Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
alterkylee

What do I do with this brick wall/fireplace?!

alterkylee
10 years ago
I would love some advice on how to approach this large brick wall/fireplace. I know it can be a great asset, but right now it's a complete eyesore. I'm looking to have a custom mantle built that would be situated over the actual fireplace. This way, we can find a piece of art and cover up the electrical box (the people before hung a TV over the fireplace). But, otherwise, I'm not sure how to handle the rest of the brick wall and ledge. Any ideas you have would be great. Thanks!

Comments (14)

• Livia Silva
    10 years ago
    I think you should pick a soft white a paint the whole thing white, and on the right hand side make done built in shelving and put decorative pieces on the shelves :)
  • Snaggy
    10 years ago
    I painted my brick fireplace cream ...looks a lot better and makes the room lighter
  • Nancy Travisinteriors
    10 years ago
    Add big art over firepl in a sea scrape. Add a floor mirror on wall to side of FP. Tall 6 ft in a black thick frame. Just lean on wall should be 36" wide. Can secure with a hook n wire on back to wall. Add bright pillows to chair and sofa.
  • Nancy Travisinteriors
    10 years ago
    Big 36 or 40" square coffee table in dark wood. Add coffee table books and a tray with orchids fake in white to table.
  • Nancy Travisinteriors
    10 years ago
    Take away all small items in room. Add sofa table behind sofa. Fill with pots and candles and plants.
  • fzgctm
    10 years ago
    I have a full brick wall as well. Adding a mantel shelf, art above the fireplace (I did a mirror which brightened it up as well), and building shelves to the right of the fireplace all break up the full wall. I can now appreciate it in its natural color instead of painting it.
  • abbyjean
    10 years ago
    I like fzgctm's comment as I like brick natural, too. Shelves will break it up, but once the brush touches the brick, there is no turning back.
  • andiandy
    10 years ago
    I like the white wash idea..also you can trowel concrete (stucco look) over the brick and paint it like these photos. We have a fireplace almost exactly like this and are going to "stucco" it. I am not exactly sure what product to use, I am sure any home center store could tell you. Also, I agree, put some much bigger accessories to balance out the huge brick wall.
  • Nancy Travisinteriors
    10 years ago
    Like the stucco look for sure.
  • alterkylee
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Thanks to all who commented. We may give the whitewashing a try! (even though I do love the stucco images above.) And I totally agree with the suggestion to add some shelving on the right-hand side of the fireplace. We always knew the brown sofa in the picture did not have appropriate scale for the room, so since this picture was taken, we purchased a much larger sofa & chair and a half from Crate and Barrel (Axis line).

What are people's thoughts re: rugs on top of carpet?
  • PRO
    Old English Fireplace Benches
    10 years ago
    A "club fender" would add lots of interest, extra seating and function. The bench seat would overlap the ledge, come out about 18 inches and then span the width of the firebox. Have it made in black wrought iron (not brass). Also you could affix iron shelving and/or over time you might collect artistic iron pieces and mount them on the brick wall.
  • feeny
    10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago
    Honestly, I like the minimalism of the brick wall as it is. If it were mine I'd get rid of the electric box, clean the brick, and add some substantial (but not cluttered) pieces of artistic pottery on the hearth ledge. If that seems too little, at most I'd add a very minimalist natural wood mantel across much of the wall, with just a few pieces placed on the right to balance the fireplace.
  • David Richard
    9 years ago
    Look this gallery, http://www.omegamantels.com/gallery.php they do a lot of fireplace face lift