Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ashley_forrest47

Balancing the space?

Ashley Forrest
3 years ago

How would you lighted up this space without getting rid of anything? Every piece of furniture is visually heavy, but we have reasons to hang on to each thind. Could paint, slipcovers, new rug or anything actually help?

Comments (37)

• Olychick
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

Even though you say everything must stay, I don't think it looks like there is too much heavy furniture except for the coffee table. If you could replace that with something with legs so it doesn't take up so much visual space, it would go a long way to lightening the feel of the room. And add some lamps so there is better lighting. A rug could add some much needed color and pattern.

You could easily paint out the bookcases, if you still think there are too many dark, heavy things.

• carolanneboyle
    3 years ago

Move the bookcases. And maybe paint them white

• Ashley Forrest
    Original Author
    3 years ago

thank you! Yes! changing out the coffee table would help a ton! we use it for blanket storage. I'll keep a look out for a lighter one though.

• jck910
    3 years ago

Hanging the TV on the wall would help. Can you post a picture of the TV wall without the glare

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    3 years ago

IMO too much furniture so at least remove the bookcases and add some lamps.

• HU-187528210
    3 years ago

Agreed to remove the cabinets. And yes to a new coffee table. I think it’ll make all the difference. What about a new rug and new lighting?

• Ashley Forrest
    Original Author
    3 years ago

The cases are very sentimental so I really would like to keep them. I actually have a third that is out of the shot. They are dark and heavy, so I'm looking into having them professionally painted white. Would that help? I'd love for them to look like more like built-ins

I have been looking for a new rug, but cannot make up mind as what to go with. Any suggestions? And lamps! Ha! Of course! Why didn't I thin of that?

• Olychick
    3 years ago

If you want the cases to look like built-ins, is there somewhere in the room where they can be used together? More pics (and better ones) of your room would help.

• HU-187528210
    3 years ago

Omg didn’t even read he above comment. Was going to suggest just that. Awesome idea. And I think that will be a great design compromise

• Ashley Forrest
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Ill do my best to get better pictures tomorrow. Sun was setting when I took these pictures so they are still quite dark.

Here's what I am currently thinking: the wall where the TV is located is a half wall over the stairs. Its the only place where square footage allows for the bookcases to be placed together. (The wall in the dinning area cannot be used. We ordered a new table large enough to fit out VERY tall-I'm 6ft3in- family, and it requires all the square footage there) I'm planning to rearrange the space and place all 3(!) cases together there. Then I was thinking of layering a couch in front of that and placing the TV in the corner between the windows, balancing that focal point, hopefully.

I also found a vintage oriental rug today that large enough for my space! I really want to go for that urban, worldly transitional style. And I think that will work.

Example

Traditional Shingled Gambrel Retreat · More Info

Transitional Family Room · More Info

We're painting the walls too soon. I'm thinking Chantilly Lace. Lighten the place up some. I would like to paint the wall on the right that flows into the dinning space a dark blue. Add a nice large abstract art piece over the dining table. I think that might balance the height of the cases and kitchen cabinets. Maybe I won't need to paint the bookcase then... Ooh and the ceilings white....i can't believe the flipper of my home painted them the same color as the walls....

thoughts????

• lkloes
    3 years ago

It looks like you have three bookcases in three corners. Can you move the one next to the TV to the dining area to open up that space near the TV a bit?

• Ashley Forrest
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Worth a try... I think it will make the space cramped though, come time for the table to go in there.

• Olychick
    3 years ago

Wow, you move fast! Sounds like you have a great plan to try and you won't know if you like it until you do. The house doesn't look dark to me, esp in these new pics. It actually looks light and bright, but I think you're right about the balance being a bit off.

I wonder if, with the other changes, if you even need to paint? I think same color ceilings are pretty common these days and your paint color provides a nice contrast with your white cabinets.

Be sure and post progress pics!

• Ashley Forrest
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Covid isolation and maternity leave means I am sooo needing to occupy my time. Lol.

• Ashley Forrest
    Original Author
    3 years ago

@Olychick Unfortunately the flipper also used flat paint on the walls. It's not holding up well, especially with a three year of running around, so paint needs to happen... Just nit set on a color....you like the Grey?

• Olychick
    3 years ago

I'm not sold on gray, I just think having a color with some contrast to the cabinets would be good. I'm sure you'll make it to your liking and having better paint will be a bonus with a toddler.

• Ashley Forrest
    Original Author
    3 years ago

moved the furniture and I'm digging it. i remember why I loved these cabinets so much. They feel so prestigious when put together! i even like the slightly off centered tv in the corner. it adds interest! going to look at an Oriental rug tomorrow afternoon.

now I just have to figure out how to plug in a lamp in the middle of a room. haha.

• Olychick
    3 years ago

they do look really nice all together!

• HU-187528210
    3 years ago

So much better!!!

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    3 years ago

Are those bookcases designed for a child's bedroom. They are too short for this room IMO.

• Ashley Forrest
    Original Author
    3 years ago

You're funny @BeverlyFLADeziner... They are not built for thus space.. That's for sure.. Trying to make them work. They are very sentimental.

• Olychick
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

"Are those bookcases designed for a child's bedroom. They are too short for this room IMO."

You know, sometimes people want to or have to work with what they have. Not everyone has the funds or the will to just toss things and get what someone else thinks would be better.

Unhelpful comments are just that.

• Ashley Forrest
    Original Author
    3 years ago

@Olychick...read my mind. But also... I think adding some height on top isn't necessarily a bad thing. Some people are just tone deaf. Thanks for sticking up for me though.

• Olychick
    3 years ago

I agree, but some people continue to post insulting things over and over again. That's more than tone deaf.

• Cheryl Smith
    3 years ago

i do like the bookcases together. with your first pictures I thought they were all corner units. I know you said they can't go in the dining room but I really think centered on that wall would be the best. I would look for a different table that is narrower than getting one that is larger. its just going to make the room feel even more cramped. I would also try the TV flat on the front window wall

• kiffkat
    3 years ago

I think the bookcases look so much better together! Repainting them a crisp white would really brighten up the space and as for the height, I would just add a few tall accessories on top of the book case (instead of the small plants) to visually give it more height.

• Ashley Forrest
    Original Author
    3 years ago

I completely agree that that is the very best space for the shelves, however we looked for AGES for the table. Not knocking knees was a big deal for my husband. He's 6'6" and I'm 6'2." We could continue to look I suppose.

• Ashley Forrest
    Original Author
    3 years ago

@KiffKat, was just looking for the right things to add. ❤️

• Ashley Forrest
    Original Author
    3 years ago

and yep! painting them white is something I'm definitely planning on.

• mjlb
    3 years ago

I think adding tall decorative items to the top of the bookcase sounds great. Another alternative to add height might be to add a plinth base (although I don't know how much that would cost...)

• Ashley Forrest
    Original Author
    3 years ago

curious thought mjlb.... i am having them professionally painted this summer. perhaps then is the time to build something for them to sit on.

they have a little molding at the bottom. i wonder if I can make it look seamless with a new base.

• olychick
    3 years ago

I think if you’re having them painted it would be easy to disguise an add on at the base. Think about anchoring them to the wall so they don’t get pulled over on your toddler. Especially if you increase the height, they could become top heavy.

• Ashley Forrest
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Excellent point. thank you. ❤️❤️❤️

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    3 years ago

Olychick, where have you been girl???????

• Ashley Forrest
    Original Author
    3 years ago

I got my rug, and I am OBSESSED! $250 for a 40year old, hand-tufted wool 10x14ft orientatial rug. 😍😍😍 it just sets the space off!

• mjlb
    3 years ago

Congrats!