Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
andrea_dubois59

What should I put here?

A D
3 years ago

We have these shelves at the end of our kitchen island and I'm at a loss as to what put on them. I am not a cookbook person - I'd rather just look up recipes online than have the clutter of cookbooks.

I really don't like what I have there now - just kind of threw things in there when we moved in.

Any ideas? And altering the island is not an option.

Comments (20)

• Carrie B
    3 years ago

I'm always sniffly, so I'd have a box of tissues there. Also: Notepad for shopping lists & writing utensils, maybe hand lotion, candles...

• PRO
    MDLN
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

wine bottles, deep bowls, toaster or other large appliance, baskets, or just leave empty

• jewelisfabulous
    3 years ago

Stacks of platters, baskets of handy items...

• userLA57
    3 years ago

Wine cooler! :)

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    3 years ago

Looks fine how you have it arranged in Pic 2. Doesn't look cluttered.

my open shelving in the island became a catch all for all sorts of stuff. so glad I made it into drawers.

• sevengeckos
    3 years ago

Since the shelves are open, they are apt to collect dust. I would use them for items that have frequent turnover, and that can be pulled out and put back easily. Hot pads, oven gloves, serving trays, dish towels, drying mats, boxes of aluminum foil or plastic wrap, placemats, napkins. It depends on what you use on a daily basis, and the proximity of these shelves to other areas in your kitchen or dining room.

• decormyhomepls
    3 years ago

Basket on one shelf for kitchen towels, oven mitts. Another shelf for toaster (we use ours about once a week so I don’t leave it on counter). Although you don’t use cookbooks, they do look nice on shelves in a kitchen.

• A D
    Original Author
    3 years ago

I would love to turn one of them into a wine cooler, but unfortunately they are way too shallow for that.

• A D
    Original Author
    3 years ago

I decided to look at back at the listing photos from when we bought the house and it looks like she had some bowls, etc. Maybe I will try that!

• Jilly
    3 years ago

Bowls was going to be my suggestion, too. I love displaying my vintage ones. :)

• calidesign
    3 years ago

Think of it as a functional space, not just a space for accessories. Large bowls are a good idea, or pitchers. Anything fairly large that you use and can easily pull out when needed. You could also look for baskets that fit the shelves so you could use it for smaller items like placements and napkins.

• erinsean
    3 years ago

My shelves are shallow so have photos of grands, and various small roosters, which I collect and even a small plant that gets lots of light.

• chloebud
    3 years ago

I think what you have looks nice, along with the listing photo.

• wilson853
    3 years ago

How about some baskets for potatoes and onions? You could either just set them on the shelf or add the runners so that they pull out. Google the John Boos baskets at Sur La Table. Hafele sells a similar basket.

https://www.build.com/hafele-540-55-001/s248750?uid=1587944

• lucky998877
    3 years ago

I would do tall baskets that hide what is in them, lower 2 shelves. Bandaids and 1st aid in one, and batteries and "junk" in another one (I always have to have a junk drawer, cannot live without it). Can you fit a cake stand or something rarely used but pretty on the top shelf?

• decormyhomepls
    3 years ago

Look at what this looks like.

A D thanked decormyhomepls
  • Andrea
    3 years ago

i would turn it into drawers.

• A D
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Really have no desire to do any modifications like add drawers. Besides, I have no clue where the cabinets came from as we are not the original owners to the house.

• traci_from_seattle
    3 years ago

I would put my Dutch oven collection there.

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    3 years ago

do you have pets? you could make it a feeding station

Sponsored
Buckeye Basements, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars31 Reviews
Central Ohio's Basement Finishing ExpertsBest Of Houzz '13-'21