What brand of seed starting mix do you use to

bellarosa
3 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

start your seeds indoors? Thanks!

Comments (21)

• party_music50
    3 years ago

I don't use "seed starting mix" -- I use Pro-Mix HP (high porosity => extra perlite) potting mix.

• zen_man
    3 years ago

I also use Pro-Mix for starting and growing seeds indoors.

• Patti Chicago Zone 5b/6a
    3 years ago

Can I ask why you don’t use a seed starter? I have a couple bags of Hoffman brand and a couple bags of Jiffy. I also ordered a large bag of purple cow brand too. I was going to mix them all and add a bit of perlite to it all. Pro mix is not found locally but many folks here seem to like that brand the best. Is it a nice light mix that is good for seedlings?

• lgteacher
    3 years ago

You could also use 1/2 perlite and 1/2 peat for seed starting. I use whatever is on sale.

• zen_man
    3 years ago

Hi Patti,

" Pro mix is not found locally but many folks here seem to like that brand the best. Is it a nice light mix that is good for seedlings? "

I use ProMix as a seed starter because my zinnia seeds are fairly large and I can just hand-shred some of the ProMix to cover them with. If I were starting small seeds like Petunias I would purchase some Seed Starter.

ZM

3 years ago

@zen_man - I am sorry if i was not clear but I do have a few different brands of seed starting media. The ones I mentioned above are seed starter mixes. I wish Promix was found locally in Chicago because it gets many good reviews. We have enough miracle grow potting soils found around at many stores, that is for sure. I will just do what I was thinking to do and mix all of the different ones together and add a bit more perlite to the mix. I always use seed starter to start with. It is so much lighter than any other potting media. Thanks for helping out. Next year I will look for the Promix hp and order it. I can get it online but it is expensive. I understand that the start of life needs to have the best conditions so I hope to do better next year with Promix. I hope the ones I have will work well with the extra perlite.

@bellarose - what type of media do you use for your wintersowing? I use a seed starting mix. I am afraid to use a heavy potting soil. Last year we had such a wet spring that I had to add more drainage to my containers. I will add a bit extra perlite to help with drainage this year. I am just about ready to put some jugs out. The prep work is a pain for me with my arthritis. I bought myself a lightweight drill to help with all that work. Good luck with your indoor growing.

• zen_man
    3 years ago

Hi Patti,

" I wish Promix was found locally in Chicago because it gets many good reviews. "

You could use this Pro-Mix Store Locator (that is a clickable link to the Web page containing the store locator). I live in a rural Kansas location, but we have more than one Pro-Mix store with 50 miles of us. Our roads are pretty good, so that takes us only about an hour to get to a store with the Pro-Mix. You can always call ahead to the store to verify that they have it in stock, and hold what you want until you can get to the store. In the Spring some stores that aren't Pro-Mix retailers will have some in stock for a few weeks (Home Depot has been such a store like that in the past). It comes in two forms, loose in smaller plastic bags, and compressed in larger plastic covered bales. Since a round trip takes us a couple of hours, we purchase several bales to have a supply on-hand for a year or more.

Pro-Mix comes in a variety of formulations, as you can see from this Pro-Mix Product Catalog.

ZM (not associated with any product or vendor mentioned or linked)

3 years ago

@zenman - I have done the store locator and there is nothing close enough for me. If I ever get a chance to go I will definitely call to check the stock. I care for my husband who had a stroke and is paralyzed on half his of body so I can’t get out for a long drive. They sell it on Amazon but it is not cheap. I will remember for next year when I am preparing for seeds. Thank you for the suggestion and your advice. I will definitely try it if I can manage the cost. This COVID virus 🦠 has slowed my work so that means less pay. I will be trying my best to get all my flowers and veggies 🍅 grown from seed this year. I have done the sowing method for the last few years since the stroke. I did ok last year but I want to be better. I have many more things to start. Thanks again for the time to help.

