Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
countrygirl2323

UPDATE: Need opinions on 2 (Mixing quartzite and granite)

countrygirl2323
3 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

Updated below, but essentially can I mix the Glacier Wave Quartzite (pic #5) with the honed Nero Mist granite? Updated pics and more details on pics in new post below.

I think quartzite might win my kitchen countertop battle. However, in the interest of budget, I was considering doing the quartzite on the island only and a more solid colored material on the perimeter (something like a solid gray quartz or Nero mist granite (pretty much VA mist)). A couple other considerations:

1. The perimeter cabinets are white (SW Extra White) and I don’t want the whites in the quartzites to look off with the whites in the cabinets.

2. Would a perimeter countertop without movement with help the kitchen seem less busy?

3. The island is 5.5’x7’ and will basically be a full slab. The island cabients are stained.....I’m ok with the 2 countetop and 2 cabinet colors if done well.

So, what are your thoughts on mixing any of these quartzites with a coupe of the more solid colored options below?

Comments (29)

• Rachel
    3 years ago

Just stopping in to say I love that first slab of quartzite.

• Jacqueline Markin-Geyer
    3 years ago

I did my island in a material with lots of movement in it and then a solid white quartz on the perimeter. It looks amazing together. It allows you to have that big gorgeous slab that is a focal point and then the rest of the countertops look clean. Go for it!

countrygirl2323 thanked Jacqueline Markin-Geyer
  • megs1030
    3 years ago

100% agree with @felizlady. And yes, that first slab is breath-taking!

countrygirl2323 thanked megs1030
  • HU-852072570
    3 years ago

What is the name of the quartzite. Very beautiful

• countrygirl2323
    Original Author
    3 years ago

@felizlady The “close enough” thing is the thing I’m most worried about. It’s also why I’m a bit hesitant to use most of those quartzites on the white cabinets. I don’t want the cabinets to come off looking yellow, creamy, gray, etc. next to the quartzite. I thought I’d finally decided in that first quartzite (the mostly gray one) for all the countertops since its my favorite and I think it would play nicely with the Extra Whit’s cabinets. Unfortunately, I just called and they only have 2 slabs on stock and won’t get more for 8-10 weeks. My fabricator said the kitchen should only need 2 slabs, but really wants me to reserve 3 to be safe. So now I either have to choose one of the others or mix countertop choices.

• countrygirl2323
    Original Author
    3 years ago

@Jacqueline Markin-Geyer I’d love to see pictures if you have any.

• countrygirl2323
    Original Author
    3 years ago

@HU-852072570 Which slab? The first one? If so, that’s Gray Canyon. It’s definitely my favorite.

• hu818472722
    3 years ago

What color is the stain on your island? Wood tone or Grey? If your favorite is the Grey Canyon then a lighter grey or cement like tone solid could be a softer match on your white cabinets.

countrygirl2323 thanked hu818472722
  • calidesign
    3 years ago

Why not use the quartzite you like, with movement, on the white perimeter cabinets and a solid white quartz on the stained island. I think that would look better than white countertops on white cabinets with two dark elements on the island.

countrygirl2323 thanked calidesign
  • PRO
    Beth H. :
    3 years ago

I did a marble on my island and a soft gray quartz on the perimeter. I'd pick something like that for yours. if you want the darker option, then do the solid, nothing w/any movement.

I thought about doing the charcoal quartz (Silestone) but I have a lot of black in here and figured it would be too dark. the warmer gray is perfect.

countrygirl2323 thanked Beth H. :
  • felizlady
    3 years ago

There are so many whites and so many grays that there are many opportunities to find a white or gray that matches the gray in your selected counter material and the white of your perimeter cabinets. Your island and perimeter cabinets occupy the same space and you will see the gray and the white all in one glance. If you can get a sample of your island quartzite, you can take it to the paint store and the place where you will select your perimeter counter material, making it easier to get a match.

countrygirl2323 thanked felizlady
  • countrygirl2323
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Updating after meeting with the designer today that I’m working with.

I think I’m going with the Glacier Wave quartzite. She knows I have a pretty casual vibe and suggested going with the quartzite on the island and honed Nero Mist granite on the perimeter. However, her recommendation was based on pics I took a couple weeks ago. So I stopped by the stone yard again today after talking with her with stain color and paint color samples in hand and got new pics. After seeing them again in person, I’m questioning if the granite is too black/the veins in the quartzite might not be black enough for the two to work together. Thoughts? And is there too much movement in the granite to work with the quartzite?

Oh, and the white is the SW Extra White that will be on the perimeter cabinets. The lightest stain color on the board is the stain color for the island. The walls will be SW Amazing Gray with SW Worldly Gray leading down the hall away from the big great room/kitchen/dining area (those are the two tiny paint chips in the pictures).

