Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
3katz4me

What can I make with Meyer lemons?

3katz4me
3 years ago

I needed one lemon the other day but they had a bag of beautiful Meyer lemons (I've never had one) at Aldi so I bought it. I used the one lemon I needed and another one for Meyer Lemon Chicken Piccata - a recipe that conveniently showed up in a MyRecipes email after I bought them. I still have quite a few left and looking for ideas on what to make.

Comments (18)

• tannatonk23_fl_z9a
    3 years ago

Lemonade! Bars and cookies come to mind.

I also like to freeze the juice in ice cube trays and then empty into a freezer bag for cooking when I just need a couple tablespoons of fresh lemon juice.

• maddielee
    3 years ago

Curd, then spread it on everything!

• cawaps
    3 years ago

You can substitute Meyer lemons for regular lemons, though they are milder and less acidic. I slice Meyer lemons (rind and all) and cook them with onions and chicken and serve over couscous, garnished with kalamata olives.

• Bunny
    3 years ago

cawaps, recipe please.

• nutsaboutplants
    3 years ago

A neighbor makes limoncello. My friend freezes the juice in small ziplock bags. I cut them up and pickle them in brine to use as a relish throughout the year (cook them briefly in salt, add more salt and let them marinate for a couple of days and refrigerate in containers).

• Fori
    3 years ago

You can freeze them whole if pre-juicing is too much work. Wash, dry, freeze. Thaw before use and don't expect the rind to be good for zesting due to mushiness, but if your neighbor gives you a giant bag of lemons you gotta do what you gotta do.

Lemon brownies are very good--there's a recipe that floats around on the cooking forum. Easy and guaranteed to be eaten before the fancier offerings at the dessert table. Use extra lemon zest for more power. https://www.gardenweb.com/discussions/2453349/may-i-pretty-please-have-the-lemon-brownie-recipe

• 3katz4me
    Original Author
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

Okay - I should have been more specific. Do you have any good lemony recipes you can recommend that would help me use up my lemon supply?

• sealavender
    3 years ago

Meyer lemon marmalade

• tannatonk23_fl_z9a
    3 years ago

I’ve made this lemon pie before and it was very good. Lots of other recipes linked in this blog.

https://tidymom.net/meyer-lemon-pie/

• texanjana
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

Mine are almost ripe. I make lemon curd and pie.

• lascatx
    3 years ago

Do you do any canning -- or do you want to learn? Meyer Lemon Marmalade is really good -- like a slightly tart lemonade. The recipe we made is very easy -- removing the seeds, thinly slicing or chopping up the fruit. The only trick is a hot water bath for preserving, but that is not hard. If you have a large stockpot or a pasta pot with the mesh basket you can do small batch canning. Let me know if that is something you would like to try and I will find the recipe.

• Tina Marie
    3 years ago

Ooooh I'm thinking of a luscious lemon pound-cake . . .

• 3katz4me
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Sorry lascatx - no interest in canning.... I've been reading about curd and wondering if I'd use it up. Never made lemon bars but I've wanted to so maybe that is a good option though I'd hate to eat a whole pan of bars which would probably happen. I don't have enough for the pie. I found a recipe for pasta with lemon and dungeness crab but it's rich and creamy which DH doesn't like. Worst case I guess I will freeze them so they don't go to waste.

• daisychain Zn3b
    3 years ago

This summer, I started making a citrus drink in the Vitamix. I'd peel and seed a whole lemon and a mandarin orange and then throw them in the blender with maybe a dozen ice-cubes and 1/2 cup of sugar (or more if you like it sweeter). Top up with water and blend away. It was sooooo good. I think I might go make one now.

• Fori
    3 years ago

Lemon meringue pie?

Mmmmmmarmelade...yes, canning is a PITA but you can freeze it instead of canning it.

• Bunny
    3 years ago

Lemon bars are divine. They are rich and the lemon is a nice foil for that. If you can share them then you won't have to eat them all.

• raee_gw zone 5b-6a Ohio
    3 years ago

Juice them and store either in your fridge in a tightly sealed jar, or in your freezer. I like to add lemon to a variety of recipes, such as my mixed bean soup and chicken soups (both spicy and not), couscous with olive oil, garlic and lemon (works with pasta too, especially with added seafood or chicken), apple dishes, tuna salad, coleslaw, as part of a light dressing for vegetables or salad. Even can add a teaspoon or so to biscuits or pancakes without them becoming really lemon flavored - it makes them more tender just as sour cream would. Anything where you like a bit of brightening up of the flavor.

And you can make your own lemon & honey throat remedy too.

• cawaps
    3 years ago

Bunny, there's not much to the recipe. I brown the chicken, throw sliced onions and Meyer lemons on top, cover, and simmer until everything is cooked. Then I throw in sliced Kalamata olives, and serve the whole thing over couscous. It's not written down anywhere, so the proportions are pretty much whatever I feel is right in the moment. One onion, two lemons, a pound or two of chicken (I've done with skin and without, thighs or breasts), maybe 1/2 cup of olives?

Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022