• bellarosa
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Hi Patti, I am also interested in purchasing Pro-Mix. I did find it at our local Menards, but it was the potting mix, not the seed starting mix, so I didn't purchase it. In the past, I've used Miracle Grow. Germination was ok - I probably should have watered the seedlings more on days when we didn't have any snow and/or rain. I'm hoping to do better this year. As for drainage holes, I use my husband's power drill. I love it - so quick and easy!!

3 years ago

@bellarosa - I am going to try to get the Promix HP next year. I think it will help for wintersowing. I have already purchased all my seed starting mix for this year. I've never had a problem with my containers drying out. We have wet springs so this year I drilled a few extra holes on the sides of the jugs. My husband's drill was too heavy for me so I purchased a drill that weighs 2 pounds. It is a cute little dewalt. lol! I would have bought the promix potting mix if I saw it. It seems the entire line of promix products work well for folks. You could use it on the plants when planting them out in containers or your window boxes. Miracle grow is all they ever have near me and so I add to it to decrease the amount of water it holds.

bellarosa thanked Patti Chicago Zone 5b/6a
  • bellarosa
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Patti, good luck with your WS containers. I prepped mine over the weekend and just like you mentioned, I added extra holes (slits, really) on the sides of the jugs. BTW, did you get a pink drill? I did see those on Amazon. They're lighter - I guess it's pink 'cause it's targeted to ladies - what will they think of next?! LOL. Happy sowing! :-)

3 years ago

I did not get a pink drill - haha! I did the slits with a razor on some jugs and some jugs I did drill holes. I we see what does the best for next year. Good luck with your indoor seed starting project, your wintersowing and finding the Promix HP. It will sure be on my mind next year before my seed starting begins. I know I won't be happy unless I find it and try it for wintersowing. I do not have any other way to start seeds so finding the best media to start with sounds like the best plan to me.

• mxk3 z5b_MI
    3 years ago

I use a potting mix from a local nursery that is a blend of peat and perlite. Have been using it for, oh 20-something years. Works perfectly. I do use Jiffy Pellets to start some things then transplant on to the potting mix, while other seeds I start directly in the potting mix, just depends what the seed is.

• bellarosa
    Original Author
    3 years ago

I just bought the Burpees organic seed starting mix, but have never used it before. Great to hear that you've had good results.

• ginjj
    3 years ago

I have this product also but have been afraid to use it because of the peat moss. I've read many times over the years that peat moss may not stay moist even if moistened well prior to using. Where I bought it they said they sell it to folks who use it for getting seeds started, so I suppose if you keep a close eye on it and not let it dry out while growing, it could be ok. But then say you put it in the ground, are we to assume that the small amount of peat even if it dries is so small it won't matter?

• User
    3 years ago

I too use Burpees organic seed starting mix (95% coco coir).

It stays moist longer than peat but doesn't get so soggy either.

This last time (mid January) I had to re-plant for some failed seeds, I covered the tray with saran wrap for about a week, then uncovered the tray. Within a few days, the seeds (Thuja o.) were popping up already.

I didn't have to water right away either (almost a week), even with the fans 'on', so that helped reduce the chances of 'damping off'.

I think this will be my 'go to' mix for starting seeds from now on.

Seeds @14 days in 3 oz. cups of coir.

:o)

bellarosa thanked User
  • HU-731099709
    3 years ago

I've had excellent luck for years mixing jiffy with a little extra vermiculite

bellarosa thanked HU-731099709
  • bellarosa
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Bill, thanks for posting a pic. I just started a few hardy annual seeds using the same Burpee mix. First time using this mix. Happy to see that you've had germination so quickly!

• User
    3 years ago

YW.

This isn't the first time I've used the burpee coco coir and have tried quite a few other things since that first time. Seeds sprouted okay in some of the others but then seemed to struggle and the watering regiment wasn't as predictable either. There may be other methods/mixes that work just as well and that's okay with me. The coco coir is so clean to work with too (not dusty). I've used it right out of the bag and with added perlite (15%?) but didn't notice any difference that way.

I set more seeds yesterday and watered down with a 5% H2O2 to water formula, which is what I've been doing for some time.