Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gw_oakley

Our winter greenhouse garden, and Succulent lovers, need help

Oakley
3 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

I swiped a couple of succulents from DH that were in the greenhouse and I need help identifying them. I'll clip the old bloom off. The pot on the left is pretty big and the plants are decent sized. That's Callieco checking them out and trying to get a free rub on her cheek. Shye weighs a ton. :)

I owe the garden to my new DIL. She spends a great deal of time in the greenhouse and I didn't see one dead plant when I took pictures. She makes the best salads too, bags them up and delivers them to us.

My back is to the fenced in backyard and house, facing the greenhouse, and DS's house is on the far right, up the hill. Just a fraction of limbs from the storm which are being cut into firewood.

Yum. Lots of lettuce and cabbage.

Various herbs and some type of hot peppers below the bench.

Tomatoes galore! Oh, and beets. Ick.

ETA, it didn't post all the pictures, so I'll do it now in another reply.

Comments (21)

• Oakley
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Will try to do one picture at a time. Thx, Houzz.

• Fori
    3 years ago

Well, that is a glorious spread! You are very lucky, especially with family nearby to share in it (and work it).

But....succulents? I think everybody would be better served by a pot of catnip. "Everybody". :)

• Oakley
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Fori, my cats never would play with home grown catnip, but sure would with a toy from Walmart. lol.

I'll get that cabbage, herbs, etc. posted even if I die of old age trying.

• User
    3 years ago

Beautiful !! what a feast ...I love BEETS !! Send some please :)

• mtnrdredux_gw
    3 years ago

Lucky you! Fabulous.

• Oakley
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Is it my pc or Houzz that won't let me post more pictures right Now? This happens often cuss word!

Mtn, on the right front of the greenhouse, DH built a pretty rock patio/porch with grass between the rocks. He keeps it looking superb. The rock path out our backdoor with grass? He forgets. lol

• Oakley
    Original Author
    3 years ago

DH said the succulent on the left is Hen and Chicks, which he planted by seed. He has a lot of them and I thought he bought the plants. Good job, DH!

The plant on the right is tiny and puts out pink flowers. It looks like it trails. Anyone remotely familiar with it?

• czarinalex
    3 years ago

What a great setup. Is the greenhouse heated solely by the sun all winter?

• Oakley
    Original Author
    3 years ago

BB, it's not a string of pearls, they open into tiny rosettes.

Czar, it's mostly heated by sun but we do have a couple of heaters for those frigid days and nights. Unfortunately, it's hotter than hades in the summer, even with the doors and vents open and we don't cool it, so only super heat loving plants can grow, or seeds.

Still can't get a picture to post. I really want to show everyone our cabbage.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    3 years ago

Sweet set up!

• User
    3 years ago

@Oakley can you show the patio you mentioned with the grass growing between the stones? When you can get it to post pics. TIA

• OutsidePlaying
    3 years ago

Very nice setup, Oakley.

The succulent on the right could be Crassula rupestris (Baby’s necklace), or maybe String of bananas, which is a little bit similar to String of Pearls.

• Oakley
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Trail, i'll try to get a pic later when I'm feeling better. I'm on day 4 with a low grade fever because I have a tooth abscess and the dentist won't see me in person until Jan. 6th after the antibiotics have worked. Covid, you never know.

Dear Lord the pain. Have any of you had an abscess before? I thought I've suffered every dental pain out there, until this. The dentist gave me only 8 pain pills, Lortab low dose..woo.. and it took two of them plus 2 tylenol and 2 ibuprophen to make the pain stop 30 min. later and for only an hour.

Outside, Crassula sounds familiar and I do think they grow like an Ivy. Thanks!

• nutsaboutplants
    3 years ago

Wow, it all looks so luscious! Lucky you.

Oakley thanked nutsaboutplants
  • Oakley
    Original Author
    3 years ago

I've been looking at varieties of Crassula for the past hour. Do you know there are hundreds of them? I can't find the one I have but it's definitely a Crassula. Thanks so much!

I did a cabbage topic where one of the pictures did come through.

• User
    3 years ago

@Oakley im so sorry!! I’ve never had dental pain . I hope as the antibiotics work the pain will diminish

• Oakley
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Lucky you, as I also sarcastically say to DH and my sons who never had dental pain either. lol Here's hoping!

• Oakley
    Original Author
    3 years ago

I'm going to take a couple more pictures. The picture of the full inside greenhouse didn't post either.

I did a cabbage topic and was able to load just two cabbages, not the long rows of it.

Houzz, get with the program!

• Oakley
    Original Author
    3 years ago

I'm going to take a couple more pictures. The picture of the full inside greenhouse didn't post either.

I did a cabbage topic and was able to load just two cabbages, not the long rows of it.

Houzz, get with the program!