Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
worthyfromgardenweb

A hundred bottles of wine on the wall...

worthy
3 years ago

I've been noticing this feature more and more on upscale new spec builds in our area. Is it really a feature for contemporary homebuyers?

(All that mead and Greenwich Village sangria in university in the last century was enough for me this lifetime!)

Comments (21)

• Lindsey_CA
    3 years ago

We have in the vicinity of 1,000 bottles of wine, the vast majority of which are kept in a controlled (temp and humidity) environment. Good wine gets better with proper cellaring. I don't know if the two examples you've shown would seal properly to maintain temp and humidity, so they may not be for a serious wine drinker.

worthy thanked Lindsey_CA
  • susan49417
    3 years ago

Hideous looking

worthy thanked susan49417
  • Design Girl
    3 years ago

Another thing for the millennials. Good God, that's awful.

worthy thanked Design Girl
  • Aphaea
    3 years ago

If you are a serious wine collector you probably already have a properly controlled wine cellar. If you are not, it's ridiculous. I laughed out loud at this craziness.

worthy thanked Aphaea
  • PRO
    Jeffrey R. Grenz, General Contractor
    3 years ago

Its been a hot item in high end model homes for awhile. I've seen closets full of $200 designer jeans that would be better off in the wine room than the wine.

worthy thanked Jeffrey R. Grenz, General Contractor
  • chispa
    3 years ago

It has been trending in Los Angeles for at least 10 years and you see it in new construction and some remodels. If you really have wine worth storing, you probably want it stored in a more inconspicuous place! I see it as something for those who think they are wine connoisseurs and want to show off to their friends and visitors! Would not be a selling point for me and I would have to figure out the cost to remove when making an offer.

worthy thanked chispa
  • worthy
    Original Author
    3 years ago

It has been trending in Los Angeles for at least 10 years

Took awhile to come east (and north)! Since it has no appeal for genuine oenophiles, I'll cross it off the list. Maybe I'll just provide an electrical receptacle for a wine cooler

• edenchild
    3 years ago

There was a similar wine cellar - 3 out of 4 walls were to be glass - on the original plans for our current home. This was in a south/west facing open plan kitchen/dining room/great room with lots of large windows. The potential temperature and light issues Mark mentioned above convinced us to move the wine cellar to a basement corner location with two exterior walls, insulation only on the “warm” sides and externally vented temperature/ humidity controls. Our wine is very comfortable there and is staying very drinkable which I suspect wouldn’t be the case with the original plan.

I think the type of wine cellar pictured is more to impress your friends than to preserve your wine so it really depends on why you are storing wine.

worthy thanked edenchild
  • bluemarble
    3 years ago

That's hilarious, Mark Bischak.

Maybe they drink a couple of bottles a day, so it never has time to go bad!

worthy thanked bluemarble
  • lizziesma
    3 years ago

Looks like a local restaurant in my town...glass, really?!

worthy thanked lizziesma
  • PRO
    Mark Bischak, Architect
    3 years ago

The Niagara on the Lake area produces some wonderful wines.

worthy thanked Mark Bischak, Architect
  • suedonim75
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

The first one looks as though it’s supposed to be liquor cabinet, not so much a “wine cellar”.

worthy thanked suedonim75
  • grapefruit1_ar
    3 years ago

It is as silly as having the walls lined with shelves of Oreos! I have never understood booze being on display. When I was growing up people tried to hide it.

worthy thanked grapefruit1_ar
  • PRO
    Mark Bischak, Architect
    3 years ago

I don't think it is silly at all to have the walls lined with shelves of Oreos as long as there is enough milk near by.

worthy thanked Mark Bischak, Architect
  • ocotillaks
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

@Mark Bischak, Architect Thank you for the good laugh. Things around Paisano's Roost have been a bit heavy. It's a bit too early for my morning mug of chai.

worthy thanked ocotillaks
  • Holly Stockley
    3 years ago

Now I want a kitchen with an Oreo pantry and a milk refrigerator.

worthy thanked Holly Stockley
  • PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    3 years ago

ME too. IMO this is kind of the same as mcmansion homes built to impress others but not for real living. I think wine needs to be stored properly and ideally in a space not in direct light and really the wine is for your enjoyment and your guests and part of the fun is going to the cellar to find that perfect bottle for dinner.

• Looki Lu
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

This is the new version of the wine grotto and it’s starting to pop up in remodels and new construction where i live (texas). We’re planning on converting our old dining room built-in china hutch to a wet bar with fridge, bar sink and pretty stemware storage/display. My mother-in-law is a bit taken aback because to her “it‘s just not done” in a formal dining room. She’s going to flip out when we tell her we‘re turning the rest of the dining room into a bar/wine lounge inspired by our favorite hotel.

worthy thanked Looki Lu
  • bpath
    2 years ago

I missed this thread the first time around! Love it!

worthy thanked bpath
  • worthy
    Original Author
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

As per Mark, here's the "candy wall" on the $70 million mansion of Minecraft creator Markus Persson.

And his wine room