciting- looks like great potential

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    3 years ago

I think this is agreat house but slow down and make sure all the stuff you do inside is working for your life.You have a clean slate so maybe if possible get a interior designer who has kitchen design abilities too since this will be quite overwheming to get right.

• Holly Bond
    Original Author
    3 years ago

I can’t thank you all enough honestly. Thank you for your wisdom. I will slow down, work on the outside in the spring, and do the things that need to be done first. I will also hire someone to help us lay out the kitchen so we get it right. You are all awesome!!!

• Holly Bond
    Original Author
    3 years ago

We got the house!!! So now I need to figure out what color front door...all I can come up with is black...anyone have any other thoughts? Happy New Year!!

• HU-187528210
    3 years ago

CONGRATULATIONS 🎉🎈🎊!! So exciting!! What vibe are you after? Do you like modern? Transitional? Farm? Boho?....?

• Holly Bond
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Hey HU!!! Happy New Year! We are thinking to love as much toward modern farmhouse as possible...

• HU-187528210
    3 years ago

To you too!! 🥂
    Wanna paint it white with black trim? Brown wood door? Beef up the trim new railing. New lighting (lantern style) maybe a brick walkway

• Holly Bond
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Yes!!! Can I paint vinyl? I have been looking at wood doors so we are on the same page! When you refer to trim do you mean around the windows? What about black shutters? Definitely new beefier posts and railing...white I think. And a brick walkway leading from the driveway going in on the left hand side...

• Holly Bond
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Oh one question, may sound silly but what does a lantern style look like? One of these?

• HU-187528210
    3 years ago

Yes I mean around the windows. But you probably cannot paint vinyl lol. In general I don’t like shutters unless they’re on round windows with round shutters. Very specific I know but the squared ones tend to be small and misplaced. Yes lantern lights can be any of those. The second one is more lanterny but they’re both perfect for your style

• Holly Bond
    Original Author
    3 years ago

You are the best!! If I can’t paint the vinyl, is there a trim color that would go with this bland color? You have been so helpful, thanks so much!!!

• HU-187528210
    3 years ago

Of course!!
    Probably just stay white but paint it to freshen up. Do you not want to redo the gray? It’s fine to leave it but I was picturing a white base with black trim. It’s a big project and totally fine to wait a bit on that part

• Holly Bond
    Original Author
    3 years ago

I agree. I will do the outside during the winter and then tackle the outside. But I only see white with black accents. I’ll post it when we are done!!! I can’t thank you enough. 🤗

• happyleg
    3 years ago

Yes u can paint vinyl. Paint a bold door; yellow or lime green, orange, sky blue. I love the inside! Is that nook area the dining?

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!