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    3 years ago

on that white one, just make sure you sign off on where it's going to be cut. (unless you're using that for an island?) otherwise, at 24" deep, you may get the veining, or not.

countrygirl2323 thanked Beth H. :
  • lucky998877
    3 years ago

Have you checked Amazing Gray in your space? I painted it on my north facing walls 10 years ago...it took me until all 3 rooms were painted to admit that the prison/lifeless gray was not going away. Case specific, of course.

countrygirl2323 thanked lucky998877
  • countrygirl2323
    Original Author
    3 years ago

@Beth H. :Yes, that whiteish one will be on the island for sure. Just debating what to do on the perimeter....the same quartzite or that honed Nero Mist granite. The way it would be cut on the perimeter is definitely something I’m considering so one piece isn’t completely solid and another veined.

• countrygirl2323
    Original Author
    3 years ago

@lucky998877 I haven‘t, but that’s a good idea. It may not be super accurate since it’s a new build and the drywall isn‘t even up yet, but it should be able to help rule out anything super offensive. We don’t have any north facing walls planned for the Amazon Gray, so that’s a good start.

• Rachel
    3 years ago

I know many people here on Houzz would say not to use two different stones but to my eye, the veining in the black is pretty subtle and I like it with the quartzite. My opinion only and I'm not a pro. FWIW, I went through this for a new build 6 months ago. I have a dark gray (leaning blue) island and white perimeter cabinets. I picked the stone for the island like you, then looked for something I liked for the perimeter. After about 6 trips to various stone yards, I used the same stone all over. It is a unifying element and I'm happy I ended up going this course.

countrygirl2323 thanked Rachel
  • hu818472722
    3 years ago

A 5ft-5" by 7ft Island is bigger than a queen size bed, so I just wanted to show you this kitchen which has the wood island and white perimeter cabinets that is closer to 48"-50" in a room with vaulted ceilings. Going with an engineered modern grey white quartz with veining may be similar in cost to what your looking at. A slab with a pattern on one side and not the other is just not balanced. Standing 5ft away from people sitting at an Island is not cozy, awkward like the current 6 foot social distancing, not to mention dancing around it to clean it. What is the purpose of your Island? Storage or seating? Maybe you have the space, I may be wrong but such a big investment should be carefully considered, so glad you are taking the time to research your options. Love this kitchen by Joanna Gaines, https://cdn.onekindesign.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/08/Unbelievable-Rustic-Kitchen-Design-Ideas-039-1-Kindesign.jpg.

countrygirl2323 thanked hu818472722
  • countrygirl2323
    Original Author
    3 years ago

@Rachel thanks for your feedback. I do like the idea of keeping the two the same to be a unifying element. However, I like the cost savings I‘d get by mixing the (so I can spend more elsewhere😉), and also the idea of the slightly less finicky granite near my sink and stovetop as opposed to the quartzite. Plus, it might be easier to find a backsplash if it’s not right up against the quartzite and up against the black granite instead. Decisions are so hard!

• countrygirl2323
    Original Author
    3 years ago

@hu818472722 Thanks, I appreciate your feedback. It is a large island and I understand it may not be everyone’s preference, but it is definitely the direction we want to go and meets the needs of our family and the way we use the kitchen. The engineered quartz would be quite a cost savings, but we want to go with natural stone in this kitchen.

• Jacqueline Markin-Geyer
    3 years ago

Hi there, I am including my photo just give an idea for you! My island is pretty big too. It is porcelain and my counters are quartz

countrygirl2323 thanked Jacqueline Markin-Geyer
  • Mom
    3 years ago

I have a much smaller island (and a much smaller kitchen!) but did use a leathered Virginia Mist for the perimeter and Fusion quartzite for the island. It worked out fine for me.

countrygirl2323 thanked Mom
  • countrygirl2323
    Original Author
    3 years ago

@Jacqueline Markin-Geyer very pretty! You did a nice job of mixing various materials and having them all coordinate together.

@Mom what finish do you have on your cabinets? Any pics?

• Mom
    3 years ago

My cabinets are Dunn Edwards Whisper, which I do love but which skews a bit yellow in the wrong light. 🤷🏻‍♀️ I used some of the Fusion as an accent above the cooktop which apparently is not considered a good thing here on Houzz but my family and friends like it. The small island is two level (counter height and table height) so that two family members who were in wheelchairs could participate in kitchen activities. Photo attached! Good luck!

• Rachel
    3 years ago

@Mom, I'd love to see photos also.

• countrygirl2323
    Original Author
    3 years ago

@Mom that fusion quartzite is gorgeous! Very pretty kitchen.

• Rachel
    3 years ago

@Mom, that fusion is really something and thank you for sharing! I think with that stone you definitely made a good choice to go with something quieter on the perimeter.

• YC C
    3 years ago

@countrygirl2323 wondering what did you go with? Also interested in a honed black mist slab for the perimeter. Thanks!