Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
carolyn_billings

Cracked Blanco Silgranit undermount sink !

Cas B
3 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

Had a bespoke kitchen fitted two years ago and came down at New Year to find our white Silgranit undermount sink had cracked completely underneath from the drain right across and up the side. Cant believe it. Not even sure how we are going to get out and replace without breaking the quartz. Blanco guarantee not worth the paper it’s written on and not offering any help to sort out. Meanwhile I have no Kitchen sink and a very expensive problem. Has anyone else had a problem with this sink ? I chose because they are meant to be indestructible and supposedly a 25 year guarantee but ours has always been well treated and has had nothing dropped on it. I’m worried now that when we can get replaced the same thing may happen again.

Comments (15)

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    3 years ago

Here's a cracked, leaking, and fading composite Blanco and here's its Blanco stainless steel replacement in the same cutout:

The reveals are off a poo, but who cares? Two hour job at the most, plumbing included; no top endangerment.

Picture with dimensions please.

• krystalmoon2009
    3 years ago

I have had a granite composite sink for at least 12 years with no issues besides fading due to anthracite color, mineral oil takes care of that. It was I believe a pegasus branding at Home Depot so not sure who was actual manufacturer

• Little bee James
    3 years ago

We moved into a house that has a black Blanko sink and according to previous owners it was two years old. The sink is extremely faded and looked awful when we moved in. I want to change to a stainless and spoke to a counter company who can install a new one without damaging the counter.

• Roberta Long
    3 years ago

I have this same sink - the 1 3/4 low divide from Blanco - I hate it because it constantly needs cleaning, everything stains it. I also don't like that one side has disposal, one does not.

So I can fit this in the same opening? How hard is the replacement-in-place? I have a very good plumber friend but not sure about detaching/attaching the sinks - do I need a granite person for that?

Also - any chance the staining/spots are under warranty and I can get them to fund the replacement?

I also have a Precis 20-inch sink that has the same issues.

Thanks for any ideas!

Roberta

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    3 years ago

"So I can fit this in the same opening?"

Yes. Closely enough. Nobody's gonna know the reveals are off a poo:

"How hard is the replacement-in-place?"

Not very, but I do this professionally. Smack it with a hammer; they bust right out. Starting in a rear corner, drive a scraper between the bottom of the stone and the remaining sink flange. If it's siliconed, it will fail easily, if it's epoxied, which is rare, you'll have to chew your way around with a grinder (PIA).

"I have a very good plumber friend but not sure about detaching/attaching the sinks - do I need a granite person for that?"

No, but insist that the new sink be strapped, not clipped or blocked, in place please. It's not only better, it's much faster. Your plumber friend will thank you. With that drain configuration, I used a Hercules Universal Sink Harness (BB Industries) on the pictured stainless steel.

• artsllc
    last year

I have a Blanco Silgranite sink which has long cracks on the bowls and up the sides. Blanco Warranty staff initially responded quickly with a request for more photos which I sent. I have not heard back. I sent a second request with the case number and still have not heard from the company. What to do to get a response? It was installed 5 years ago and I doubt they have the same model and it is an undermount. The extra expense of removing this sink and installing a new one is very costly, especially if a new counter is required.

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    last year

It isn't "very costly". Replacing an undermount sink is a half day job at most, drive time and plumbing included. A new counter or removal of existing is never required. I do this professionally.

Post a picture of your Blanco please.

• triciamoran1
    last year

We bought our place in July & ilove the metallic grey siligranite sink they already installed. so much i ordered another one for wine bar area we are renovating. it is besutiful, so easy to clean and says it doesn’t scratch, so far so good. i inspected the new bar sink one i ordered and it had a crack on the bottom, along with stuck on, what looks like mud, but probably hard siligranite. i called Blanco and they said to return it. maybe i got this wrong, but i think he said return it because if u install it and it leaks the warrantyi is void, so hopefully i misunderstood him. But i ordered another, because i love my original one and will see what happens. i know that is probably not much help but thought i would share good luck

• Nichole Stewart
    9 months ago

I’m trying to figure out if our sink can come out from underneath or if our quartz has to be removed? Countertop guy won’t guarantee the quartz won’t break, but this thread has given me hope that maybe it doesn’t even need to come off?

Our crack just keeps growing. 😣

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    9 months ago

Nichole:

Take a hammer to your sink; it will break out nicely. The quartz isn't going to break. The cabinet front is removed, the new sink strapped in place, and the cabinet front reinstalled. Under no circumstances is the countertop removed. I've done your job hundreds of times.

Here it is with a cutout change:

• Nichole Stewart
    9 months ago

Thank you, Joseph! After the sink is out, we put the new one in through the bottom, correct? We’re going to tackle it on our own because our plumber and countertop guy both seem scared to do it.

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    9 months ago

Correct.

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    9 months ago

Use a Hercules Universal Sink Harness from BB Industries please.

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    9 months ago

That sink will dunk in that cutout; you won't have to remove the cabinet front. Cut the drain lines if you have to.

Beat the sink out and drive a stiff scraper between the remaining flange and the stone bottom. Scrape the stone bottom. Install the HUSH, dunk the sink, and clamp it loosly in place with a bar clamp through a 2x4 and the drain hole. Silicone the flange, gently tighted the clamp, check the reveals, tighten the HUSH, pull the clamp, and clean up the silicone squeeze-out.